IJEP 42(2): 243-248 : Vol. 42 Issue. 2 (February 2022)
Preethi G. and N. Muthulakshmi Andal*
PSGR Krishnammal College for Women, Department of Chemistry, Coimbatore – 641 004, Tamil Nadu, India
Extensive loads of pesticides are utilized to increase the crop productivity in modern agricultural practices. Slow degradation of pesticides into the environment and extensive or inappropriate use by farmers can lead to contamination of water, soil, air, several types of crops and in turn human beings. Malathion pesticide has been widely used as fumigant, in agriculture and in residential landscapes to replace more toxic organochlorine pesticides, even otherwise result in a serious setback to human health causing skin and nervous defects. Adsorption technique is one of the most intensively availed and reliable method adopted due to its ease of operation, non-energy intensive and high removal competence of organic pollutants, like pesticides. Delonix regia pod shells (DRPS), an eco-based material is employed to chelate malathion from aqueous media through batch mode under varying operational factors, namely, pH (3-11), initial malathion concentration (50-300 mg/L), DRPS dosage (50-250 mg), contact time (10-60 min) and temperature (293-333 K). Optical microscope, FTIR, SEM are utilized to characterize the selected sorbent’s nature. Isothermal data fitted well with the Langmuir plot in preference to Freundlich plot. From the observations made, DRPS is found to be a promising ecofriendly, economically viable material for the sequestration of malathion.
Pesticides, Adsorption, Malathion, Isotherms
- Senthilkumar, S., et al. 2010. Kinetic approach for the adsorption of organophosphorous pesticides from aqueous solutions using waste jute fiber carbon. Electrical J. Chem., 7(S1):S511-S519.
- Chatterjee, S., et al. 2010. Interaction of mala-thion, an organophosphorous pesticide with Rhizopus oryzae biomass. J. Hazard. Mater., 174:47-53.
- Aggary, S.E., et al. 2015. Bioadsorption of 2, 6 dichlorophenol from aqueous solution onto plantain pineapple peels mixture used as adsorbent : Optimization studies based on Taguchi method, batch equilibrium and kinetic modelling. Chem. Mater. Res., 7(3):1-14.
- Ahmad, J., et al. 2014. Removal of pesticide in agricultural runoff using granular-activated carbon : A stimulation study using a fixed bed column approach. Desalination Water Treatment. S2:861-866.
- Singh, V.K., et al. 2010. Removal of malathion from aqueous solutions and wastewater using flyash. J. Water Resour. Prot., 2:322-330.
- Gangadhar, B., et al. 2016. Tea (Camellia sinensis) waste for the reduction of malathion and phorate in aqueous solutions. Int. J. Env. Agric. Res., 2(6):38-44.
- Yadamari, T., et al. 2011. Bioadsorption of mala-thion from aqueous solutions using herbal leaves powder. American J. Anal. Chem.,2:37-45.
- Memon, G.Z., et al. 2008. Adsorption of methyl parathion pesticide from water using watermelon peels as a low-cost adsorbent. Chem. Eng. J., 138:616-621.
- Shankar, A., et al. 2020. Removal of pentachlorophenol pesticide from aqueous solutions using modified chitosan. Arabian J. Chem., 13(1):1821-1830.
- Abdeen, Z., et al. 2014. Study of the adsorptive efficiency of an eco-friendly carbohydrate polymer for contaminated aqueous solution by organophosphorus pesticide. Open J. Organic Polymer Mater., 4:16-28.