IJEP 42(7): 857-862 : Vol. 42 Issue. 7 (July 2022)
1. CMR College of Engineering and Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, Kandlakoya, Hyderabad – 501 401, Telangana, India
2. Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology (A), Department of Biotechnology, Gandipet, Hyderabad – 500 075, Telangana, India
3. Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology (A), Department of Physics, Gandipet, Hyderabad – 500 075, Telangana, India
A comprehensive investigation is done to assess the effect of leachate generated from municipal solid waste dumping yard on groundwater quality by using physico-chemical parameters of groundwater in Jawaharnagar Mandal, Hyderabad, Telangana state. The groundwater samples were collected from bore wells, 2 km around the municipal solid waste dumping site and the physico-chemical analysis of the water samples was done. All major parameters, like pH, electrical conductivity, total dissolved solids, turbidity, chemical oxygen demand, biological oxygen demand, acidity, alkalinity, major cations (calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium) and anions (chloride, nitrate, fluoride and sulphate) were determined for 20 samples and these values were compared with the standard values prescribed by Bureau of Indian Standard and World Health Organisation. The results indicate that the groundwater in this area is unfit for drinking and irrigation purposes. The study suggests the need for effective solid waste management to improve the quality of groundwater. The study also suggests periodical evaluation of the water quality parameters for better understanding of variation in water quality.
Groundwater, Leachate, Physico-chemical parameters, Solid waste, Drinking water, Hyderabad
- Akinbile, C.O. and M.S. Yusuff. 2011. Environmental impact of leachate pollution on groundwater supplies in Akure, Nigeria. Int. J. Env. Sci. Develop., 2(1):81-86.
- Christensen, J.B., et al. 1998. Characterization of the dissolved organic carbon fraction in landfill leachate-polluted groundwater. Water Res., 32(1): 125-135.
- WHO. 2006. Protecting goundwater for health : Managing the quality of drinking water sources. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- APHA, AWWA, WPCF. 1989. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (16th edn). American Public Health Association, Washington D.C.
- APHA. 2012. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (22nd edn). American Public Health Association, Washington D.C.
- Reddy, Y.S., et al. 2020. Geochemical studies on the groundwater of Kistapur village, Medachal district, Telangana. Indian J. Env. Prot., 40(8):887-891.
- IS 10500. 2012. Drinking water specification (second revision). Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- USPHS. 1962. US Public Health Service drinking water standards (revised 1962). PHS Publication No. 956. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Public Health Service, Washington.
- ICMR. 1975. Manual of standards of quality for drinking water supplies. ICMR, New Delhi, India.