IJEP 42(2): 186-193 : Vol. 42 Issue. 2 (February 2022)
Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies (VISTAS), Chennai – 600 117, Tamil Nadu,
Metal finishing effluents, Cr(VI) ions, Ion exchange, electrochemical ion exchange, ion-permeable membranes
- WHO. 1993. Guidelines for drinking water quality. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Ahmed, M.I., et al. 2002. Electrochemical chemical acid regeneration process : Fitting of membrane transport properties. J. Membrane Sci., 197:63-74.
- Muthukumaran, K., N. Balasubramanian and T.V. Ramakrishna. 1995. Removal and recovery of chromium from plating waste using chemically activated carbon. Metal Finishing. 46-49.
- Park, D., et al. 2005. Mechanism of hexa-valent chromium removal by dead fungal biomass of Aspergillus niger. Water Res., 39:533-540.
- Sarin, Vikrant and K.K. Pant. 2006. Removal of chromium from industrial waste by using eucalyptus bark. Bioresour. Tech., 97(1):15-20.
- Liu, W., et al. 2018. Efficient removal of hexavalent chromium from water by an adsorption-reduction mechanism with sandwiched nanocom-posites. Royal Soc. Chem., 8:15087-15093.
- Marshal, S. 1979. Hazardous and toxic effects of industrial chemicals. NDC Publication, U.S.A.
- Khan, K., et al. 2018. Recovery and reuse of chromium from spent chrome tanning liquour by precipitation process. American J. Eng. Res., 7(1):346-352.
- Bharti, A., R.P. Saxena and G.N. Pandey. 1979. Physiological imbalances due to hexavalent chromium in freshwater algae. Indian J. Env. Health. 21:234-243.
- Knocke, W.R. and R.T. Kelley. 1987. J. Water Poll. Cont. Fed., 59:86.
- Park, S.J. and W.Y. Jung. 2001. Removal of chromium by activated carbon fibres : Plated with copper metal. Carbon Sci., 2:15-21.
- Daneshwar, N., D. Salari and S. Aber. 2002. Chromium adsorption and Cr(VI) reduction to trivalent chromium in aqueous solutions by soya cake. J. Hazard. Mater., 94:49-61.
- Acar, F.N. and E. Malkoc. 2004. The removal of chromium (VI) from aqueous solutions by Fagus orientalis L. Bioresour. Tech., 94:13-15.
- Untea, I., E. Tudorache and V. Neagu. 2002. Cr (VI) containing wastewater treatment by means of ion exchange on weak and strong base anion exchanges. J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 86:2093-2098.
- Kurama, H. and T. Çatalsarik. 2000. Removal of zinc cyanide from a leach solution by an anionic ion-exchange resin. Desalination. 129:1-6.
- Alonso, E.M., et al. 1999. Speciation and precon-centration of Cr(III) and Cr(VI) in waters by retention on ion exchange media and determination by EDXRF. J. Anal. Atomic Spectrom. 14:187-192.
- Mustafa, S., et al. 1997. Selectivity reversal and dimerization of chromate in the exchanger Amberlite IRA-400. React. Funct. Polym., 34:135-144.
- Ball, J.W. and R.B. McCleskey. 2003. A new cation-exchange method for accurate field speciation of hexavalent chromium. Talanta. 61:305-313.
- Rengaraj, S., et al. 2003. Kinetics of removal of chromium from water and electronic process wastewater by ion-exchange resins: 1200H, 1500H and IRN97H. J. Hazard. Mater., 102(1-2): 257-275.
- Korngold, E., N. Belayev and L. Aronov. 2003. Removal of chromates from drinking water by anion exchangers. Sep. Purif. Tech., 33(2):179-187.
- Gupta, V.K., A.K. Shrivastava and N. Jain. 2001. Biosorption of chromium(VI) from aqueous solutions by green algae Spirogyra species. Water Res., 35(17):4079-4085.
- Gode, F. and E. Pehlivan. 2003. A comparative study of two chelating ion-exchange resins for the removal of chromium(III) from aqueous solution. J. Hazard. Mater., 100:231-243.
- Neville, M.D., C.P. Jones and A.D. Turner. 1998. The EIX process for radioactive waste treatment. Progress Nuclear Energy. 32(3-4):397-401.
- Grebenyuk, V.D., et al. 1998. Electromembrane extraction of Zn from Na containing solutions using hybrid electrodialysis ion exchange method. Desalination. 115:255-263.
- Roquebert, V., et al. 2000. Electrodialysis reversal (EDR) and ion exchange as polishing treatment for perchlorate treatment. Desalination. 131:285-291.
- Wang, J., S. Wang and M. Jin. 2000. A study of the electrodeionization process high-purity water production with a RO/EDI system. Desalination. 132:349-352.
- Spoor, P.B., et al. 2002. Continuous deionization of a dilute nickel solution. Chem. Eng. J., 85:127-135.
- Greiter, M., et al. 2002. Desalination of water by electrodialysis and ion exchange resins : Analysis of both processes with regard to sustainability by calculating their cumulative energy demand. J. Membr. Sci., 2010:91-102.
- Mahmoud, A., et al. 2003. Investigation of transport phenomena in a hybrid ion exchange electrodialysis system for the removal of copper ions. J. Appl. Electrochem., 33:875-884.
- Souilah, O., D.E. Akretche and M. Amara. 2004. Water reuse of an industrial effluent by means of electrodeionisation. Desalination. 167:49-54.
- Meyer, N., et al. 2005. Development of electro-deionization process for removal of nitrate from drinking water. Part 1: Single species testing. Desalination. 175:153-165.
- Smara, A., et al. 2005. Electroextraction of heavy metals from diluted solutions by a process combining ion exchange resins and membranes. Sep. Purif. Tech., 44:271-277.
- Yeon, K.H., J.H. Song and S.H. Moon. 2004. A study on stack configuration of continuous electro- deionization for removal of heavy metal ions from the primary coolant of a nuclear power plant. Water Res., 38:1911-1921.
- Murugesan, S., et al. 2003. Recycling of chromium (VI) from metal finishing wastewaters using electrochemical ion exchange method. Indian J. Env. Prot., 23:403.
- Monzie, I., et al. 2005. Mass transfer investigations in electrodeionization process using the microcolumn technique. Chem. Eng. Sci., 60:1389-1399.
- Gangqin, M.J.M., C. Blute and L. Frong. 2005. Hexavalent chromium removal by reduction with ferrous sulphate, coagulation and filtration : A pilot scale study. Env. Sci. Tech., 39:6321-6327.