IJEP 43(4): 346-355 : Vol. 43 Issue. 4 (April 2023)
1. Prince of Songkla University, Faculty of Environmental Management, Hatyai, Songkhla – 90110, Thailand
2. Sustainable Study and Research Institute, Kathmandu-16, Nepal
3. Tribhuvan University, Faculty of Environmental Science, Kirtipur – 44618, Nepal
Unmanaged solid waste in educational institutions is becoming a serious issue. Most educational institutions from developing countries rely upon the government for the management of their waste, that is they collect the waste within their premises and dump it into the municipal waste disposal truck or vehicle. Concern remains about whether the disposed of waste has been segregated or not. This exists either due to a lack of awareness of waste management practices or due to the attitude of the university’s members including students, faculty, administrators and staff. The study design and health hazard of papers retrieved in this comprehensive literature search were analyzed. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses (PRISMA) guidelines were used to review and select 16 published publications for this study. Out of 16 studies, five of them were related to the health effects due to improper solid waste management practices. The evidence depicted that improper management of solid waste management at university impacts the health of faculty members. However, causal or non-causal relationships are not depicted in this study. This review concludes that unmanaged solid waste can impact the health status of faculty members.
Faculties members, Hazardous effect, Management, Occupational health, Solid waste
- Burke, C.S., et al. 2012. Measuring macrocognition in teams: Some insights for navigating the complexities. In Macrocognition metrics and scenarios: Design and evaluation for real-world teams. pp 29-43.
- Ferronato, N. and V. Torretta. 2019. Waste mismanagement in developing countries: A review of global issues. Int. J. Env. Res. Public Health. 16 (6). DOI : 10.3390/ijerph16061060.
- Khan, B.A., et al. 2022. Healthcare waste management in Asian developing countries: A mini review. Waste Manage. Res., 37(9):863–875.
- UNEP. 2005. Solid waste management : Regional overviews and information sources (vol II). CalRecovery Inc., United Nations Programme.
- Giusti, L. 2009. A review of waste management practices and their impact on human health. Waste manage., 29(8):2227–2239.
- Babs-Shomoye, F. and R. Kabir. 2016. Health effects of solid waste disposal at a dumpsite on the surrounding human settlements. J. Public Health Develop. Countries. 2(3): 268–275.
- Jerie, S. and D. Tevera. 2014. Solid waste management practices in the informal sector of Gweru, Zimbabwe. J. Waste Manage., 2014:1–7.
- Manandhar, N., et al. 2021. Management and awareness on health hazards of household waste: A community based study. Birat J. Health Sci., 6(2):1440–1443.
- Saseanu, A.S., et al. 2019. The impact of education and residential environment on long-term waste management behaviour in the context of sustainability. Sustain. (Switzerland). 11(14):1–17.
- McAllister, J. 2015. Factors influencing solid-waste management in the developing world. All graduate plan B other reports.
- Zohur-uz-Zaman, M.S.M. and A. Riyad. 2014. Sustainable management scheme for academic institutional solid waste: A case study in Khulna metropolitan city, Bangladesh. Int. J. Computer Applications. 91(10): 21–26.
- Moqbel, S. 2018. Solid waste management in educational institutions: The case of the University of Jordan. Env. Res. Eng. Manage., 74(2):23–33.
- Gebreeyessus, G.D., D. Berihun and B. Terfassa. 2018. Characterization of solid wastes in higher education institutions: the case of Kotebe Metropolitan University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 16(7):3117–3124.
- Iojã, C.I., et al. 2012. Waste management in public educational institutions of Bucharest city, Romania. Procedia Env. Sci., 14:71–78.
- Budihardjo, M.A., et al. 2021. Sustainable solid waste management strategies for higher education institutions: Diponegoro university, indonesia, case study. Sustain. (Switzerland). 13(23).
- Ana, G., et al. 2011. Solid waste management problems in secondary schools in Ibadan, Nigeria. J. Env. Health. 74(2):24–28.
- Vargas, D.B. and L.M. de S. Campos. 2020. Waste management in higher education institutions: A state-of-the-art overview. International Conference on Industrial engineering and operations management. Proceedings, pp 75–86.
