IJEP 42(9): 1141-1145 : Vol. 42 Issue. 9 (September 2022)
Zinah M. Mahdi*, Manar A. Ehmud and Duaa S. Khazaal
Ministry of Science and Technology, Water and Environment Directory, Iraq
Two local bacterial isolates were used in the production of bioflocculants that help in reducing some pollutants from wastewater. Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Serratia marcesens were isolated from Rustumiya wastewater treatment plant in Baghdad, Iraq. Kurane method is used in bioflocculate production and Kaolin clay test is applied for flocculation efficiency. The optimum output of bio-flocculant was obtained after an incubation period of 30°C for 48 hr, pH 7 and with an inoculum volume of 2 mL with three concentrations (100, 200 and 300 mg/L). Flocculation efficiency of 86.5%, 87.3% and 94. 5% was seen by S. marcesens, P. aeruginosa and alum, respectively. The maximum activity of reduction process was observed with chemical oxygen demand, biological oxygen demand and turbidity with P. aeruginosa (95%, 64.2%, 68.7%) and S. marcesens (65.2%, 70%, 82.7%), consecutively. P. aeruginosa showed slight but evident reduction efficiency in BOD and COD.
Bioflocculation, Bioflocculant crude, Wastewater, S. marcesens, Turbidity
- Zhang, C.L., Y.N. Cui and Y. Wang. 2012. Bio-floculants produced from bacteria for decolou-rization Cr removal and swine wastewater application. Sustain. Env. Res., 22(2):129-134.
- Minora, T., K. Ryuichiro and N. Isei. 1991. Localization of a biopolymer produced by Rhodococcus erythropolis grown on n-pentadecane. Agric. Biol. Chem., 55(10):2665-2666.
- Bajaj, I.B. and R.S. Singhal. 2011. Flocculation properties of poly (y-glutamic acid) produced by Bacillus subtilis isolate. Food Bioprocess Tech., 4:745-752.
- Leonard, M., et al. 2012. Studies on bioflocculant production by Arthrobacter sp. Raatsa freshwater bacterium isolated from Tyume river South Africa. Int. J. Molec. Sci., 13:1054-1065.
- Salehizadeh, H. and N. Yan. 2014. Recent advances in extracellular biopolymer flocculants. Biotech. Adv., 32(8):1506-1522.
- Zhang, Z., S. Xia and J. Zhang. 2010. Characterization and flocculation mechanism of high efficiency microbioflocculantt TJ-F1 from Proteus mirabilis. Colloids Surf. B Bioint., 75(1):247-251.
- Bing, X., X.C. Dai and Y.T. Xu. 2007. Cause and pro-alarm control of bulking and foaming by Microthix parvicella- A case study in triple oxidation ditch at a wastewater treatment plant. J. Hazard. Mater., 43(1-2):184-191.
- Holt, J.G., et al. 1994. Determinable of bacteriological (9th edn). William Bergy Manual and Wilkins. Baltmore. pp 82-485.
- Ryuichiro, K., et al. 1994. Production of a biofloc-culant by Rhodococcus erythropolis S1 grown on alcohols. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem., 58(2):428-429.
- Eugene, R., et al. 2012. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (22nd edn). American Public Health Association, U.S.A.
- Machereth, F.I.F. and J.F. Haron and J. Talling. 1978. Water analysis: Some revised method for limnologist. Freshwater Biological Association, Scientific Publication, London.
- SAS. 2012. SAS/STAT® 12.1 user’s guide. SAS Institute Inc., North Carolina, U.S.A.
- Nwodo, U.U. and A.L. Okoh. 2013. Characterization and flocculation properties of bio-polymeric flocculent (glycosaminoglycan) produced by Callulo-monas sp. Okoh. J. Appl. Microbiol., 114:1325-1337.
- Gouveia J.G., et al. 2019. Optimization of biofloc-cutant production by Bacillus spp. from sugarcane crop soil or from sludge of the agro industrial effluent. Brazilian J. Chem. Eng., 36(2):627-637.
- Ryuiciro, K. and N. Kunio. 1999. Production of an extracellular polysaccharide bioflocculant by Klebsiella pneumoniae. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem., 63 (12):2064-2068.
- Salehizadeh, H. and S.A. Shojaosadati. 2001. Extra cellular bio-polymeric flocculents: Recent trends and biotechnological importance. Biotech Adv., 19 (5):371-385.
- Giri, A.V., et al. 2004. A novel medium for the enhanced cell growth and production of podigiosin from Serratia marcescens isolated from soil. BMC Microbiol, 4:11.
- Bin, L., et al. 2008. Microbial flocculation by Bacillus mucilaginosus: Applications and mechanisms. Bioresour. Tech., 99(11):4825-4831.
- Yang, Q., et al. 2012. A novel bioflocculant produced by Klebsiella sp. and its application to sludge dewatering. Water Env. J., 26 (4):560-566.
- Agunbiademagowa, O., et al. 2017. Flocculating performance by Arthrobacter humicola in sewage water treatment. BMC Biotech., 17:51.
- Deng, S., G. Yu and P.T. Yan. 2005. Production of a bioflocculant by Aspergillus parasiticus and its application in dye removal. Colloids Surf. B Bioint., 44(4):179-186.