IJEP 41(7): 780-784 : Vol. 41 Issue. 7 (July 2021)
1. Centurion University of Technology and Management, Department of Civil Engineering, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
2. MVGR College of Engineering (A), Department of Civil Engineering, Vizianagaram, India
Concrete is the most widely used construction material due to its mechanical and durability properties. Due to the use of ordinary portland cement in concrete production, CO2; emissions occur from cement leading to environmental pollution. The objective of the current study is to minimize the cement content in the concrete production. in this regard, cement is replaced with ground granulated blast furnace slag, alkaline solution is used for alkali activation to develop geopolymeriziation process and this type of concrete produced is called as alkali-activated slag based geopolymer concrete. Most of the research works available are related to heat-cured flyash based geopolymer concrete and less work on ambient cured. The present work is one such alternative method in producing ambient cured ground granulated blast furnace slag geopolymer concrete. The compressive strength of ambient cured slag based geopolymer concrete with and without superplasticizer is 5.5% and 8.7% higher than ordinary portland cement concrete, respectively.
Geopolymer concrete, Ambient cured geopolymer concrete, Slag based geopolymer concrete, superplasticizer geopolymer concrete, Sustainable concrete
- 2010. Available and emerging technologies for reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the portland cement industry. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C.
- Van Oss, H.G. 2005. Background facts and issues concerning cement and cement data. U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA.
- Vishwakarama, V. and D. Ramachandran. 2018. Green concrete mix using solid waste and nanoparticles as alternative – A review. Construction Building m, 162:96-103.
- Liew, K.M., A.D. Sojobi and L.W. Zhang. 2017. Green concrete : Prospects and challenges. Construction Building Mater., 156:1063-1095.
- Davidovits, J. 2013. Geopolymer cement : A review. Geopolymer Sci. Technics.
- Murtazaev, S.A.Y., et al. The use of highly active additives for the production of clinkerles
binders. International Symposium on Engineering and earth science : Applied and fundamental research (ISEES 2018). DOI : 10.2991/isees-18.2018.68.
- Shi, C., A.F. Jimenez and A. Palomo. 2011. New cements for the 21st century : The pursuit of an alternative to portland cement. Cement Concrete Res., 41 (7):750-763. doi:10.1016/j. cemconres. 2011.03.0.16.
- IS 455. 1989. Portland slag cement-Specification (reaffirmed 1995). Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi.
- IS 10289. 1987. Specification for granulated slage for the manufacture of portland slag cement (reaffirmed 1999). Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS 2720. 1980. Part 3: Methods of test for aggregates for specification (reaffirmed 2002). Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS 2386. 1963. Methods of test of aggregates for concrete : Part 3. Specific gravity, density, voids, absorption and bulking. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS 2386. 1963. Methods of test for aggregates for concrete : Part 1. Particle size and shape. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS 2645. 2003. Integral water proofing compounds for cement mortar and concrete-Specification (reaffirmed 2005). Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Patankar, S.V., Y.M. Ghugal and S.S. Jamkar. 2014. Mix design of flyash based geopolymer concrete. Structural Eng., 1619-1634. doi:10.1007/978-81-322-2187-6_123.
- Davidovits, J. Chemistry of geopolymeric systems, technologies. Proceedings of Second International Conference on geopolymer. Geopolymer Institue. pp 9-40.
- Davidovits, J. 2008. Geopolymer chemistry and applications (2nd edn). Institute Ge’opolyme’re, France.
- Nath, P. and P.K. Sarker. 2014. Effect of GG BFS on setting, workability and early strength properties of flyash geopolymer concerte cured in ambient condition. Construction Building Mater., 66:163-171. doi:1016/j.conbuildmat. 2014. 05.080.
- Nematollahi, B. and J. Saniyan. 2014. Effect of different superplasticizers and activator combinations on workability and strength of flyash based geopolymer. Elsevier (Materials Design). 5(57): 667-672.
- IS 456. 2000. Plain and reinforced concrete code of practice. Bureau of Indian Standards, New
- Nath, P. and P.K. Sarker. 2017. Flexural strength and elastic modulus of ambient-cured blended low-calcium flyash geopolymer concrete. Construction Building Mater., 130:22-31. doi:10.1016. j.conbuil-dmat. 2016.11.034.