IJEP 42(7): 813-822 : Vol. 42 Issue. 7 (July 2022)
1. GITAM (Deemed to be University), Department of Chemistry, Institute of Science, Visakhapatnam – 530 045, Andhra Pradesh, India
2. GITAM (Deemed to be University), Department of Civil Engineering, Institute of Technology, Visakhapatnam – 530 045, Andhra Pradesh, India
Groundwater quality, Hydrochemical facies, Chloro-alkali indices
- Ramkumar, T., et al. 2013. Evaluation of hydrogeo-chemical parameters and quality assessment of the groundwater in Kottur blocks, Tiruvarur district, Tamil Nadu, India. Arabian J. Geosci., 6(1):101-108.
- Subramani, T., et al. 2005. Groundwater quality and its suitability for drinking and agricultural use in Chithar river basin, Tamil Nadu, India. Env. Geol., 47(8):1099-1110.
- Ali, S.A. and U. Ali. 2018. Hydrochemical characteristics and spatial analysis of groundwater quality in parts of Bundelkhand Massif, India. Appl. Water Sci., 8(1):1-15.
- Venugopal, T., et al. 2009. A comprehensive geochemical evaluation of the water quality of river Adyar, India. Bulletin Env. Contam. Toxicol., 82(2):211-217.
- Arunprakash, M., et al. 2014. Impact of urbanization in groundwater of South Chennai city, Tamil Nadu, India. Env. Earth Sci., 71(2):947-957.
- Kao, D.M., et al. 2018. The effect of groundwater due to salt water intrusion in coastal tract of Visakhapatnam city, Andhra Pradesh, India. Int. J. Res. Appl. Sci. Eng. Tech., 6(4):591-600.
- Mondal, N.C., et al. 2011. Assessment of seawater impact using major hydrochemical ions : A case study from Sadras, Tamil Nadu, India. Env. Monit. Assess., 177(1):315-335.
- Satheeskumar, V., et al. 2020. Groundwater chemistry and demarcation of seawater intrusion zones in the Thamirabarani delta of South India based on geochemical signatures. Env. Geochem. Health. 42(1-2): 1-14.
- El-Moujabber, M., et al. 2006. Comparison of different indicators for groundwater contamination by seawater intrusion on the Lebanese coast. Water Resour. Manage., 20(2):161-180.
- Srinivasamoorthy, K., et al. 2013. Hydrochemistry of groundwater in a coastal region of Cuddalore district, Tamil Nadu, India: Implication for quality assessment. Arabian J. Geosic., 6(2):441-454.
- Sawyer, C.N. and P.L. McCarty. 1967. Chemistry for sanitary engineers. McGraw Hill, New York.
- Kennedy, G.W. 2012. Development of a GIS-based approach for the assessment of relative seawater intrusion vulnerability in Nova Scotia, Canada. IAH 2012 Congress, Niagara Falls, Ontario.
- Allen, D.M. and M. Suchy. 2001. Geochemical evoluation of groundwater on Saturna island, British Columbia, Canada. Canadian J. Earth Sci., 38(71):1059-1080.
- APHA. 1999. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (20th edn). American Public Health Association, Washington DC.
- Todd, D.K. 1959. Groundwater hydrology. John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York.
- IS 10500. 2012. Drinking water specification (2nd revision). Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Mandol, N.C., et al. 2010. Determining the interaction between groundwater and saline water through groundwater major ions chemistry. J. Hydrol., 388(1-2):100-111.
- Robinove, C.J., R.H. Langford and J.W. Brookhart. 1958. Saline-water resource of North Dakota. Geological survey water-supply paper 1428. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington DC.
- Babu, M.M., et al. 2012. Assessment of salt water intrusion alongwith coastal areas of Nellore district, A.P. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res., 4:173-178.
- Naily, W. 2018. The ratio of major ions in groundwater to determine saltwater intrusion in coastal areas. IOP Conference Series : Earth Env. Sci., 118(1):012021.
- Klassen, J., D.M. Allen and D. Kirste. 2014. Chemical indicators of saltwater intrusion for the Gulf islands, British Columbia (final report). BC Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and BC Ministry of Environment.
- Carol, E.S. and E.E. Kruse. 2012. Hydrochemical characterization of the water resources in the coastal environments of the outer Rio de la Plata estuary, Argentina. J. South American Earth Sci., 37:113-121.
