IJEP 41(12): 1335-1344 : Vol. 41 Issue. 12 (December 2021)
Mausam Kumar Paul and Mithra Dey*
Assam University, Department of Ecology and Environmental Science, Silchar – 788 011, Assam, India
Physico-chemical parameters, Water quality index, Municipal solid waste, Pollution, Environment
- Manohara, B. and S.L. Belagali. 2014. Characterization of essential nutrients and heavy metals during municipal solid waste composting. Int. J. Innovative Res. Sci., Eng., Tech., 3(2):9664-9672.
- Singhal, S. and S. Pandey. 2001. Solid waste management in India : Status and future directions. TERI Information Monit. Env. Res. Tech., 6(1):1-4.
- Choudhury, M. and M. Choudhury. 2014. Trends of urban solid waste management in Agartala city, Tripura, India. Universal J. Env. Res. Tech., 4(4).
- Pandey, S.K., P. Tyagi and A.K. Gupta. 2007. Municipal soild waste management in Ghazipur city-A case study. J. Agric. Biol. Sci., 2(6):41-43.
- CPCB. 2017. Annual progress report. Central Pollution Control Board, New Delhi, India.
- Kansal, A., R.K. Prasad and S. Gupta. 1998. Delhi municipal solid waste and environment-An appraisal. Indian J. Env. Prot., 18(2):123-128.
- Nabegu, A.B. 2010. An analysis of municipal solid waste in Kano metropolis, Nigeria. J. Human Ecol., 31(2):111-119.
- Manfredi, S., et al. 2009. Land filling of waste : Accounting of greenhouse gases and global warming contributions. Waste Manage. Res., 27(8):825-836.
- Singh, S.K., et al. 2016. Greenhouse gas emissions from landfills : A case of NCT of Delhi, India. J. Cli-matol. Weather Forecasting. 4(1):157.
- CPCB. 2000. Management of municipal solid waste. Central Pollution Control Board, New Delhi, India.
- Sankoh, F.P., X. Yan and Q. Tran. 2013. Environmental and health impact of solid waste disposal in developing cities : A case study of granville brook dumpsite, Freetown, Sierra Leone. J. Env. Prot., 4:665-670.
- Abbas, T., et al. 2018. Impact of municipal solid waste on groundwater quality in Jhang city, Punjab, Pakistan. J. Biodiversity Env. Sci., 12 (1):134-141.
- Hossain, M.F., et al. 2018. Solid waste disposal and its impact on surrounding environment of Matu-ail landfill site, Dhaka, Bangladesh. American J. Env. Sci., 14(5):234.245.
- Choudhury, D. and S. Gupta. 2017. Impact of waste dump on surface water quality and aquatic insect diversity of deeper beel (Ramsar site), Assam, north-east India. Env. Monit. Assess., 180 (11): 540.
- Yogendra, K. and E.T. Puttaiah. 2008. Determination of water quality index and suitability of an urban waterbody in Shimoga town, Karnataka. Proceedings of Taal 2007: The 12th World Lake Conference. pp 342-346.
- Horton, R. K. 1965. An index number system for rating water quality. J. Water Poll. Control Fed., 37(3):300-306.
- Brown, R.M., et al. 1972. A water quality index-Crashing the psychological barrier. In Indicators of environmental quality. Springer, Boston, MA. pp 173-182.
- Tyagi, S., et al. 2013. Water quality assessment in terms of water quality index. American J. Water Resour., 1(3):34-38.
- Oni, O. and O. Fasakin. 2016. The use of quality index method to determine the potability of surface water and groundwater in the vicinity of a municipal solid waste dumpsite in Nigeria. American J. Eng. Res., 5(10):96-101.
- Singh, S., et al. 2016. Assessment of pollution potential of leachate from the municipal solid waste disposal site and its impact on groundwater quality, Varanasi environs, India. Arabian J. Geosci., 9(2):131.
- Misaghi, F., et al. 2017. Introducing a water quality index for assessing water for irrigation purposes: A case study of the Ghezel Ozan river. Sci. Total Env., 589:107-116.
- Paul, S., et al. 2019. Assessing the ecological impacts of ageing on hazard potential of solid waste landfills : A green approach through vermitechno-logy. J. Cleaner Production. 236(2):117643.
- Census of India. 2011. District census handbook: Cachar district. Registrar General of India.
- Trivedy, R.K. and P.K. Goel. 1984. Chemical and biological methods for water pollution studies. Environmental Publications, Karad.
- APHA. 2005. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (15th edn). American Public Health Association, Washington D.C.
- Goswami, U. 2007. A study on solid wastes in Guwahati city. Ph.D. Thesis. Gauhati University, Guwahati.
- WHO. 2011. Guidelines for drinking-water quality (4th edn). World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Maiti, S.K., et al. 2016. Characterization of leach-ate and its impact on surface and groundwater quality of a closed dumpsite- A case study at Dhapa, Kolkata, India. Procedia Env. Sci., 35:391-399.
- Usman, M., et al. 2017. A case study of groundwater contamination due to open dumping of municipal solid waste in Faisalabad, Pakistan. Earth Sci. Pakistan. 1(2):15-16.
- Kumar, M. and A. Puri. 2012. A review of permissible limits of drinking water. Indian J. Occup. Env. Medicine. 16(1):40.
- Naveen, B.P., J. Sumalatha and R.K. Malik. 2018. A study on contamination of ground and surface water bodies by leachate leakage from landfill in Bangalore, India. Int. J. Geoeng., 9(1):27.
- Demirbilek, D., et al. 2013. Characterization and pollution potential assessment of Tunceli, Turkey municipal solid wate open dumping site leachates. Env. Monit. Assess., 185(11):9435-9449.