IJEP 41(8): 884-892 : Vol. 41 Issue. 8 (August 2021)
Wazir Alam*, S. Keisham, R. J. Laishram, Y. Gyanendra and N. Nesa
Manipur University, Department of Forestry and Environmental Science, Canchipur, Impha l- 795 003, Manipur, India
Water quality and hydrogeochemical assessment of Imphal river water within Imphal city were carried out for pre-monsoon and post-monsoon seasons. Significant downstream variations in water quality parameters were observed for pH, temperature, EC, oxidation reduction potential (ORP), turbidity, total hardness, DO, NO3–, PO43-, SO42- and more distinct changes were observed during the post-monsoon season. Geochemical evaluation indicates Na+-K+-Cl–-HCO3– and Na+-K+-Cl–-HCO3–-SO42- type of water during pre-monsoon and post-monsoon, respectively. Statistical investigation indicates the factors controlling the Imphal river water quality as well as identifies the source of variation among the samples. Factor analyses were carried out for 4 factors that account for around 82.34% and 77.79% of the variability of the data during pre-monsoon and post-monsoon, respectively. Irrigation water quality was evaluated using an irrigational water quality index that exhibits overall satisfactory to good quality water.
Hydrochemistry, Multivariate analysis, Water quality index, Ecohydrology, Irrigational water, Urban runoff, Sewage disposal
- United Nations. 2018. Sustainable development goal 6: Synthesis report 2018 on water and sanitation. United Nations Publications, New York, USA.
- Chen, J., et al. 2002. Major element chemistry of the Changjiang (Yangtze river). Chem. Geol., 187: 231-255.
- Fashae, O. A., et al. 2019. Land use and surface water quality in an emerging urban city. Appl. Water Sci., 9(25): 1-12.
- Lake, P., N. Bond and P. Reich. 2017. Restoration ecology of intermittent rivers and ephemeral streams. In Intermittent rivers ephemeral stream. pp 509-533.
- Zhenghui, L., et al. 2012. Water quality index as a simple indicator of drinking water source in Dongjiang river, China. Int. J. Env. Prot., 2: 16-21.
- Laishram, R. J. and W. Alam. 2019. Geochemical assessment of Nambul river water quality for domestic and irrigation uses, Imphal, Manipur. Taiwan Water Conser., 7(4): 1-18.
- APHA. 2005. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (21st edn). American Public Health Association, Washington DC.
- Piper, A. M. 1953. A graphic procedure in the geochemical interpretation of water analysis. United States Geological Survey (USGS), Washington DC.
- Gibbs, R. J. 1970. Mechanism controlling world water chemistry. Sci., 170: 1088-1090.
- Prusty, P., et al. 2018. Assessment of the factors controlling groundwater quality in a coastal aquifer adjacent to the Bay of Bengal, India. Env. Earth. Sci., 77(22): 1-15.
- Hameed, A., et al. 2010. Application of water quality index for assessment of Dodkan lake ecosystem, Kurdistan region, Iraq. J. Water Resour. Prot., 2: 792-798.
- WHO. 2011. Guidelines for drinking water quality (4th edn). World Health Organization, Geneva, pp 224-334.
- Richards, L. A. 1954. Diagnosis and improvement of saline and alkali soils. In Agriculture handbook. US Department of Agriculture, Washington DC.
- Freeze, R. A. and J. A. Cherry. 1979. Groundwater. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Bouwer, H. 1978. Groundwater hydrology. McGraw-Hill Book, New York.
- Wilcox, L. V. 1955. Classification and use of irrigation waters. Salinity laboratory circulation, Washington, USA.
- USSLS. 1954. Diagnosis and improvement of saline and alkaline soils. In Agriculture handbook. United States Salinity Laboratory Staff, US Department of Agriculture, Washington DC.
- Doneen, L. D. 1964. Notes on water quality in agriculture. Water science and engineering paper 4001, Department of Water Sciences and Engineering, University of California, USA.