IJEP 42(1): 45-51 : Vol. 42 Issue. 1 (January 2022)
1. Vellore Institute of Technology, School of Biosciences and Technology, Vellore – 632 014 , Tamil Nadu, India
2. Anna University, Centre for Biotechnology, Chennai – 600 025, Tamil Nadu, India
Increased industrial and human activities lead to release of pollutants in a hasty manner. Phosphate is one of the extensively released pollutants causing severe damage to water ecosystem. Current study is focused on the removal of phosphate by manganese oxide nanoparticles. Process influential parameters, like pH, concentration of phosphate, contact time, adsorbent dosage, ionic strength and temperature were optimized to enhance the process. Optimal phosphate removal upto 76% was achieved at pH 4 with phosphate concentration of 50 ppm within 30 min of contact time (adsorbent dosage- 1 g/L). Adsorption kinetics and isotherms studies were established. Pseudo-second order kinetic model and Freundlich adsorption isotherm model (R2>0.99) were found to fit very well with adsorption experimental data. Thermodynamics studies revealed that overall reaction was spontaneous and exothermic in nature.
Phosphate, Manganese oxide nanoparticles, Freundlich isotherm model, Pseudo-second order kinetic model, Thermodynamics study
- Barca, C., et al. 2012. Phosphate removal from synthetic and real wastewater using steel slags produced in Europe. Water Res., 46(7): 2376-2384.
- Fadiran, A.O., S.C. Dlamini and A. Mavuso. 2008. A comparative study of the phosphate levels in some surface and groundwater bodies of Swaziland. Bulletin Chem. Soc. Ethiopia. 22(2):197-206.
- Bennett, E.M., S.R. Carpenter and N.F. Caraco. 2001. Human impact on erodable phosphorus and eutrophication: A global perspective: Increasing accumulation of phosphorus in soil threatens rivers, lakes and coastal oceans with eutrophication. BioSci., 51(3): 227-234.
- Bouwman, A.F., A.H. Beusen and G. Billen. 2009. Human alteration of the global nitrogen and phosphorus soil balances for the period 1970-2050. Global Biogeochem. Cycles. 23(4).
- Sharpley, A. 2016. Managing agricultural phosphorus to minimize water quality impacts. Sci. Agric., 73(1): 1-8.
- Bekta, N., et al. 2004. Removal of phosphate from aqueous solutions by electro-coagulation. J. Hazard. Mater., 106(2-3): 101-105.
- Wang, X.X., et al. 2016. Simultaneous nitrogen, phosphorous and hardness removal from reverse osmosis concentrate by microalgae cultivation. Water Res., 94: 215-224.
- Xu, H., et al. 2016. Controlled synthesized natro-alunite microtubes applied for cadmium (II) and phosphate co-removal. J. Hazard. Mater., 314: 249 -259.
- Ooi, K., et al. 2017. Comparative study on phosphate adsorption by inorganic and organic adsor-bents from a diluted solution. J. Env. Chem. Eng., 5(4): 3181-3189.
- Kobya, M., et al. 2010. Treatment of rinse water from zinc phosphate coating by batch and continuous electrocoagulation processes. J. Hazard. Mater., 173(1-3): 326-334.
- Gautam, R.K., et al. 2014. Remediation technologies for phosphate removal from wastewater: An overview. Adv. Env. Res., 36: 1-23.
- Liu, T., K. Wu and L. Zeng. 2012. Removal of phosphorus by a composite metal oxide adsorbent derived from manganese ore tailings. J. Hazard. Mater., 217: 29-35.
- LÚ, J., et al. 2013. Adsorptive removal of phosphate by a nanostructured Fe-Al-Mn trimetal oxide adsorbent. Powder Tech., 233: 146-154.
- Lafferty, B.J., M.G. Vogel and D.L. Sparks. 2010. Arsenite oxidation by a poorly crystalline manganese-oxide 1. Stirred-flow experiments. Env. Sci. Tech., 44(22): 8460-8466.
- Lafferty, B.J., et al. 2010. Sparks, arsenite oxidation by a poorly crystalline manganese-oxide results from X-ray absorption spectroscopy and X-ray diffraction. Env. Sci. Tech., 44(22): 8467-8472.
- Zhu, M., M.G. Vogel and D.L. Sparks. 2010. Ni (II) sorption on biogenic Mn-oxides with varying Mn octahedral layer structure. Env. Sci. Tech., 44(12): 4472-4478.
- Phirange, A.S. and S.G. Sabharwal. 2019. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Fagopyrum esculentum starch: Antifungal, antibacterial activity and its cytotoxicity. Indian J. Biotech., 18(1): 52-63.
