IJEP 42(12): 1501-1508 : Vol. 42 Issue. 12 (December 2022)
1. Adi Shankara Institute of Engineering and Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, Kalady, Kerela – 683 574, India
2. Gudlavalleru Engineering College, Department of Civil Engineering, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh – 521 356, India
3. Gokaraju Rangaraju Institute of Engineering and Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, Hyderabad, Telangana – 500 090, India
The pavement structure retort depends on the sub-grade characteristics, which provide the support base. Problems allied with the construction of pavement become far more critical, particularly in regions where the sub-grade consists of expansive soils. For the design of pavements, the California bearing ratio (CBR) value is a required parameter that decides the strength of the sub-grade soil. An attempt has been made in the present study to estimate the soaked CBR of highly compressible clayey (CH) soil stabilized with bagasse ash and reinforced with geotextiles. The soil is treated with sugarcane bagasse ash (BA) in varying percentages and geotextile reinforcement in varying layers. The CBR test on the stabilized and reinforced soil specimen is conducted to assess the strength of the soil specimen. The impartial of this paper is to predict the CBR value by correlating the optimum moisture content, maximum dry density, plasticity index, percentage of BA and the number of geotextile layers. The linear relationships between the above-mentioned properties and CBR value using multiple linear regression analysis resulted in a strong correlation between the parameters.
Expansive soil, Bagasse ash, Geotextile, California bearing ratio, Multiple linear regression analysis, Artificial neural network
- IRC 37. 2001. Guideline for design of flexible pavement (2rd revision). Indian Roads Congress, New Delhi.
- IRC 37. 2012. Guideline for design of flexible pavement (3rd revision). Indian Roads Congress, New Delhi.
- Yadav, A.K., et al. 2017. Stabilization of alluvial soil for sub-grade using husk ash, sugarcane bagasse ash and cow dung ash for rural roads. Int. J. Pavement Res. Tech., 10:254-261.
- Hasan, H., et al. 2016. Remediation of expansive soils using agricultural waste bagasse ash. Procedia Eng. Adv. Transportation Geotechnics. 143:1368-1375.
- Grau, F., et al. 2015. Engineering behaviour and characteristics of wood ash and sugarcane bagasse ash. Mater., 8:6962-6977. DOI: 10.3390/ma81 05353.
- Jamsawang, P., et al. 2017. Improvement of soft clay with cement and bagasse ash waste. Construction Building Mater., 154:61-71. DOI: 10.101 6/j. conbuildmat. 2017.07.188.
- Pallavi, P., B. Gowtham and R.G. Kiran. 2016. Study of bagasse ash and cement stabilised marshy soil. Int. J. Innov. Res. Sci. Eng. Tech., 5(1):651-659.
- Vaddi, P.K., Ch. Manjula and P. Poornim. 2015. Artificial neural networks (ANNS) for prediction of California bearing ratio of soils. Int. J. Modern Eng. Res., 5:15-21.
- Dhawan, S., N.s. parihar and R.P. Shukla. 2015. Performance of geotextile reinforced soil. Discovery. 40(184):279-285.
- Kumar, A., et al. 2015. Stabilization of local soil with bagasse ash. SSRG Int. J. Civil Eng., 37-39.
- Chhachhia, A. and A. mittal. 2015. Improvement of clayey soil stabilized with bagasse ash. Int. J. Res. Review Eng. Sci. Tech., 4(1):176-179.
- Shirur, N.B. and S.G. Hiremath. 2014. Establishing relationship between CBR value and physical properties of soil. IOSR J. Mech. Civil Eng., 11(5):26-30.
- Choudhary, D.K. and Y.P. Joshi. 2014. A detailed study of CBR method for flexible pavement design. 4(6):239-253.
- Prasad, S.S.G., S. Kumar and R. Surisetty. 2014. Stabilization of pavement sub-grade by using flyash reinforced with geotextile. Int. J. Res. Eng. Tech., 3(8):255-259.
- Bhatt, S. and P.K. Jain. 2014. Prediction of California bearing ratio of soils using artificial neural network. American Int. J. Res. Sci. Tech. Eng. Mathematics. 14(774):156-161.
- Kharade, A.S., et al. 2014. Waste product bagasse ash from sugar industry can be used as stabilizing material for expansive soils. Int. J. Res. Eng. Tech., 3(3):506-512.
