IJEP 42(10): 1276-1280 : Vol. 42 Issue. 10 (October 2022)
Annamalai University, Department of Civil Engineering, FEAT, Annamalaia Nagar – 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
A suitable cropping pattern and irrigation strategy are essential for optimizing winter paddy yield and water use efficiency (WUE). The study aimed to evaluate the impact of cropping pattern and irrigation frequency on grain yield and WUE of winter paddy. During the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 winter paddy growing seasons in the Vellar river basin at Cuddalore, the effects of cropping patterns and irrigation frequencies were determined on tiller number, paddy grain yield and WUE. The two cropping patterns tested were wide-precision and conventional-cultivation. Each cropping pattern had three irrigation regimes: irrigation (120 mm) at the jointing stage; irrigation (60 mm) at both the jointing and heading stages and irrigation (40 mm) at the jointing, heading, and milking stages. In our study, tiller number was significantly higher in the wide-precision cropping pattern than in the conventional-cultivation cropping pattern.
Water use efficiency, Cropping pattern, Yield, Irrigation, Paddy, Cuddalore district, Water
- Shin, J.H., E.H. Noh and J.E. Son. 2012. Transpiration, growth and water use efficiency of paprika plants (Capsicum annuum L.) as affected by irrigation frequency. Hortic. Env. Biotech., 53(2):129-134.
- Garcia-Tejero, I., et al. 2011. Benefits of low-frequency irrigation in citrus orchards. Agron Sustain. Develop., 31(4):779-791.
- Li, Q.Q., et al. 2015. Winter paddy grain yield and water use efficiency in wide-precision pattern under deficit irrigation in North China plain. Agric. Water Manage., 153:71-76.
- Li, Q.Q., J.Y. Shen and D.D. Zhao. 2011. Effect of irrigation frequency to yield and leaf water use efficiency of winter paddy. Tran. CSAE. 27(3):33-36.
- Naresh, R.K., S.P. Singh and P. Chauhan. 2012. Influence of conservation agriculture, permanent raised bed planting and residue management on soil quality and productivity in maize-paddy system in western Uttar Pradesh. Int. J. Life Sci. Biotech., 1(4):27-34.
- Yactayo, W., et al. 2013. Effect of partial root-zone drying irrigation timing on potato tuber yield and water use efficiency. Agric. Water Manage., 123:65-70.
- Du, T.S., et al. 2013. Alternate furrow irrigation a practical way to improve grape quality and water use efficiency in arid northwest China. J. Integr. Agric., 12(3):509-519.
- Zhao, D. D., et al. 2013. Effects of irrigation and wide-precision planting on water use radiation interception and grain yield of winter paddy in the North China plain. Agric. Winter Manage., 118:87-92.
- Cai, T., et al. 2014. Exogenous hormonal application improves grain yield of paddy by optimizing tiller productivity. Field Crops Res., 155:172-183.
- Zhao, D.D., et al. 2012. Effect of wide-precision planting on dry matter accumulation and grain yield of winter paddy. J. Irrig. Drain., 31(5):140-142.
- Lang, K., et al. 2015. Effect of delayed irrigation at jointing stage on canopy temperature and leaf water use efficiency of winter paddy in wide precision planting pattern. Acta Ecol. Sin., 35(15):1-10.
- Chen, X. and M.D. Hao. 2015. Low contribution of photosynthesis and water use efficiency to improvement of grain yield in Chinese paddy. Photosynthetics. 53(4):519-526.