IJEP 41(9): 997-1003 : Vol. 41 Issue. 9 (September 2021)
1. Lovely Professional University, Department of Zoology, School of Bioengineering and Biosciences, Phagwara – 144 411, Punjab, India
2. Lovely Professional University, School of Agriculture, Phagwara – 144 411, Punjab, India
Adsorbents (beads) were prepared using chitosan and plant waste materials. The batch adsorption was conducted to investigate the adsorption of cefotaxime from water matrix by using these prepared beads. The effect of different adsorption parameters, such as pH (3-11), initial concentration (10-50 mg/L), reaction time (30-180 min) and adsorbent dosage (0.1-1 gm/50 mL) were evaluated. Inverse relation was found between adsorption percentage and antibiotic concentration in water, whereas direct relation was observed between adsorption percentage and adsorbent dosage. Maximum adsorption was found at pH 5 with different combination of beads-AWC beads (50% almond shell: 25% walnut shell: 25% chitosan), CAW (50% chitosan: 25% almond shell: 25% walnut shell) and WAC beads (50% walnut shell: 25% almond shell: 25% chitosan). Langmuir adsorption isotherm is well befitting in case of WAC beads and Freundlich adsorption for CAW beads whereas, ACW beads follow both Langmuir and Freundlich isotherm models. The rate of adsorption on beads follows Lagergren pseudo second order kinetics. The results indicated that beads in all the combinations can be used as a low-cost effective adsorbent in the treatment of wastewater.
Cefotaxime, Adsorption, Beads, Isotherms, Kinetics
- Gao, Y., et al. 2012. Adsorption and removal of tetracycline antibiotics from aqueous solution by graphene oxide. J. Colloid Interface Sci., 368(1):540-546.
- Gothwall, R. and S. Thhatikkonda. 2015. Antibiotic pollution in the environment : A review. Clean Soil Air Water. 43(4):479-489.
- Gao, J., et al. 2015. Azide-functionalized hollow silica nanospheres for removal of antibiotics. J. Colloid Interface Sci., 444:38-41.
- Wang, N., et al. 2019. Highly efficient adsorption of flouroquinolone antibiotics using chitosan derived granular hydrogel with 3D structure. J. Molecular liquids. 281:307-314.
- Mala, A.A. and J. Dutta. 2019. Acute and chronic toxicity of fluoroquinolone antibiotics through fresh water cladoceron Daphnia magna. Indian J. Ecol., 46(4):874-879.
- Ahsan, M. A., et al. 2018. Biomass conversion of saw dust to a functionalized carbonaceous materials for the removal of tetracycline, sulphame-thoxazole and bisphenol A from water. J. Env. Chem. Eng., 6(4):4329-4338.
- He, K., et al. 2015. Detection of a wide variety of human and veterinary fluoroquinolone antibiotics in municipal wastewater and wastewater impacted surface water. J. Pharmaceutical Biomedical Analysis. 106:136-143.
- Zhou, A., et al. 2016. Adsorptive removal of sulpha antibiotics from water using spent mushroom substrate, an agricultural waste. Desalination Water Treatment. 57(1):388-397.
- Ma, Y., et al. 2015. Occurrences and regional distributions of 20 antibiotics in water bodies during groundwater recharge. Sci. Total Env., 518:498-506.
- Jiang, W.T., et al. 2013. Removal of ciprofloxacin from water by birnesite. J. Hazard. Mater., 250:362-369.
- Guerra, P., et al. 2014. Occurrence and fate of antibiotic analgesic/anti-inflammatory and antifungal compounds in five wastewater treatment processes. Sci. Total Env., 473:235-243.
- Liang, X., et al. 2013. The distribution and partitioning of common antibiotics in water and sediment of the Pearl river estuary, South China. Chemosphere. 92(11): 1410-1416.
- Awad, Y. M., et al. 2014. Sorption of sulphonamides and tetracyclines to montmorillonite clay. Water Air Soil Poll., 209: 439-450.
- Zhang, R., et al. 2013. Antibiotics in the offshore waters of the Bohai sea and the Yellow sea in China : occurrence, distribution and ecological risks. Env. Poll., 174:71-77.
- Gonzalez-Pleiter, M., et al. 2013. Toxicity of five antibiotics and their mixtures towards photosynthetic aquatic organisms : Implications for environmental risk assessment. Water Res., 47(6): 2050-2064.
- Han, J., et al. 2016. Effects of trimethoprim on life history parameters oxidative stress and the expansion of cytochrome p450 genes in the copepod Tigriopus japonicus. Chemosphere. 159:159-165.
- Mala, A.A. and J. Dutta. 2019. Acute and chronic toxicity of fluoroquinolone antibiotics through freshwater cladoceran Daphnia magna. Indian J. Ecol., 46(4): 874-879.
- Garica-Galan, M. J., et al. 2016. Advanced oxidation of the antibiotic sulphapyridine by UV/H2O2: Characterization of its transformation products and ectoxicalogical implications. Chemosphere. 147:451-459.
