IJEP 42(4): 464-469 : Vol. 42 Issue. 4 (April 2022)
1. Hawassa University, Institute of Technology, Department of Water Resources and Irrigation Engineering, Hawassa, Sidama Regional State, Ethiopia
2. Hawassa University, Institute of Technology, Faculty of Biosystem and Water Resources Engineering, Hawassa, Sidama Regional State, Ethiopia
This study is based on the quality of wastewater from Hawassa University surroundings, which was assessed to determine its suitability for irrigation purposes. Grab samples of influent and the treated water was taken for assessing quality parameters. The study revealed that the treated water could be used for irrigation purposes with some moderate restrictions. Even though EC and TDS permit to irrigate fruit trees and fodder crops, there is a risk of soil degradation due to the high value of SAR. Results also indicated that carbonate, potassium and phosphate exceeded the specified limits for wastewater reuse in agriculture. Despite increased nutritive elements, continuous use of treated sewage water for irrigation will make the soil acidic. Analysis of soil parameters indicated that there is an increase in nitrogen, phosphate and potassium nutrient levels considerably to benefit crop production but an increase in soil EC is a serious concern.
Crop water, Irrigation demand, Pollutants, Sewage water, Water treatment
- Shamsad, S.Z.K.M. and M.S. Islam. 2005. Hydro-chemical behaviour of the water resource of Sathkhira Sadar of Southwestern Bangladesh and its impact on environment. Bangladesh J. Water Resour. Res., 20: 43-52.
- Islam, M.S. and S.Z.K.M. Shamsad. 2010. Assessment of irrigation water quality of Bogra district in Bangladesh. J. Agric. Res., 34(4): 597-608.
- Cuena, R.H. 1989. Irrigation system design. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA.
- Famiglietti, J.S. 2011. Satellites measure recent rates of groundwater depletion in California’s Central Valley. Geophysical Res. Letters. 38(2): 112125. DOI: 10.1029/2010GL046442.
- Ayers, S. and D.W. Westcot. 1985. Water quality for agriculture (FAO irrigation and drainage paper no. 29 rev.1). Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy.
- Scott, C., N.I. Faruqui and L. Raschid. 2004. Wastewater use in irrigated agriculture: Confronting the livelihood and environmental realities. CABI Publishing. Wallingford, UK.
- Hamilton, A.J., et al. 2007. Wastewater irrigation: The state of play. Vadose Zone J., 6: 823-840.
- Martijn, E.J. and M. Redwood. 2005. Wastewater irrigation in developing countries-limitation for farmers to adopt appropriate practices. Irrigation Drainage. 54(1): 63-70. DOI: 10.1002/ird.186.
- McCartney, M. and V. Smakhtin. 2010. Water storage in an era of climate change: Addressing the challenge of increasing rainfall variability. International Water Management Institue, Colombo, Sri Lanka. pp 1-14.
- APHA. 2005. Standard methods for examination of water and wastewater (21st edn). American Public Health Association, Washington DC, USA.
- Adepetu, J.A., H. Nabhan and A. Osinubu. 2000. Simple soil, water and plant testing techniques for soil resources management. Training course, Ibadan, Nigeria. Proceedings, pp 168.
- Pescod, M.B. 1985. Wastewater treatment and use in agriculture. FAO irrigation and drainage paper no. 47. Food and Agricultural Organization, Rome, Italy. pp 75-97.
- WHO. 2005. A regional overview of wastewater management and reuse in the eastern mediterran-ean region. Environmental Health Association, World Health Organization, Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean Regional, California.
- Tatawat, R.K. and C.P. Singh. 2008. A hydroche-mical profile for assessing the groundwater quality of Jaipur city. Env. Monit. Assess., 143(1-3): 337-343. DOI: 10.1007/s10661-007-9936-3.
- Affullo, A.O. 2009. Irrigation suitability assessment of effluents from West Kano rice irrigation scheme, Kisumu, Kenya. Ethiopian J. Env. Stud. Manage., 2(2): 11. DOI: 10.4314/ejesm.v2i2.45910.
- Pescod, B. 1992. Wastewater treatment and use in agriculture. FAO irrigation and drainage paper no. 47. Food and Agricultural Organization, Rome, Italy.
- FAO. 1985. Water quality for agriculture. Food and Agricultural Organization, Rome, Italy.
- Christensen, D.A., G. Steacy and W.L. Crowle. 1977. Nutritive value of whole crop cereal silages. Canadian. J. Anim. Sci., 57(4): 803-805. DOI: 10.4141/cjas77-103.
- Bauder, A., M. Funk and M. Huss. 2007. Ice-volume changes of selected glaciers in the Swiss Alps since the end of the 19th century. Ann. Glaciol., 46(1): 145-149. DOI: 10.3189/1727564077828-71701.
- FAO. 1989. Water quality for agriculture. Food and Agricultural Organization, Rome, Italy.
- Mass, E.V. 1990. Crop salt tolerance. In Agricultural salinity assessment and management. Ed K.K. Tanji. American Society of Civil Engineers, New York. pp 263-304.