IJEP 42(7): 831-840 : Vol. 42 Issue. 7 (July 2022)
Seethalakshmi Ramaswami College, Tiruchirappalli – 620 002, Tamil Nadu, India
This research article aims to establish the equilibrium adsorption behaviour of reactive orange 107 and reactive black 5 from aqueous solutions onto 8% PANI-CuCl2. A batch process was adopted and the effects of different parameters, such as contact time, adsorbent dosage, adsorbate concentration and agitation speed on adsorption efficiency at pH 6.6 and 4.4, respectively under a constant temperature of 303 K were studied. The spontaneous and exothermic nature was exemplified by the thermodynamic study. 8% PANI-CuCl2 was characterized by FTIR and SEM. The equilibrium data were analysed using Langmuir, Freundlich and Temkin adsorption isotherm models. The adsorption can be best described by the pseudo-second-order kinetic model and Langmuir isotherm. The adsorbent is capable of decolourising the dye in considerable amount by simple exposure to sunlight.
Adsorption, Kinetics, Thermodynamic study
- Oliveira, D.P., et al. 2006. Mutagenic compounds generated from the chlorination of disperse azo dyes and their presence in drinking water. Env. Sci. Tech., 40:6682-6689.
- El Samrani, A.G., et al. 2008. Chemical coagulation of combined sewer overflow : Heavy metal removal and treatment optimization. Water Res., 42:951-960.
- Verma, V.K., et al. 2008. Ion exchange during heavy metal biosorption from aqueous solution by dried biomass of macrophytes. Bioresour. Tech., 99:1932-1938.
- Wu, C.H., et al. 2005. Decolourization of Amarnath by advanced oxidation processes. React. Kinet. Catal. Lett., 86:37-43.
- Forgacs, E., et al. 2004. Removal of synthetic dyes from wastewater. Env. Int., 30:953-971.
- Annadurai, G. et al. 1999. Adsorption of reactive dye on chitin. Env. Monit. Assess., 59:111-119.
- Kaner, R.B., et al. 2017. Polyaniline nanofibers : Broadening applications for conducting polymers. Chem. Soc. Rev., 46:1510-1525.
- Gunes, S., et al. 2007. Conjugated polymer-based organic solar cells. Chem. Rev., 107:1324-1338.
- Lacaze, P.C., et al. 1998. Electrosynthesis of adherent polyaniline films on iron and mild steel in aqueous oxalic acid medium. Synth. Met., 93:133-142.
- Wu, M.S., T.C. Wen and A. Gopalan. 2002. In situ UV-visible spectroelectrochemical studies on the copolymerization of diphenylamine with anthranilic acid. Mater. Chem. Phys., 74:58-65.
- Patil, S., et al. 2009. Adsorption and desorption kinetics of anionic dyes on doped polyaniline. J. Phys. Chem. B. 43:113:2293-2299.
- Patil, S., et al. 2008. Adsorption of sulphonated dyes by polyaniline emeraline salt and its kinetics. J. Phys. Chem. B. 112:10153-10157.
- Bingol, D., et al. 2012. Analysis of adsorption of reactive azo dye into CuCl2doped polyaniline using Box-Behnken design approach. Synthetic Metals. 162:1566-1571.
- Joyce, M., et al. 2008. Synthesis and characterization of polyaniline derivative and silver nanoparticle composites. Polym. Int., 57:1083-1089.
- Machappa, T. and M.V.N. Ambika Prasad. 2009. AC conductivity and dielectric behaviour of polyaniline/sodium metavenadate (PANI/NaVO3) composites. Phy. B:Condens. Matter., 404:4168.
- Huang, Y.F. and C.W. Lin. 2009. Introduction of methanol in the formation of polyaniline nanotubes in an acid-tree aqueous solution through a self-curling process. Polymer. 50:775-782.
- MacDiarmid, A.G. and S.K. Manohar. 1994. High molecular weight polyanilines and synthetic methods therefore US5519111A, United States.
- Tarachiwin, L., et al. 2002. Electrical conductivity response of polyaniline films to ethanol-water mixtures. Synth. Met., 129(3):303-308.
- Srivastava, V.C., I.D. Mall and I.M. Mishra. 2006. Equilibrium modelling of single and binary adsorption of cadmium and nickel onto baggase flyash. J. Chem. Eng. Data. 117:79-91.
- Achak, M., et al. 2009. Low cost biosorbent banana peel for the removal of phenolic compounds from olive mill wastewater : Kinetic and equilibrium studies. J. Hazard. Mater., 166:117-125.
- Norzilah, A.H., et al. 2011. Surface modification effects on CNTs adsorption of Methylene Blue and phenol. J. Nanomater. Article ID 495676.
- Yao, Y., et al. 2010. Adsorption behaviour of methylene blue on carbon nanotubes. Bioresour. Tech., 110:3040-3046.
- Rahman, I.A. and B. Saad. 2003. Utilization of guava seed as as source of activated carbon for removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution. Malaysian J. Chem., 5(1):8-14.
- Setshedi, K., et al. 2012. Removal of Pb (II) from aqueous solution using hydrotalcite, like nanostructured material. Int. J. Phys. Sci., 7:63-72.
- Hossain, M.A., et al. 2012. Removal of copper from water by adsorption onto banana peel as bioadsorbent. Int. J. Geotech. Construction Mater. Env., 2:227-234.
- Vadivelan, V. and K.V. Kumar. 2005. Equilibrium, kinetics, mechanism and process design for the sorption of methylene blue onto rice husk. J. Colloid Interface Sci., 286:90-100.
- Bharathi, K. and S. Ramesh. 2013. Removal of dyes using agricultural waste as low-cost adsorbents : A review. Appl. Water Sci., 3:773-790.
- Langmuir, I. 1916. The constitution and fundamental properties of solids and liquids. Part I. Solids. J. American chem. soc., 38(2):2221-2295.
- Freundlich, H. 1906. Over the adsorption in solution. J. Phys. Chem. A. 57(385-471):1100-1107.
- Tempkin, M.J. and V. Pyzhev. 1940. Recent modification to Langmuir isotherms. Acta Physiochem. USSR. 12:217-222.
- Lagergren. 1898. About the theory of so-called adsorption of soluble substances. Kungliga Svenska Vetenskapsakademiens. Handlingar. 24:1-39.
- Ho, Y.S. and G. McKay. 1999. Pseudo second-order model for sorption processes. Process Bioc-hem., 34:451-465.
- Weber, W.J. and J.C. Morris. 1963. Kinetics of adsorption on carbon from solutions. J. Sanit. Eng. Div. American Soc. Civil Eng., 89:31-59.
- Allen, S.J., G. McKay and K.Y.H. Khader. 1989. Intraparticle diffusion of a basic dye during adsorption onto Sphagnum peat. Env. Poll., 56:39-50.