- Sabat, A.K. 2013. Prediction of California bearing ratio of a soil stabilized with lime and quarry dust using artificial neural network. E. J. Geotech. Eng., 18:3261-3272.
- Kiran, R.G. and L. Kiran. 2013. Analysis of strength characteristics of black cotton using bagasse ash and additive as stabilizer. Int. J. Eng. Res. Tech., (7).
- Djellali, A., A.H. Ouriis and B. Saghafi. 2012. Behaviour of flexable pavements on expansive soils. Int. J. Transportation Eng., 1(1):1-16.
- Gandhi, K.S. 2012. Expansive soil stabilization using bagasse ash. Int. J. Eng. Tech., 1(5):1-3.
- Choudhary, A.K., K.S. Gill and J.N. Jha. 2011. Improvement in CBR values of expansive soil sub-grades using geo-synthetics. Indian Geotechnical Congress. Proceedings, pp 569-572.
- Venkatasubramanian, C. and G. Dhinakaran. 2011. ANN model for predicting CBR from index properties of soils. Int. J. Civil Structural Eng., 2:605-611.
- Saltan, M., Y. Kavlak and F. S. Ertem. 2011. Utilization of pumice waste for clayey sub-grade of pavements. American Soc. Civil Eng., 23:1616-1623.
- Gobinath, R., K. Rajeshkumar and N. Mahendran. 2010. Lab-scale studies on pore clogging nature of flyash mixed soil with various geotextiles- A study on soils from Dindigul district. Int. J. Civil Structural Eng., 1:50-63.
- Lawson, C.R. 1995. Sub-grade stabilization with geotextile. Geosynthetics Int., 2(4):741-763.
- IS 2720 Part (II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, X, XII, XVI, XL). Codes of practice. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Scott, F.C. and H.W. Kenneth. 1991. California bearing ration improvement of remoulded soils by the addition of polypropylene fibre reinforcement. Transportation Res. Record. 1295:80-86.
- Aigbodion, V.S., et al. 2010. Potential utilization of solid waste (bagasse ash). J. Minerals Mater. Characterization Eng., 9(1):67-77.
- Rajakumar, C., T. Meenambal and P.D. Arumairaj. 2014. California bearing ratio of expansive sub-grade stabilized with waste materials. Int. J. Adv. Structures Geotech. Eng., 3(1).
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2015. Study on the performance of geosynthetics in flexible pavement system. Int. J. Appl. Eng. Res., 10(19): 13791 -13795.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2015. Chemical analysis of expansive soil under the influence of bagasse ash. Int. J. Appl. Eng. Res., 10(19):13796-13800.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2015. Characterization and effective utilization of flyash in road application. Indian J. Env. Prot., 35(5):367-374.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2015. Effect of coal ash in the stabilization of expansive soil for the pavement. Int. J. ChemTech. Res., 8(1):170-177.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2005. Experimental study on utilization of bottom ash to stabilize expansive soil sub-grades. Int. J. ChemTech., Res., 8(1):170-177.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2015. Effect of industrial and agricultural wastes in the stabilization of expansive soil for the pavement sub-grades. Indian J. Env. Prot., 35(9):715-723.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2015. CBR and UCC strength characteristics of expansive soil sub-grade stabilized with industrial and agricultural wastes. Int. J. ChemTech. Res., 8(7):1-17.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2015. Experimental study of bagasse ash utilization for road application on expansive soil. Nature Env. Poll. Tech., 14(4):903-908.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2016. Experimental study on the utilization of industrial and agricultural wastes to stabilize the expansive soil sub-grades. Nature Env. Poll. Tech., 15(1):67-72.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2016. Artificial neural network modelling of sub-grade soil stabilized with bagasse ash and geogrid. Int. J. Innov. Sci. Res., 25(1):87-100.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2017. Artificial neural network modelling and economic analysis of soil sub-grade stabilized wit flyash and geotex-tile. Indian J. GeoMarine Sci., 46(7):1454-1461.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2017. Chemical and geotechnical properties of expansive soil stabilized with flyash geotextiles. Int. J. ChemTech. Res., 10(10):10-26.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2018. Stabilization of expansive sub-grade soil with bagasse ash and geosynthetic reinforcement. Indian J. Env. Prot., 38(1):29-35.
- Rajakumar, C. and T. Meenambal. 2018. Characterization and effective utilization of coal ash with geosynthetics in pavement sub-grade. Indian J. Env. Prot., 38(3):234-238.