IJEP 41(4): 437-444 : Vol. 41 Issue. 4 (April 2021)
1. Mahatma Gandhi Chitrakoot Gramodaya Vishwavidhalaya, Department of Physical Sciences, Faculty of Science and Environment, Chitrakoot – 485 334, Madhya Pradesh, India
2. Mahatma Gandhi Chitrakoot Gramodaya Vishwavidhalaya, Department Energy and Environment, Faculty of Science and Environment, Chitrakoot – 485 334, Madhya Pradesh, India
Study of physico-chemical parameters of effluent from Orient paper mill (OPM), Amalai and Son river were selected for assessment of water quality variation. During the study of 10 sampling stations were selected, out which 6 sampling stations were downstream of effluents running toward Son river and 4 sampling stations were in Son river nearby village area. The study was carried out during January to June, 2015. The colours were milky colloidal at sampling station SS-01 (Near first paper mill) and SS-02(Near first boiler tunnel). Effluent was found acidic in nature at sampling stations SS-01 and 02 near OPM. The higher mean values of TSS were 183.8±19.0 and 143.8±1.5mg/L at sampling stations SS-01and SS-02, respectively. The high mean value of alkalinity 239.5±20.7 mg/L was observed at sampling station SS-05. The higher mean values of total dissolve solids (TDS) were 1823±141.7, 1652.7±2.1 and 1086.8±149.7 mg/L at sampling stations SS-04, SS-05 and SS-01 respectively in effluents of OPM. The high mean value of potassium 45±7.3 mg/L was observed at sampling station SS-05. It was observed that the values of total dissolved solid, hardness, calcium and sodium were fluctuated widely from station to stations which were an indication of pollution in paper mill effluent. Water sample of Son river was yellowish in colour at the sampling station SS-07. The higher mean turbidity was found at sampling station SS-01 and SS-02, in effluents of OPM, Amalai during the study.
Effluent, Son river, Orient paper mill, Physico-chemical parameters
- Mandal, T.N. and T.N. Bandana. 1996. Studies on physico-chemical and biological characteristics of pulp and paper mill effluents and its impact on human beings. J. Fresh Water Biol., 8:191-196.
- Yadav, S.K. 2006. Human health implications due to water toxicity by pulp cum paper mill. J. Human Ecol., 20(2):91-96.
- Singh, S.K. and J.P.N. Rai. 2003. Pollution studies on river Ganga in Allahabad. Poll. Res., 22:469-472.
- Tiwari, D. 2004. Pollution potential of the wastes polluting river Pandu nature. Env. Poll. Tech., 3:219-221.
- APHA, AWWA, WPCF. 2005. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (21st edn). American Public Health Association, Washington, D.C.
- IS:10500. 2012. Drinking water specification (2 nd revision). Bureau of Indian Standards, New
- Yadav, S. and N. Yadav. 2014. Physico-chemical study of paper-mill effluent : To asses pollution release to environment. Int. J. Env. Sci., 4(5):1053-1057.
- Chan, A.A. 2006. Attempted biofiltration of reduced sulphur compound from a pulp and paper mill in northern Sweden. Env. Progress Sustainable Energy. 25(2):152-160.
- Sharma, A. and A. Ramotra. 2014. Physico-chemical analysis of paper industry effluents in Jammu city (J. and K.). Int. J. Sci. Res. Publi., 4(10):1-4.
- Mahish, P.K. 2015. Physico-chemical assessment of pond water, municipal sewage and industrial effluent of Rajnandgaon (Chattisgarh). Int. J. Sci. Env. Tech., 4(6):1549-1557.
- Pual, W. 2011. Impact of industrial effluents on water quality of receiving streams in Nakwa-Ntinda, Uganda. Dissertation, Makerere University.
- Giri, J., et al. 2014. Effluent from paper and pulp industries and their impact on soil properties and chemical composition of plants in Uttarakhand. J. Env. Waste Manage., 1(1):26-32.
- Pandey, R., D. Raghuvanshi and D.N. Shukla. 2014. Assessment of physico-chemical parameters of river Ganga at Allahabad with respect to WQI. Int. J. Innovative Res. Sci. Eng. Tech., 3(9):16339-16349.
- Manikandan, P., et al. 2015. Physico-chemical analysis of textile industries effluents for Tirupur city, Tamil Nadu. Int. J. Adv. Res. Sci. Eng., 4(2): 93-104.
- Saravana-Sundaram, E.J., et al. 2014. Effluents of paper mill : Physico-chemical properties of water. Int. J. Chem. Tech. Res., 6(7):3541-3545.
- Gupta, N., et al. 2013. Assessment of physico-chemical properties of Yamuna river in Agra city. Int. J. Chem. Tech. Res., 5(1):528-531.