IJEP 41(6): 703-710 : Vol. 41 Issue. 6 (June 2021)
Eshanthini and Nandhakumar S.*
Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, Chennai – 600 119, Tamil Nadu, India
The water quality index (WQI) plays a vital role in determining the drinking water quality in an urban, rural and industrial area. WQI is defined as an index reflecting the composite influence of different water quality parameters which is considered and taken for calculation of the water quality index. In the present study, ten groundwater samples were collected from the Ennore area in the neighbourhood Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. The thirteen water quality parameters have been considered for the calculation of water quality index, namely pH, electrical conductivity (EC), total hardness (TH), total dissolved solids (TDS), total alkalinity (TA), sodium (Na+), potassium (K+), calcium (Ca2+), magnesium (Mg+), nitrate (NO3–), bicarbonate (HCO3–), chloride (Cl–), sulphate (SO42–). In this study Bureau of Indian Standard has been used to assess the suitability of groundwater for drinking purposes and for the calculation of WQI.
Ennore, Groundwater quality, Physico-chemical parameters, Water quality index, Water pollution
- Krishnan, G., et al. 2016. Assessment of water quality index (WQI) of groundwater in Rajkot district, Gujarat, India. J. Earth Sci. Climatic Change. 7(3): 1-4. DOI: 10.4172/2157-7617.1000341.
- Tyagi, S., et al. 2013. Water quality assessment in terms of water quality index. American J. Water Res., 1(3): 34-38.
- IS:10500. 2012. Specification for drinking water. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- WHO. 2012. Guidelines for drinking water quality (4th edn). World Health Organization, Geneva.
- U.S. EPA. 2009. National primary drinking water regulations (816-F-09-004). United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- Naik, S. and K. M. Purohit. 2001. Indian J. Env. Ecoplan., 5(2): 397-402.
- Suneetha, M., B. S. Sundar and K. Ravindhranath. 2015. Calculation of water quality index to assess the suitability of groundwater quality for drinking purposes in Vinukondamantal, Guntur district, Andhra Pradesh, India. J. Chem. Pharmaceutical Res., 7(9): 538-545.
- Boyacioglu, H. 2007. Surface water quality assessment by environmental methods. Env. Monit. Assess., 131(1-3): 371-376.
- Simeonov, V., et al. 2002. Environmental modelling and interpretation of river water monitoring data. Anal. Bioanal. Chem., 374(5): 898-905.
- Boyacioglu, H. 2006. Surface water quality assessment using factor analysis. Water SA. 32(3): 389-394.
- Horton, R. K. 1965. An index number system for rating water quality. J. Water Poll. Cont. Fed., 37(3): 300-305.
- Singh, P. K., A. K. Tiwari and M. K. Mahato. 2013. Qualities assessment of surface water of West Bokaro Coalfield, Jharkhand by using water quality index method. Int. J. Geotech. Res., 5: 2351-2356.
- APHA. 1999. Standard methods for examination of water and wastewater (20th edn). American Public Health Association.
- Ravikumar, P., M. A. Mehmood and R. K. Somashekar. 2013. Water quality index to determine the surface water quality of Sankey tank and Mallathahalli lake, Bangalore urban district, Karnataka, India. Appl. Water Sci., 3: 247-261.
- IS:10500. 1997. Indian standard drinking water specifications. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- WHO. 2004. Guideline for drinking water quality. Volume 2: Health criteria and other supporting information. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Pesce, S. F. and D. A. Wunderlin. 2000. Use of water quality indices to verify the impact of Córdoba city (Argentina) on Suquía river. Water Res., 34(11): 2915-2926.
- Pathak, V. and A. K. Banerjee. 1992. Mine water pollution studies in Chapha Incline, Umaria Coalfield, Eastern Madhya Pradesh, India. Mine Water Env., 11(2): 27-36.
- Kannel, P. R., et al. 2007. Application of water quality indices and dissolved oxygen as indicators for river water classification and urban impact assessment. Env. Monit. Assess., 132(1-3): 93-110. DOI: 10.1007/s10661-006-9505-1.
- Abrahao, R., et al. 2007. Use of index analysis to evaluate the water quality of a stream receiving industrial effluents. Water SA. 33(4): 459-465.
- Pawar, R. S., D. B. Panaskar and V. M. Wagh. 2014. Characterization of groundwater using water quality index of Solapur industrial belt, Maharashtra, India. Int. J. Res. Eng. Tech., 2(4): 31-36.
- Bairu, A., N. Tadesse and S. Amare. 2013. Use of geographic information system and water quality index to assess suitability of groundwater quality for drinking purposes in Hewane areas, Tigray, Northern Ethiopia. Ethiopian J. Env. Studies Manage., 6(2): 110-123.
- Ramin, N., et al. 2013. Development of innovative computer software to facilitate the setup and computation of water quality index. J. Env. Health Sci. Eng., 11(1): 1-10.
- Pathak, H. and S. N. Limaye. 2011. Pollumeter: A water quality index model for the assessment of water quality. Green Pages. Available at: https://www.eco-web.com/edi/110128.html.
- Brown, R. M., et al. 1972. A water quality index-crossing the psychological barriers. International Conference on Water pollution. Jerusalem. Proceedings. Volume 6, pp 787-797.
- Tiwari, J. N. and A. Manzoor. 1998. Water quality index for Indian rivers. In Ecology and pollution of Indian rivers. Ed R. K. Trivedy. Aashish Publishing House, New Delhi. pp 271-286.