- Hartanti, L., I. Mulyana and T. Hartiana. 2020. Waste in higher education institution : A systematic literature review. Int. J. Sci. Tech. Res., 9(9): 16–22.
- Kaur, P., et al. 2020. Systematic literature review of food waste in educational institutions: Setting the research agenda. Int. J. Contemporary Hospitality Manage., 33(4):1160–1193.
- Hong, Q., et al. 2018. Mixed methods appraisal tool (MMAT) version 18 : User guide. McGill. pp 1–10.
- Joyce, P. 2010. Evaluation research in education. Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin.
- Institute, J.B. 2017. Checklist for qualitative research. The Joanna Briggs Institute.
- Page, M.J., et al. 2021. The PRISMA 2020 statement: An updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews. Int. J. Surgery. 88:1–11.
- Kamioka, H. 2019. Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015 statement. Japanese Pharmacol. Therapeutics. 47(8):1177–1185.
- Barloa, E.P., et al. 2016. Knowledge, attitudes and practices on solid waste management among undergraduate students in a Philippine State University. Env. Earth Sci., 6(6):146–153.
- Addo, H.O, et al. 2017. Correlates of domestic waste management and related health outcomes in Sunyani, Ghana: A protocol towards enhancing policy. BMC Public Health. 17(1):1–10.
- Ruiz, I.M., et al. 2021. Solid waste management awareness and practices of Saint Michael College of Caraga. SMCC Hotel Restaurant Manage. J., 2:22-35.
- Adeyi, A.A. and A.M. Adeyemi. 2019. Potential occupational health effects of municipal solid waste management in Nigeria, the case of Lagos and Ibadan. Ife J. Sci., 21(2):417.
- Paghasian, M.C. 2017. Awareness and practices on solid waste management among college students in Mindanao State University, Maigo School of Arts and Trades. 3rd International Conference on Education and training. Proceedings,128 : 5–12.
- Starovoytova, D. and S. Namango. 2018. Solid waste management at a university campus (part 3/10): Waste generators, current practices and compliance with relevant-law-provisions. J. Env. Earth Sci., 8(6): 140-170.
- Molina, R.A. and I. Catan. 2021. Solid waste management awareness and practices among senior high school students in a state college in Zamboanga city, Philippines. Aquademia. 5(1) : 1-8.
- Bautista, P.R. 2019. Level of awareness and practices on solid waste management (SWM) among college students. J. Biol. Env. Sci., 2019(1): 131–138.
- Hidayah, E.N., et al. 2020. Solid waste management practices at The Academic Institution: Current situation and strategic plan. Int. J. Eco-Innovation Sci. Eng., 1(1):18–24.
- Gunasiri, W.D.C.T. and G.D.V.R. Senadheera. 2019. Relationship of knowledge and attitudes of managerial officers with their solid waste management practices in Sri Lanka. Vidyodaya J. Manage., 5(2):53–70.
- Akmal, T. and F. Jamil. 2021. Assessing health damages from improper disposal of solid waste in metropolitan islamabad–rawalpindi, Pakistan. Sustain. (Switzerland). 13(5):1–18.
- Suleman, Y. 2016. Solid waste disposal and community health implications in Ghana: Evidence from Sawaba, Asokore Mampong Municipal Assembly. J. Civil and Env. Eng., 5(6).
- Sankoh, F.P., X. Yan and Q. Tran. 2013. Environmental and health impact of solid waste disposal in developing cities: A case study of Granville Brook dumpsite, Freetown, Sierra Leone. J. Env. Prot., 4(7): 665–670.
- Vinti, G., et al. 2021. Municipal solid waste management and adverse health outcomes: A systematic review. Int. J. Env. Res. Public Health. 18(8):1–26.
- Ziraba, A.K., T.N. Haregu and B. Mberu. 2016. A review and framework for understanding the potential impact of poor solid waste management on health in developing countries. Arch. Public Health. 4(1):1–11. DOI:10.1186/s13690-016-0166-4.
- Abul, S. 2010. Environmental and health impact of solid waste disposal at mangwaneni dumpsite in manzini, Swaziland. J. Sustain. Develop. Africa. 12(7):15.