- Gheju, M., I. Balcu and G. Mosoarca. 2016. Removal of Cr (VI) from aqueous solutions by adsorption on MnO2. J. Hazard. Mater., 310: 270-277.
- Raj, B.G.S., et al. 2014. Sonochemically synthesized MnO2nanoparticles as electrode material for supercapacitors. Ultrasonics Sonochem., 21(6): 1933-1938.
- Murphy, J. and J.P. Riley. 1962. A modified single solution method for the determination of phosphate in natural waters. Anal. Chimica Acta. 27: 31-36.
- Wang, S.G., et al. 2007. Removal of lead (II) from aqueous solution by adsorption onto manganese oxide-coated carbon nanotubes. Separation Purification Tech., 58(1): 17-23.
- Aberuagba, F., et al. 2004. Preparation and characterization of molybdenum hydrotreating catalyst supported on MgO/Al2O3mixed oxide.
- Jain, M., V.K. Garg and K. Kadirvelu. 2009. Chromium (VI) removal from aqueous system using Helianthus annuus (sunflower) stem waste. J. Hazard. Mater., 162(1): 365-372.
- Bhattacharjee, S. 2016. DLS and zeta potential- What they are and what they are not? J. Controlled Release. 235: 337-351.
- Lai, L., et al. 2016. Adsorption of phosphate from water by easily separable Fe3O4@ SiO2core/shell magnetic nanoparticles functionalized with hydrous lanthanum oxide. J. Coll. Interf. Sci., 465: 76-82.
- Tanada, S., et al. 2003. Removal of phosphate by aluminum oxide hydroxide. J. Colloid Interface Sci., 257(1): 135-140.
- Hawke, D., P.D. Carpenter and K.A. Hunter. 1989. Competitive adsorption of phosphate on goethite in marine electrolytes. Env. Sci. Tech., 23(2): 187-191.
- Li, W., et al. 2010. Surface speciation of phosphate on boehmite (g-AlOOH) determined from NMR spectroscopy. Langmuir. 26(7): 4753-4761.
- Arai, Y. and D.L. Sparks. 2001. ATR-FTIR spectroscopic investigation on phosphate adsorption mechanisms at the ferrihydrite-water interface. J. Colloid Interface Sci., 241(2): 317-326.
- Nero, M.D., et al. 2010. Surface reactivity of a-Al2O3and mechanisms of phosphate sorption: In situ ATR-FTIR spectroscopy and æ potential studies. J. Colloid Interface Sci., 342(2): 437-444.
- Olgun, A., N. Atar and S. Wang. 2013. Batch and column studies of phosphate and nitrate adsorption on waste solids containing boron impurity. Chem. Eng. J., 222: 108-119.
- Liu, H., et al. 2008. Removal of phosphate by mesoporous ZrO2. J. Hazard. Mater., 151(2-3): 616-622.
- Sakkayawong, N., P. Thiravetyan and W. Nakbanpote. 2005. Adsorption mechanism of synthetic reactive dye wastewater by chitosan. J. Colloid Interface Sci., 286(1): 36-42.
- Gautam, R.K., A. Mudhoo and M.C. Chattopad-hyaya. 2013. Kinetic, equilibrium, thermodynamic studies and spectroscopic analysis of Alizarin Red S removal by mustard husk. J. Env. Chem. Eng., 1(4): 1283-1291.
- Azizian, S., S. Eris and L.D. Wilson. 2018. Re-evaluation of the century-old Langmuir isotherm for modeling adsorption phenomena in solution. Chem. Physics. 513: 99-104.
- Xu, J., L. Wang and Y. Zhu. 2012. Decontamination of bisphenol a from aqueous solution by graphene adsorption. Langmuir. 28(22): 8418-8425.
- Pandey, N., et al. 2016. Oil cakes: Non-conventional, effective and low-cost adsorbents for removal of acid dyes from aqueous solution. Asian J. Chem., 28(5): 1087-1096.
- Tan, I.A.W., A.L. Ahmad and B.H. Hameed. 2008. Adsorption of basic dye on high-surface-area activated carbon prepared from coconut husk: Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies. J. Hazard. Mater., 154(1-3): 337-346.
- Liu, Y. 2009. Is the free energy change of adsorption correctly calculated? J. Chem.Eng. Data. 54(7): 1981-1985.
- Liu, X. and L. Zhang. 2015. Removal of phosphate anions using the modified chitosan beads: Adsorption kinetic, isotherm and mechanism studies. Powder Tech., 277: 112-119.