IJEP 41(5): 596-600 : Vol. 41 Issue. 5 (May 2021)
College of Non-Conventional Vocational Courses for Women Kolhapur – 416 004, Maharashtra, India
Agriculture and mining practices have been the earliest endeavours of humankind. It is the extraction of mineral wealth from the earth. An indiscriminate mining activity causes massive damage to land fertility and biological communities. The study was conducted to evaluate the soil quality and impact of surface mining activities on different physico-chemical parameters of soils of agricultural land in Allipura which is located outside Ballari town, Karnataka. During the present study, the sand composition was found to be high at study sites, 66% and 64%, respectively. The silt proportion was less than clay at both sites. The moisture content was high station II than station I whereas the bulk density did not vary in both sites. The other chemical parameters, such as pH (6.5 ±0.126), organic matter (2.8±0.346), phosphorus (3.53±0.30), calcium (1.14±0.188) and magnesium (0.37±0.092) were high at station II. The total nitrogen (0.17 ±0.011) and potassium (0.36 ±0.18) values were comparatively high in the station I than at station II. Soil analyses demonstrated that there is a distinct variation in the level of nutrient elements of the surface soil. The possible reasons and reclamation measures are discussed.
Surface mining, Soil texture, Soil moisture, Bulk density, Nutrients
- Hassan, R., et al. 2014. Soil quality and plant nutrition. In Sustainable agriculture reviews (vol 14, chapter 11). Ed E. Lichtfouse. Springer International Publishing Switzerland, pp 345-447.
- USDA. 2018. Effects on soil water holding capacity and soil water retention resulting from soil health management practices implementation – A review of the literature. Posted to the NRCS Soil Health Website as of 9/2016 March 2018.
- Khoshoo, T.N. 1984. Environmental concerns and strategies. Indian Environmental Society, New Delhi. pp 296.
- Gebre, E.M. and W. Getaneh. 2012. Impact assessment and restoration of quarry site in urban environment: The case of Augusta quarry. Lambert Academic Publishing.
- Dunn, W.E. 1983. Chlorine extraction of gold. In Gold, silver, uranium and coal. Ed M.C. Fuertenau and B.R. Palmer. AIME, New York. pp 174-188.
- Indorante, S., I.J. Jansen and C.W. Boast. 1981. Surface mining and reclamation: Initial changes in soil character. J. Soil Water Conserv., 36:347–351.
- Boerner, R.E.J., A.J. Scherzer and J.A. Brinkman. 1998. Spatial patterns of inorganic nitrogen, phosphorous availability and organic carbon in relation to soil disturbance: A chronosequence analysis. Appl. Soil Ecol., 7:159–177.
- Hearing, K.C., W.L. Daniels and S.E. Feagley. 2000. Reclaiming mined lands with biosolids, manures and paper mill sludge. In Reclamation of drastically disturbed lands. Ed R.I. Barnhisel et al. ASA, CSSA and SSSA, Madison, WI. pp 615–644.
- Burger, J.A. 2004. Restoring forests on mined land in the Appalachians: Results and outcomes of a 20-year research program. In Proceedings of a Joint Conference of American Society of Mining and Reclamation (21st Annual National Conference). 25th West Virginia Surface Mine Drainage Task Force Symposium, Morgantown, WV.
- Roberts, J.A., et al.1988. Early stages of mine soil genesis in a southwest Virginia spoil lithosequence. Soil Sci. Society American J., 52:716–723.
- Brayan, P. 2008. Mining and the environment particulars. Some problems of strata control in pillar workings. Mining Engineer. 194:1-5
- Li, G.X.J., et al. 2014. Chemical properties of soil layers of restoration sites in phosphate mining area, China. Env. Earth Sci., 73:2027–2030.
- Liu, W.X., et al. 2003. Multivariate statistical study of heavy metal enrichment in sediments of the Pearl river estuary. Env. Poll.,121(3):377–388.
- Poulin, R. and K. Singing. 1993. Mining economic and environment. Natural Resour. Forum. 17(2): 157-163. DOI: 10.1111/j.1477-8947.1993.tb00 171.x.
- Khanna, T. 1999. Mining and the environmental agenda. Mining Magazine. 183(1): 158–163.
- Thomas, S. E. 2014. The horrors of Bellary. In Climate change, corporate accountability, indigenous struggles for land, mining scams and urban displacement. Intercultural resources, New Delhi.
- FAO. 2006. Guidelines for soil description (4th edn). Food and Agriculture Organization, United Nation. pp 106.
- Anderson, S.E. and J.S.I. Ingram. 1989. Tropical soil biology and fertility: A handbook of methods. C.A.B. International, Aberystwyth.
- Blake, G.R. and K.H. Hartge. 1986. Bulk density. In Methods of soil analysis (Part 1). Physical and mineralogical methods (2nd edn). Agronomy Monograph no. 9, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, USA. pp 363-373.
- Walkley, A.J. and I.A. Blake. 1934. An examination of the Degtjareff method for determining soil organic matter and a proposed modification of the chromic acid titration method. Soil Sci.,37(1):29-38.
- Tandon, H.L.S. 1993. Methods of analysis of soils, plants, water and fertilizer. Fertilizer Development and Consultation Organization, New Delhi.
- Olsen, S.P., et al. 1954. Estimation of available phosphorus in soil by extraction with sodium bi carbonate. United States Department of Agriculture Circular. pp 939
- Instruction manual no. 334 A, Flame Spectrophotometer. 1957. Beckman Scientific Instruments. Fullerton, California.
- Instruction manual model 303, Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer. 1964. Perkin-Elmer Corporation, Norwalk, Connecticut.
- Ciolkosz, et al.
- Paramasivam, C.R. and S. Anbazhagan. 2019. Soil fertility analysis in and around magnesite mines, Salem, India. Geol. Ecol. Landscapes. DOI: 10.10 80/24749508.2019.1608407.
- Barber, S.A. 1984. Soil nutrient bioavailability: A mechanistic approach (2nd edn). John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Extension. 2002. Organic matter mangament. University of Minnesota, pp:1-7.
- Tessema, H.F. 2007. Land degradation assessment at Idris resettlement scheme, Kafta Humera woreda, western zone of Tigray, Ethiopia. MSc Thesis. Addis Abeba University, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia.
- Foth, H.D. and B.G. Ellis. 1997. Soil fertility (2nd edn). Lewis CRC Press, LLC, Boca Raton. pp 290.
- Singh, B. B. 2015. In-vitro evaluation of Dichan-thium annulatum(Marvel grass) grass hay diets supplemented with browse foliage. Ind. J. Anim. Sci., 85(12): 1348-1353.
- Das, D. K. 2003. Introductory soil science. Kalyani Publishers, Ludhiana.