IJEP 42(9): 1027-1033 : Vol. 42 Issue. 9 (September 2022)
1. Amity University, Amity Institute of Environmental Sciences (AIES), Noida – 201 303, Uttar Pradesh, India
2. Shriram Institute for Industrial Research, New Delhi – 110 007, India
In the present study, 24 hr monitoring of noise was carried out inside the M/V Ivan Papanin ship, near the superstructure of the vessel in Bharti island, Larsemann hills, East Antarctica. Besides this, the noise monitoring of earthmovers, generators, helicopters, snow vehicles, drilling and blasting operations was also conducted at Bharti island. Inside the vessel, the maximum level of noise was recorded during lunch-time (64.4-65.2 dB(A)) while the minimum level of noise was recorded in the early morning (39.5 dB(A)). Outside the superstructure vessel, the maximum level of noise was recorded as 67.2 dB(A) and the minimum level of noise was recorded as 59.8 dB(A). The different noise levels have recorded with 1 m distance from the different operations stone crusher (101 dB(A)), LG helicopter Kemov (98 dB(A)), airlift helicopter (93 dB(A)), Menzi muck (93 dB(A)), drilling (93 dB(A)), while with 30 m distance, stone crusher (79 dB(A)), LG helicopter Kemov (81 dB(A)), airlift helicopter (79 dB(A)), Menzi muck (85 dB(A)), drilling (85 dB(A)). The noise level was recorded for the blasting operation as 91 dB(A) from 100 m distance. Continuous monitoring of the noise level is required to predict the harmful impacts on the environment of East Antarctica.
East Antarctica, Larsemann hills, Bharti island, Noise pollution
- Jang, M.W., et al. 2022. Active role of glialike supporting cells in the organ of Corti: Membrane proteins and their roles in hearing. Glia. 70(10): 1799-1825. DOI: 10.1002/glia.24229.
- Coensel, B.D., et al. 2011. Effects of natural sounds on the perception of road traffic noise. J. Acoustical Soc. America.129(4): EL148-153.
- Dooling, R.J. and S.H. Blumenrath. 2013. Avian sound perception in noise (pp 229-250). In Animal communication and noise (vol 2). Ed H. Brumm. Springer Science & Business Media, Berlin, Germany.
- US. 1974. Information on levels of environmental noise requisite to protect public health and welfare with an adequate margin of safety (no. 2115). US Government Printing Office, Office of Noise Abatement and Control.
- Bahadori, R.S. and B.A. Bohne. 1993. Adverse ef fects of noise on hearing. American Family Physician. 47(5): 1219-1231.
- Saran, A.K. 2002. A study of marine ambient acoustic noise in relation to marine life in Antarctic waters (technical publication no. 16, pp 199-211). 18th Indian Expedition to Antarctica, scientific report, 2002. Department of Ocean Development.
- Dhere, A.M., et al. 2009. Noise induced hearing loss (NIHL) in sawmill and printing press workers in Akluj town of Solapur district. J. Env. Sci. Eng., 51(3): 187-190.
- Bhardwaj, L., et al. 2019. Persistent organic pollutants in lakes of Broknes peninsula at Larsemann hills area, East Antarctica. Ecotoxicol., 28(5): 589-596.
- Bhardwaj, L. and T. Jindal. 2019. Contamination of lakes in Broknes peninsula, East Antarctica through the pesticides and PAHs. Asian J. Chem.,31(7):1574-1580.
- Bhardwaj, L.K., and T. Jindal. 2020. Persistent organic pollutants in lakes of Grovnes peninsula at Larsemann hill area, East Antarctica. Earth Systems Env., 4(2):349-358.
- Bhardwaj, L.K., S. Sharma and T. Jindal. 2021. Occurrence of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in the lake water at Grovnes peninsula over East Antarctica. Chem. Africa. 4(4): 965-980.