IJEP 42(12): 1464-1471 : Vol. 42 Issue. 12 (December 2022)
1. Kasdi Merbah University, VPRS Laboratory, Faculty of Mathematics and Material Science, Ouargla 3000, Algeria
2. Echahid Hamma Lakhdar University, Laboratory of Biodiversity and Biotechnology Applications in the
Agricultural Field, Faculty of Natural and Life Sciences, El-Oued 39000, Algeria
3. Kasdi Merbah University, Pollution and Waste Treatment Laboratory, Faculty of Mathematics and Mate rial Science, Ouargla 30000, Algeria
The environment is never spared from the pollution which threatens its elements, in particular the soil, especially if it is in an industrial activity zone. because of its direct impact on human health and other living organisms, its preservation and protection have, therefore, become everyone’s business. In order to confirm it, this study has come to assess the concentration of certain heavy elements, such as cobalt (Co), manganese (Mn) and lead (Pb) in the surface soil of the area of Touggourt industrial activity, using the latest indicators of environmental pollution. the highest contamination factor (CF) values for cobalt, manganese and lead were 0.277, 0.008 and 0.292, respectively. While the enrichment factor (EF) values were 41.79 for cobalt and 50.49 for lead. The maximum value of the pollutant load index (PLI) was recorded as 0.133. According to these pollution indices, the results of this study have indicated that human effects or industrial wastes and traffic in particular were the sources of heavy metal contamination in the studied region.
Pollution indicators, Environmental pollution, Heavy metals, Industrial activity, Touggourt city
- Kaiser, M.F., et al. 2006. Heavy metals contamination of a mediterranean coastal ecosystem, Eastern Nile delta, Egypt. In International perspectives on global environmental change. Ed Stephen Young. pp 297-310.
- Idowu, E., et al. 2014. Heavy metal bioaccu-mulation and biomarkers of oxidative stress in the wild African tiger frog, Hoplobatrachus occipitalis. African J. Env. Sci. Tech., 8(1):6-15.
- Jaishankar, M., et al. 2014. Toxicity, mechanism and health effects of some heavy metals. Interdiscip. Toxicol., 7(2):60-72.
- Likuku, S., K. Mmolawa and G. Gaboutloeloe. Assessment of heavy metal enrichment and degree of contamination around the copper-nickel mine in the Selebi Phikwe region, eastern Botswana. Env. Ecol. Res., 1(2):32-40.
- Mmolawa, K., S. Likuku and G. Gaboutloeloe. 2010. Assessment of heavy metal pollution in soils along major roadside areas in Botswana. African J. Env. Sci. Tech., 5(3):186-196.
- Jaramillo-Nieves, L.G. and R.B. Finkelman. 2011. Preface. Env. geochem. health. 34(2):153.
- Luo, X.S., S. Yu and K.D. Li. 2011. Distribution, availability and sources of trace metals in different particle size fractions of urban soils in Hong Kong: Implications for assessing the risk to human health. Env. Poll., 159(5):1317-1326.
- Victoria, A., et al. 2008. Heavy metals concentration in road dust in the Bolgatanga municipality, Ghana. Int. J. Env. Res. Public Health. 9.
- Gong, Q., et al. 2008. Calculating pollution indices by heavy metals in ecological geochemistry assessment and a case study in parks of Beijing. J. China Univ. Geosci., 19:230-241.
- Ozkan, E., et al. 2012. A new assessment of heavy metal contaminations in an eutrophicated bay (Inner Izmir Bay, Turkey). Turkey J. Fish Aquat. Sci., 12:135-147.
- Abdelgawad, M.T. 1998. Touggourt, the capital of Oued Righ, the third historical forum, the role of Bani Jalab in the Oued righ region. Publications of Elelwaffa llshahid organization, Touggourt, Ouragla.
- Slami, S. 1998. Touggourt (historical view). Modern Inki, Algeria. 13.
- Khalifa, A. 2011. Transformations of social structures and their relationship with the urban area in the cities of the Algerian desert; socio-anthropological study of Touggourt (Oued Righ).
- Daniel, P. 1978-1979. Systems of nomadic relations; Touggourt region, Algeria. Post doctoral Study. high school of social Sciences, France.
- Abdelhamid, I.Q. 1999. Definition of Oued Righ. publication of elwaffa llshahid organization, Touugourt. Elamal for printing, Oued Souf.
- Chandrasekaran, A., et al. 2015. Multivariate statistical analysis of heavy metal concentration in soils of Yelagiri Hills, Tamil nadu, India – Spectroscopical approach. Spectrochim Acta A. 137:589-600.
- Liu, W.h., et al. 2005. Impacts of sewage irrigation on heavy metal distribution and contamination in Beijing, China. Env. Int., 31(6):805-812.
- Galuszka, A. and Z. Migaszewski. 2011. Geo-chemical background – an environmental perspective. Mineralogia. 42:7-17.
- Zakir, H., S. Naotatsu and O. Kazuo. 2008. Geochemical distribution of trace metals and assessment of anthropogenic pollution in sediments of old Nakagawa river, Tokyo, Japan. American J. Env. Sci., 4(6) : 654-655.
- Sutherland, R.A., et al. 2000. Characterization of selected element concentrations and enrichment ratios in background and anthropogenically impacted roadside areas. Arch. Env. Contam. Toxicol., 38(4):428-438.
- Usero, U., A. Garcia and J. Fraidias. 2000. Water and sediment quality of the Andalusian coast. Junta de Andalicia, Ministry of the Environment, Seville.
- Angulo, M. 1996. The tomllinson pollution load index applied to heavy metals ‘Mussel-Watch’ data: A useful index to assess coastal pollution. Sci. Total Env., 187:19-56.
- Abrahim, G. and R. Parker. 2008. Assessment of heavy metal enrichment factors and the degree of contamination in marine sediments from Tamaki estuary, Auckland, New Zealand. Env. Monit. Assess., 136:227-238.
- NOMA. 2019. Meteorological data. Regional department of Touggourt, National Office of Meteorology, Algeria.
- Kabata-Pendias, A. and A.B. Mukherjee. 2007. Trace elements from soil to human. Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Gazette of Democratic Republic of Algeria. 2006.
- Adamu, S., et al. 2014. Assessment of potentially toxic metals in soil and sediments of the Keana Brinefield in the Middle Benue Trough, north-central Nigeria. American J. Env. Prot., 3:6-2.
- Szefer, P., et al. 2008. Heavy-metal pollution in surficial sediments from the Southern Baltic sea off Poland. J. Env. Sci. Health A. 31:2723-2754.
- Hakanson, L. 1980. An ecological risk index for aquatic pollution control : a sedimentological approach. Water Res., 14(8):975-1001.
- Muller, G. 1969. Index of geoaccumulation in sediments of the Rhine river. Geol. J., 2:109-118.
- Akoto, O., T. Bruce and G. Darko. 2008. Heavy metals pollution profiles in streams serving the Owabi reservoir. African J. Env. Sci. Tech., 2:354-359.