IJEP 41(1): 107-113 : Vol. 41 Issue. 1 (January 2021)
1. Indian Institute of Technology, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad – 826 004, Jharkhand, India
2. Gautam Buddha University, Greater Noida – 201 308, Uttar Pradesh, India
The wastewater discharged by slaughterhouse industries is categorized mainly by high COD, high BOD, high suspended and complex mixture of fats, proteins and fibres which needs systematic treatment before the disposal. In the present study, the performance of 3.26 L upflows anaerobic hybrid reactor treating the slaughterhouse wastewater with polyvinyl chloride (PVC) uses as filter media was investigated. For seeding, the reactor is inoculated with activated sludge from a upflow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) reactor treating the slaughterhouse wastewater. After seeding, the reactor with maintained, inlet flow of 135.72 mL/hr is loaded with different dilution ratios of the sample (1/10, 1/6, 1/4 and 1/1 or undiluted) with different COD loadings (9.281 kg.COD/m3 day, 10.149 kg.COD/m3 day, 9.263 kg.COD/m3 day and 11.210 kg.COD/m3 day) with HRT of 24 hr and achieved maximum COD removal efficiency upto 73.32% at COD loading of 11.210 kg.COD/m3 day. Alongwith the COD, other required parameters, such as phosphorus, BOD, TSS, VSS and volatile acid as acetic acid are also found out to check the efficiency of the reactor.
Slaughterhouse waste, Anaerobic digestion, Anaerobic filter, UASB reactor, Chemical oxygen demand
- Banu, J.R., S. Kaliappan and I.T. Yeom. 2007. Treatment of domestic wastewater using upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 4(3): 363-370.
- Masse, D.I. and L. Masse. 2000. Treatment of slaughterhouse wastewater in anaerobic sequencing batch reactors. Canadian Agric. Eng., 42(3): 131-137.
- Jhung, J. K. and E. Choi. 1995. Relative study of USB and anaerobic fixed film reactor with the development of sludge granulation. Water Res., 29(1): 271-277.
- Juang and D.F. Chiou. 2007. Population structures in activated sludge earlier and after the application of synthetic polymer. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 4(1): 119-125.
- Liu, R. R., et al. 2010. Hybrid anaerobic baffled reactor for the treatment of resizing wastewater. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 7(1): 111-118.
- Jawed, M. and V. Tare. 1999. Microbial configuration assessment of anaerobic biomass through methanogenic activity tests. Water SA., 25(3): 345-350.
- Jawed, M. and V. Tare. 2000. Post-mortem assessment and study of anaerobic filters. Biores. Tech., 72(1): 75-84.
- Ruiz, I., et al. 1997. Treatment of slaughterhouse wastewater in an anaerobic filter and UASB reactors. Biores. Tech., 60(3): 251-258.
- Delpozo, R., V. Diez and S. Beltran. 2000. Anaerobic pre-treatment of slaughterhouse wastewater with the help of fixed-film reactors. Biores. Tech., 71(2): 143-149.
- Chan, Y.J., et al. 2009. Anaerobic-aerobic treatment of industrial and municipal wastewater: A review. Chem. Eng. J., 155: 1-18.
- Debik, E. and T. Coskun. 2009. Use of the static granular bed reactor (SGBR) with anaerobic sludge to treat poultry slaughterhouse wastewater and kinetic modeling. Bioresour. Tech., 100: 2777-2782.
- Tawfik, A. and H. El-Kamah. 2012. Treatment of fruit-juice industry wastewater in a two-stage anaerobic hybrid (AH) reactor system followed by a sequencing batch reactor (SBR). Env. Tech., 33: 429-436.
- Braguglia, C.M., A. Gianico and G. Mininni. 2012. Comparison between ozone and ultrasound disintegration on sludge anaerobic digestion. J. Env. Manage., 95: S139-S143.
- Callegari, A., V. Torretta and A.G. Capodaglio. 2013. Introductory test application of biological desulfonation in anaerobic digestors from pig farms. Env. Eng. Manage. J., 12(4): 815-819.
- Rada, E.C., M. Ragazzi and V. Torretta. 2013. Laboratory-scale anaerobic sequencing batch reactor for treatment of stillage from fruit distillation. Water Sci. Tech., 67: 1068-1074.
- Rada, E.C. and M. Ragazzi. 2008. Critical analysis of PCDD/F emissions from anaerobic digestion. Water Sci. Tech., 58: 1721-1725.
- Torretta, C. F., M. Leonardi and G. Ruggeri. 2012. Energy regaining from sludge and sustainable development: A Tanzanian case study. Sustainability. 4: 2661-2672.
- Behera, S.K., E. R. Rene and D.V.S. Murthy. 2007. Performance of up-flow anoxic bioreactor for wastewater treatment. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 4(2): 247-252.
- Delpozo, R. and V. Diez. 2005. Integrated anaerobic-aerobic fixed-film reactor for slaughterhouse wastewater treatment. Water Res., 39: 1114–1122.
- Hulshoff-Pol, L.W., et al. 1983. Granulation in UASB reactors. Water Sci. Tech., 15(8/9): 291-304.
- Grotenhuis, J.T.C., et al. 1991. Role of substrate concentration in particle size circulation of methanogenic granular sludge in UASB reactors. Water Res., 25(1): 21-27.
- Borja, R. and C.J. Banks. 1995. Assessment of an anaerobic filter and anaerobic fluidized bed reactor discussing palm oil mill effluent. Process Biochem. 30(6): 511-521.
- Bicheldey, T.K. and E. Latushkina. 2010. Biogas release prognosis at the landfills. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 7(4): 623-628.
- Iscen, F.C., S. Ilhan and M.E. Yildirim. 2007. Treatment of cake fabrication wastewater in upflow anaerobic packed bed reactors. Int. J. Natural Eng. Sci., 1(3): 75-80.
- Guerrero, L., et al. 1997. Treatment of saline wastewaters from fish meal factories in an anaerobic filter under great ammonia concentrations. Biores. Tech., 61(1): 69-78.