IJEP 42(10): 1254-1262 : Vol. 42 Issue. 10 (October 2022)
1. J.N.V. University, M.B.M. Engineering College, Department of Civil Engineering, Jodhpur- 342 001, Rajasthan, India
2. Malaviya National Institute of Technology Jaipur, Department of Civil Engineering, Jaipur- 302 017, Rajasthan, India
The present study aims to assess groundwater quality in Jodhpur city by using geospatial and statistical analysis methods. Groundwater samples in the study area were collected and various groundwater quality parameters were determined. The geospatial analyst tool of ArcGIS software was employed to prepare the spatial distribution pattern of the groundwater quality parameters. The spatial distribution maps revealed that the groundwater in the area has fluoride and nitrate concentration lying beyond the permissible limits. Mostly the southeast part of the city has deteriorated groundwater quality. A weighted average statistic, WQI was estimated which considers the combined effect of the water quality parameters. The exercise yielded useful results. The results showed that 33% of the groundwater samples had good water quality and nearly 28% of the groundwater samples had very low groundwater quality which was unsuitable for drinking. WQI distribution map also revealed that the southeast part of the city has deteriorated groundwater quality. The deteriorated groundwater quality in this area could be attributed to the leaching of contaminants into the aquifer because of the improper disposal of industrial effluents.
Groundwater, Water quality parameters, Water quality index, GIS
- Kumar, M.D. and T. Shah. 2004. Groundwater pollution and contamination in India. Available at http: //www.iwmi.cgiar.org/iwmi-tata/files/pdf/ground-pollute4_FULL_.pdf.
- Chatterjee, R., G. Tarafder and S. Paul. 2010. Groundwater quality assessment of Dhanbad district, Jharkhand, India. Bull. Eng. Geol. Env., 69: 137-141.
- Latha, P.S. and K.N. Rao. 2012. An integrated approach to assess the quality of groundwater in a coastal aquifer of Andhra Pradesh, India. Env. Earth Sci., 66: 2143-2169.
- Singh, S.K., P.K. Srivastava and A.C. Pandey. 2013a. Fluoride contamination mapping of groundwater in northern India integrated with geochemical indicators and GIS. Water Sci. Tech., 8: 4687-4702.
- Dadhich, A.P., R. Goyal and P.N. Dadhich. 2017. Geospatial technique for drinking water quality analysis of Kota city. Int. J. Eng. Adv. Tech., 6: 94-98.
- Tiwari, A.K, A.K. Singh and M.K. Mahato. 2017. Assessment of groundwater quality of Pratapgarh district in India for suitability of drinking purpose using water quality index (WQI) and GIS technique. Sustain. Water Res. Manage., 4: 601-616.
- Verma, P., et al. 2020. Assessment of groundwater quality status by using water quality index (WQI) and geographic information system (GIS) approaches: A case study of the Bokaro district, India. Appl. Water Sci., 10: 27.
- Singh, S.K., et al. 2013b. Integrated assessment of groundwater influenced by a confluence river system: Concurrence with remote sensing and geochemical modelling. Water Res. Manage., 27: 4291-4313.
- Horton, R.K. 1965. An index number system for rating water quality. J. Water Poll. Control Federation. 37(3): 300-306.
- Brown, R.M., et al. 1970. A water quality index- Do we dare? Water Sewage Works. 117(10): 339-343.
- Gupta, S., et al. 2008. Geochemistry of groundwater, Burdwan district, West Bengal, India. Env. Geol., 53: 1271-1282.
- Ramakrishnaiah, C., C. Sadashivaiah and G. Ranganna. 2009. Assessment of water quality index for the groundwater in Tumkur taluk, Karnataka state, India. J. Chem., 6: 523-530.
- Yadav, A.K., P. Khan and S.K. Sharma. 2010. Water quality index assessment of groundwater in Todaraisingh tehsil of Rajasthan state, India- A greener approach. J. Chem., 7: 428-432.
- Aly, A.A., A.M. Al-Omran and M.M. Alherby. 2014. The water quality index and hydrochemical characterization of groundwater resources in Hafar Albatin, Saudi Arabia. Arabian J. Geosci., 8: 4177-4190.
- Thambavani, D.S. and T.S.R. Uma Mageswari. 2014. Water quality indices as indicators for potable water. Desalination Water Treatment. 52(25-27): 4772-4782.
- Saleem, M., A. Hussain and G. Mahmood. 2016. Analysis of groundwater quality using water quality index: A case study of Greater Noida (region), Uttar Pradesh (U.P), India. Cogent Eng., 3(1): 1237927.
- Akther, M.S.R. and G. Tharani. 2017. Assessment of water quality parameters and determination of water quality index of tube well water in Vengala-cheddikulam DS division, Vavuniya district, Sri Lanka. Int. J. Sci. Basic Appl. Res., 32(3): 317-328.
- Olasoji, S.O., et al. 2019. Water quality assessment of surface and groundwater sources using a water quality index method: A case study of a Peri-Urban town in southwest, Nigeria. Env., 6(2):23.
- CGWB. 2015. Rising water level problems in Jodhpur city area, Rajasthan. Central Ground Water Board, Govt. of India.
- Mathur, R., et al. 2010. Assessment of groundwater quality of Rajasthan with special reference to Jodhpur and Barmer region. Int. J. Chem., 8(3): 1992-1998.
- IS 10500. 2012. Drinking water specification (2nd rev). Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi.
- Batabyal, A.K. and S. Chakraborty. 2015. Hydro-geochemistry and water quality index in the assessment of groundwater quality for drinking uses. Water Env. Res., 87(7): 607-615.
- CGWB. 2013. Groundwater scenario, Jodhpur district, Rajasthan. Central Ground Water Board, Govt. of India.