IJEP 43(4): 339-345 : Vol. 43 Issue. 4 (April 2023)
Anil Dutt Vyas*
Manipal University, Jaipur, Rajasthan – 303 007, India
The impact of air pollutants on human health is a major issue that developing nations are facing in last decade. Effect of particulate matter especially PM2.5 and PM10 has been severely affecting mortality and morbidity in Rajasthan state as per global lead medical journal Lancet recent publication. Twelve air pollutant-monitoring stations in Jaipur city are not enough to predict the exact concentration of air pollutants in each of the 91 wards of Jaipur. In absence of accurate concentration at micro level, it becomes a major challenge for urban planners to remedial strategies. In this paper through GIS spatial distribution, a comparative study of particulate matter at each of the 91 wards during pre-lockdown for the year 2019 and post-lockdown 2020 was done. Results for 2020 showed slightly less pollution; similarly, air purity index, an indicator for healthier environment, was determined for each ward.
Air pollution, Particulate matter, Wards, Spatial distribution, Pre- and post-lockdown
- WHO. 2019. Health topics, air pollution overview. World Health Organization, Geneva. Available at : www.who.int/, 2019.
- U.S.EPA. 2016. Nitrogen dioxide (NO2). United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- USEPA. 2020. Particulate matter (PM) pollution. United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- Balakrishnan, K., et al. 2019. The impact of air pollution on deaths, disease burden and life expectancy across the states of India: the global burden of disease study 2017. The Lancet, Planetary Health. 3(1): E26-E39. doi: 10.1016/S2542-5196(18)30261-4.
- The Lancet Planetary Health. 2020. Health and economic impact of air pollution in the states of India: the global burden of disease study 2019. DOI: 10.1016/S2542-5196(20)30298-9.
- TNN. 2017. Rajasthan has highest deaths due to chronic pulmonary diseases in country. The Times of India. November 15.
- Dadhich, A.P., P.N. Dadhich and R. Goyal. 2018. A GIS based approach for assessment of ambient air quality in Kota city. J. Basic Appl. Eng. Res., 5(2): 89-93.
- ENVIS. 2020. National Air Monitoring Programme (NAMP), ENVIS. Centre on Control of Pollution Water, Air and Noise. Available at : http://www. cpcbenvis.nic.in/air_pollution_main.html.
- ORGCC. 2012-13. Annual health survey. Fact sheet. Available at : https://www.censusindia.gov. in/ vital_statistics/AHSBulletins/AHS_Factsheets_ 2012-13/FACTSHEET-Rajasthan.pdf.
- Singh, V. 2019. Deaths due to air pollution highest in Rajasthan: Experts. Outlook, The News Scroll. August 8.
- Vyas, A.D., et al. 2020a. Optimum weights of environmental parameters in evaluating urban environmental sustainability index: case study of Jaipur city. ISH J. Hydraulic Eng., DOI: 10.1080/0971 5010.2020.1830865.
- Macrotrends. 2020. India metro area population 1950-2020. United Nations- World Population Forecast. Available at : https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/21280/jaipur/population.
- Ambient Air Quality Standards. 2020. Air quality management. Central Pollution Control Board, New Delhi. Available at : http://www.cpcbenvis.nic.in/air_pollution_main.html.
- Vyas, A.D., et al. 2020b. Optimum weights of environmental parameters in evaluating urban environmental sustainability index: case study of Jaipur city. ISH J. Hydraulic Eng., DOI: 10.1080/097150 10.2020.1830865.
- Rajasthan at a Glance. 2016. Urban Development and Housing, Government of Rajasthan, Town Planning Department. Available at : https://urban. rajasthan.gov.in/content/raj/udh/ctp/en/urban-profile/rajasthan-at-glance.html.