IJEP 42(4): 506-512 : Vol. 42 Issue. 4 (April 2022)
1. YMCA University, Faridabad – 121 006, Haryana, India
2. University of Delhi, Ramjas College, Medicinal Plant Research Laboratory, Department of Botany, Delhi- 110 007, India
In current years, water quality of river Yamuna has degraded drastically due to rapid socio-economic development and various anthropogenic activities. As per Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) the water quality of river Yamuna is of category E which makes it fit only for irrigation, industrial cooling and controlled waste disposal. Current study revealed the effect of Yamuna water on cultivars of two economically important crop legumes, that is Vigna radiata (PUSA1431 and PUSA9531) and Vigna mungo (KU6 and MASH114) collected from PUSA (Pulse laboratory). Water samples were collected from two locations one is entry point of Yamuna in Delhi, that is stretch of Wazirabad and one is exit point from Delhi, that is Okhla route. Different water quality parameters, such as pH, colour and odour have been recorded while collection, total dissolved solids (TDS), total suspended solids (TSS) and heavy metals have also, been determined. Dissolved oxygen (DO) and biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) of water samples have been determined by Winkler’s method and dilution method, respectively. Effect of different water samples on cultivars of Vigna radiata and Vigna mungo were determined by observing different growth parameters including percentage germination, length of roots and shoots, weight of fresh and dried seedlings at different time intervals.
River Yamuna, Dissolved oxygen, Biochemical oxygen demand, Heavy metals, Vigna radiata, Vigna mungo, Growth parameters
- Singh, S.K. and S. Kaushik. 2018. Qualitative study of Yamuna water across the Delhi stretch. Int. J. Adv. Res., 6(5): 1127-1138.
- Zayed, M. and I. Zeid. 1997. Effect of water and salt stresses on growth, chlorophyll, mineral ions and organic solutes contents and enzymes activity in mung bean seedlings. Biologia Plantarum. 40: 351-356.
- Dhole, V.J. and K.S. Reddy. 2010. Gamma rays induced moisture stress tolerant long root mutant inmung bean (Vigna radiata L Wilczek). Electronic J. Plant Breeding. 1(5): 1299-1305.
- Sadeghipour, O. 2009 The influence of water stress on biomass and harvest index in three mung bean cultivars. Asian J. Plant Sci., 8(3): 245-249.
- Anwar, F., et al. 2007. Chemical composition and antioxidant activity of seeds of different cultivars of mung bean. J. Food Sci., 72: 1750-3841.
- Ranawake, A.L., et al. 2011. Effect of water stress on growth and yield of mung bean (Vigna radiata L). Tropical Agric. Res. Ext., 14(4): 1-4.
- Sethy, S.K. and S. Ghosh. 2013. Effect of heavy metals on germination of seeds. J. Nat. Sci. Bio. Med., 4(2): 272-275.
- Vicare. Water quality characteristics (Module 2 – Chapter 2). Available at: http://echo2.epfl.ch/VICAIRE /mod_2/chapt_2/main.htm.
- Kumar, A., et al. 2010. Physical, chemical and bacteriological study of water from rivers of Uttrakhand. J. Human Ecol., 32(3): 169-173.
- Lenove, S.C., et al. 1990. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. American Public Health Association, Washington DC.
- Khan, S. and S.K. Singh. 2013. DO-BOD modeling of river Yamuna for Delhi segment comparing the actual case of low water discharge with that of the flow required to be maintained to meet out environmental flow concern of various stretches. Int. J. Innovative Res. Sci. Eng. Tech., 2(5): 1552-1559.
- Kaur, H., et al. 1998. Pollution of river Satluj by Budha Nalla. 23rdannual convention of ISTE and seminar on Environment and Development, Ludhiana.
- APHA. 2005. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (21th edn). APHA, AWWA, WPCF, Washington DC.
- Kumar, G., G.S. Banu and G.K. Kumar. 2006. Effect of textile mill effluent on seed germination, seedling growth and pigment content on Arachis hypogea. J. Ecobiol., 19: 19-22.
- Saini, N. and S. Gupta. 2018. Assessment of biochemical parameters in heavy metal-stressed crop of mung bean (Vigna radiata (L) R. Wilczek). American J. Biochem. Molecular Biol., 8(1): 1-9.
- Kumar, R.S., R.N. Swamy and K. Ramakrishnan. 2001. Pollution studies on sugar mill effluent, physico-chemical characteristics and toxic metals. Poll. Res., 20(1): 93-97.
- Li, W., et al. 2005. Effects of heavy metals on seed germination and early seedling growth of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Growth Regulation. 46: 45-50.
- Muhammad, P., et al. 2017. In-situ immobilization of Cd by organic amendments and their effect on antioxidant enzyme defense mechanism in mung bean (Vigna radiata L.) seedlings. Plant Physiol. Biochem., 118: 561-570.
- Nahar, K., et al. 2016. Physiological and biochemical mechanisms of spermine induced cadmium stress tolerance in mung bean (Vigna radiata L.) seedlings. Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 23: 21206-21218.