IJEP 42(8): 942-949 : Vol. 42 Issue. 8 (August 2022)
Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology and Education, Faculty of Economics, Vietnam
The purpose of this paper is to identify environmental protection activities of organizations by scraping data from related news that reports about eco-friendly products for sustainability. A new dataset has been created by web crawling technique. Then, we used text mining techniques to extract the most critical influence factors discussed in the dataset. The findings revealed that there are six main influencing factors: lower fuel consumption, educational institutions, electronic vehicles, differentiation strategy, agriculture and reducing plastic products. The sample was restricted to data collection from english news only during 2019 and 2020, limiting the generalization of the findings. Practical implications of this study show that a set of solutions are proposed in the hope that they can address current concerns and boundaries, together with promoting high quality contribution of ideas and solutions to support environmental protection activities. This is the first study that reveals the main factors influencing eco-friendly products which can help the policymakers to make better decisions. Focused on text mining for green products adoption, this study is unique and valuable.
Eco-friendly trends, Green products, Text analytics, Environment protection, Web content mining, Topic modelling
- Delcea, C., et al. 2019. Modelling the consumers opinion influence in online social media in the case of eco-friendly products. Sustain., 11(6): 1796.
- Jansson, Johan. 2011. Consumer eco-innovation adoption: assessing attitudinal factors and perceived product characteristics. Business Strategy Env., 20(3):192-210.
- Royne, M.B., M. Levy and J. Martinez. 2011. The public health implications of consumers’ environmental concern and their willingness to pay for an eco-friendly product. J. Consumer Affairs. 45(2): 29-343.
- Govindan, K., et al. 2016. Investigation of the influential strength of factors on adoption of green supply chain management practices: An Indian mining scenario. Resour. Conser. Recycling. 107: 185-194.
- Prakash, G. and P. Pathak. 2017. Intention to buy eco-friendly packaged products among young consumers of India: A study on developing nation. J. Cleaner Prod., 141:385-393.
- Katsikeas, C.S., C.N. Leonidou and A. Zeriti. 2016. Eco-friendly product development strategy: antecedents, outcomes and contingent effects. J. Academy Marketing Sci., 44(6):660-684.
- Moons, I., C. Barbarossa and P. De Pelsmacker. 2018. The determinants of the adoption intention of eco-friendly functional food in different market segments. Ecol. eco., 151: 151-161.
- Kim, H., et al. 2016. Adoption of eco-friendly faux leather: examining consumer attitude with the value–belief norm framework. Clothing Textiles Res. J., 34(4):239-256.
- Biswas, A. and M. Roy. 2015. Leveraging factors for sustained green consumption behaviour based on consumption value perceptions: testing the structural model. J. Cleaner Prod., 95: 332-340.
- Nath, V., et al. 2013. Consumer adoption of green products: Modelling the enablers. Global business review. 14(3):453-470.
- De Medeiros, J.F., J.L.D. Ribeiro and M.N. Cortimiglia. 2014. Success factors for environmentally sustainable product innovation: a systematic literature review. J. Cleaner Prod., 65:76-86.
- Filho, W.L., et al. 2019. An overview of the problems posed by plastic products and the role of extended producer responsibility in Europe. J. cleaner prod., 214:550-558.
- Sinclair, S. and G. Rockwell. 2020. Voyant tools.
- Van Eck, N.J. and L. Waltman. 2010. Software survey: VOSviewer, a computer programme for bibliometric mapping. scientometrics. 84(2):523-538.
- Borg, I. and P.J.F. Groenen. 2005. Modern multidimensional scaling (2nd edn). Springer.
- Plotz, P., S.A. Funke and P. Jochem. 2018. Empirical fuel consumption and CO2emissions of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. J. Ind. Ecol., 22(4):773-784.
- Lujan, J. M., et al. 2019. Effectiveness of hybrid powertrains to reduce the fuel consumption and NOx emissions of a Euro 6d-temp diesel engine under real-life driving conditions. Energy Conver. Manage., 199:111987.
- Mushtaq, W., M.B. Siddiqui and K.R. Hakeem. 2020. Allelopathy: Potential for green agriculture. Springer.
- Jun, H. and H. Xiang. 2011. Development of circular economy is a fundamental way to achieve agriculture sustainable development in China. Energy Procedia. 5: 1530-1534.
- Wagner, T. P. 2017. Reducing single-use plastic shopping bags in the USA. Waste Manage., 70:3-12.
- Horejs, C. 2020. Solutions to plastic pollution. Nature Reviews Mater., 5(9):641.
- Belhadi, A., et al. 2020. The integrated effect of big data analytics, lean six sigma and green manufacturing on the environmental performance of manufacturing companies: The case of North Africa. J. Cleaner Prod., 252:119903.