- Naramy, T.S., et al. 2014. Identification of the hydrogeochemical processes in groundwater using classic integrated geochemical methods and geostatistical techniques in Amol-Babol plain, Iran. Sci. World J. DOI: 10.1155/2014/419058.
- Lakshmanan, E., R. Kannan and M.S. Kumar. 2003. Major ion chemistry and identification of hydrogeo-chemical processes of groundwater in a part of Kancheepuram district, Tamil Nadu, India. Env. Geosci., 10(4):157-166.
- Bear, J., et al. 1999. Seawater intrusion in coastal aquifers: Concepts, methods and practices (vol. 14). Springer Science & Business Media.
- Herezeg, A.L. and W.M. Edmunds. 1999. Inorganic ions as tracers in subsurface hydrology. In Environmental tracers in subsurfaces hydrology. Kluwer Academic Publishers. pp 79-109.
- Garcia, G.M., et al. 2001. Geochemistry of groundwater in the alluvial plain of Tucuman province, Argentina. Hydrogeol. J., 9(6):597-610.
- Abdalla, F. 2016. Ionic ratios as tracers to assess seawater intrusion and to identify salinity sources in Jazan coastal aquifer, Saudi Arabia. Arabian J. Geosci., 9(1):40.
- Fetter, C. 1993. Contaminant hydrogeology. Macmillan Publishing Co., New York.
- Nair, I.S., S. Renganayaki and L. Elango. 2013. Identification of seawater intrusion by Cl/Br ratio and mitigation through managed aquifer recharge in aquifers north of Chennai, India. J. Ground. Res., 2(1):155-162.
- Richter, B.C., et al. 1986. Geochemistry of salt water beneath the rolling plains, north central Texas. Groundwater. 24(6):735-742.
- Morris, A.W. and J.P. Riley. 1966. The bromide/chlorinity and sulphate/chlorinity ratio in seawater. Deep-sea Res. Oceanographic. 13(4):699-705.
- Manheim, F.T. 1972b. Natural brines. In The encyclopedia of geochemistry and environmental sciences. Ed R.W. Fairbridge. Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York. pp 764-769.
- McCaffrey, et al. 1987. The evaporation path of seawater and the coprecipitation of Br-and K+with halite. J. Sedimentary Res., 57(5):928-937.
- Piper, A.M. 1944. A graphic procedure in the geochemical interpretation of water analyses. Eos. Transactions American Geophysical Union. 25(6):914-928.
- Narsimha, A. and V. Sudarshan. 2017. Contamination of fluoride in groundwater and its effect on human health : A case study in hard rock aquifers of Siddipet, Telangana state, India. Appl. Water Sci., 7(5):2501-2512.
- Kim, K. and S.T. Yun. 2005. Buffering of sodium concentration by cation exchange in the groundwater system of a sandy aquifer. Geochem. J., 39(3):273-284.
- Kumar, S.K., et al. 2011. Hydrogeochemical study of shallow carbonate aquifers, Rameswaram island, India. Env. Monit. Assess., 184(7):4127-4139.
- Omonona, V.O., et al. 2014. Hydrochemical characteristics of groundwater of a coastal aquifer in south-south Nigeria. Adv. Appl. Sci. Res., 5:77-90.
- Logeshkumaran, et al. 2015. Hydrogeochemistry and application of water quality index (WQI) for groundwater quality assessment, Anna Nagar part of Chennai city, Tamil Nadu, India. Appl. Water Sci., 5(4):335-343.
- Subramani, T., et al. 2010. Groundwater geochemistry and identification of hydrogeochemical processes in a hard rock region, Southern India. Env. Monit. Assess., 162(1):123-137.
- Latha, P.S. and K.N. Rao. 2012. An integrated approach to assess the quality of groundwater in a coastal aquifer of Andhra Pradesh, India. Env. Earth Sci., 66(8):2143-2169.
- Schoeller, H. 1977. Geochemistry of groundwater. In Groundwater studies–An international guide for research and practice. Ed R.H. Brown, A.A. Konoplyantsev, J. Ineson and V.S. Kovalevsky. pp 1-18.
- WHO. 2004. Guidelines for drinking water quality (3rd edn). World Health Organization, Geneva.