- Yu, F., et al. 2016. Adsorptive removal of antibiotics from aqueous solution using carbon materials. Chemosphere. 153:365-385.
- El-Maddawy, Z. K. and A.H. Bogzil. 2015. Adverse effects of cefotaxime sodium in comparison with ceftiofur sodium in male rats. Int. J. Pharmacy Life Sci., 6(3):4291-4303.
- Amouzgar, P. and B. Salamatinia. 2015. A short review on presence of phamaceuticals in water bodies and the potential of chitosan and chitosan derivatives for elimination of pharmaceuticals. J. Mol. Genet. Med. DOI: 10.4172/1747-0862S41-001.
- Zularisam, A.W., A.F. Ismail and R. Salim. 2006. Behaviours of natural organic matter in membrane filtration for surface water treatment–A review. Desalination. 194(1):211-231.
- Balarak, D., H. Azarpira and F.K. Mostafapour. 2016. Study of the adsorption mechanisms of cephalexin onto Azolla filiculoids. Der Pharma Chemica. 8(10):114-121.
- Yu, X., et al. 2016. Distribution and persistence of cephalos porins in cephalosporin producing wastewater using SPE and UPLC-MS/MS method. Sci. Total Env., 569-23-30.
- Rathod, M., S. Haldar and S. Basha. 2015. Nanocrystalline cellulose for removal of tetracycline hydrochloride from water via biosorption : Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies. Ecol. Eng., 84:240-249.
- El-Shafey, El-Said Ibrahim, H. Al-Lawati and A.S. Al-Sumri. 2012. Ciprofloxacin adsorption from aqueous solution onto chemically prepared carbon from date palm leaflets. J. Env. Sci., 24(9):1579-1586.
- Xie, A., et al. 2016. Hierarchial porous carbon materials derived from a waste paper towel with ultrafast and ultrahigh performance for adsorption of tetracycline. RSC Adv., 6 (77):72985-72998.
- Ahmed, M., J. and S. K. Theydan. 2014. Fluoro-quinolones antibiotics adsorption onto microporous activated carbon from lignocellulosic biomass by microwave pyrolysis. J. Taiwan Institute Chem. Eng., 45(1): 219-226.
- Nazari, G., et al. 2016. Aqueous phase adsorption of cephalexin by walnut shell-based activated carbon : A fixed bed column study. Appl. Surface Sci., 375-144-153.
- Bajpai, S. K., M. Bajpai and N. Rai. 2012. Sorptive removal of ciprofloxacin hydrochloride from simulated wastewater using sawdust : kinetic study and effect of pH. Water SA. 38(5):673-682.
- Zheng, H., et al. 2013. Sorption of antibiotic sulphamethoxazole varies with biochars produced at different temperatures. Env. Poll., 181:60-67.
- Vakil, M., et al. 2015. Elimination of reactive blue 4 from aqueous solutions using 3-aminopropyl triethoxysilane modified chitosan beads. Carbohydrate Polymers. 132:89-96.
- Yu, Y., et al. 2017. Investigation of the removal mechanism of antibiotic ceftazidime by green algae and subsequent microbic impact assessment. Sci. Reports. 7(1):1-11.
- Avisar, D., et al. 2010. Sorption of sulphonamides and tetracyclines to montmorillonite clay. Water Air Soil Poll., 209(1-4):439-450.
- Liu, W., et al. 2011. Sorption of norfloxacin by lotus stalk-based-activated carbon and iron-doped activated alumina : Mechanisms, isotherms and kinetics. Chem. Eng. J., 171(2):431-438.
- Chen, Y., et al. 2016. Tetracycline adsorption onto rice husk ash, an agricultural waste : Its kinetic and thermodynamic studies. J. Molecular Liquids. 222:487-494.
- Kumar, M., H.S. Dosanjh and H. Singh. 2018. Removal of lead and copper metal ions in single and binary systems using biopolymer modified spinel ferrite. J. Env. Chem. Eng., 6(5):6194-6206.
- Mahmood, Noor Al-Huda J. and Y.R. Abdulmajeed. 2017. Adsorption of amoxicillin onto activated carbon from aqueous solution. Int. J. Curr. Eng. Tech., 7:62-67.
- Yadav, S., et al. Removal of fluoroquinolone from aqueous solution using carbon materials. Chemosphere. 153:365-385.
- Singh, M., H.S. Dosanjh and H. Singh. 2016. Surface modified spinel cobalt ferrite nanoparticles for cationic dye removal : Kinetics and thermodynamics studies. J. Water Process Eng., 11:152-161.
- Sutirman, Z. A., et al. 2018. New cross-linked-chitosan graftpoly (N-vinyl-2-pyrrolidone) for the removal of Cu (II) ions from aqueous solutions. Int. J. Biol. Macromolecules. 107:891-897.