IJEP 43(4): 376-384 : Vol. 43 Issue. 4 (April 2023)
Sri Krishna College of Engineering and Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu – 641 042, India
The Singanallur lake at Coimbatore which is situated in southern India is an important drinking water resource for all living beings. The pollution in the lake has increased drastically in a particular period of time. Water quality was tested and analyzed by physico-chemical parameters from July 2021 to November 2021. This study was conducted to find out whether the quality of water is adhering to WQI standards for usage and to provide recommendations for polluted areas. Water samples were collected from 6 locations and analyzed for physico-chemical parameters. We have discussed the source and potential health effects of designated use of water. From this we can know the status of quality of water and prevent diseases occurring among people. This helps us to save lake for better utilization.
Physico-chemical parameters, Water quality, Remedial measures
- Crispin, C.A. and R. Sivakumar. 2020. Urbanization and industrialization impact on surface water in Coimbatore Sulur sub-watershed. Int. J. Recent Tech. Eng., 8:5097-5101.
- Chaurasia, M. and G.C. Pandey. 2007. Study of physico-chemical characteristic of some water pond of Ayodhya-Faizabad. Indian J. Env. Prot., 27:1019-1023.
- Kalpana, R., S. Bhave and R. Udayasuriyan. 2017. Water physico-chemical characteristics, species diversity and density of zooplankton in two perennial lakes of Coimbatore city (India). Annual Res. Review Biol., 15:1-17.
- Raj, R.M., et al. 2000. Pollution status of wetlands in urban Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India. Bull. Env. Contam. Toxicol., 64:638-643.
- Sunkad, B.N. and H.S. Patel. 2004. Water quality assessment of Fort lake of Belgaum (Karnataka) with special reference to zooplankton. J. Env. Biol., 25:99-102.
- Chandra, R., K. A. Nishadh and P.A. Azeez. 2009. Monitoring water quality of Coimbatore wetlands, Tamil Nadu, India. Env. Monit. Assess., 169:671-676.
- Karthikeyani, T.P., J.M. Sashikumar and M. Ramesh. 2002. Physico-chemical, biological and bacteriological studies of Kadathur canal water of Amaravathi river, Tamil Nadu. J. Poll. Res., 2(11): 21-23.
- Nair, G.A., M. Abdullah and M.F. Mahamouad. 2005. Physico-chemical parameters and correlation coefficients of surface waters of north-east Libya. Poll. Res., 24:1-6.
- Mohanta, B.K. and A.K. Patra. 2000. Studies on the water quality index of river Sanmachhakandana at Keonjhar Garh, Orissa. J. Poll. Res., 19:377-385.
- Rao, G.S. and N. Rao. 2010. Study of surface water quality in Greater Visakhapatnam city, Andhra Pradesh, India. J. Env. Sci. Eng., 52:137-146.
- Krishnakumar, P., et al. 2019. Assessment of surface water quality in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. Int. J. Adv. Res. Eng. Tech., 10:398-404.
- Mohan, S.M. and Vanalakshami. 2013. Assessment of water quality in Nayyal river through water quality index. Int. J. Water Resour. Env. Eng., 5:35-48.
- Usharani, K., et al. 2010. Physico-chemical and bacteriological characteristics of Noyyal river and groundwater quality of Perur, India. J. Appl. Sci. Env. Manage., 14:29-35.
- Chockalingam, N., S. Banerjee and S. Murudhan. 2019. Characterization of physico-chemical parameters of textile effluents and its impacts on environment. Env. Natural Resour. J., 17:41-53.
- Jeyaraj, M., et al. 2016. Investigation of physico-chemical and biological characteristics of various lake water in Coimbatore district, Tamil Nadu, India. Oriental J. Chem., 32:2087-2094.
- Akpor, O.B., et al. 2014. Pollutants in wastewater effluents : Impacts and remediation processes. Int. J. Env. Res. Earth Sci., 3:50-59.
- Krishnakumar, P. and V. Yogeshwaran. 2017. Hydrogeochemical study of Kinathukkadavu taluk, Coimbatore integrated with geographical information system. Asian J. Appl. Sci. Tech., 1:18-23.
- Parasanna, M.V., et al. 2010. A study on hydro-chemical characteristics of surface and sub-surface water in and around Perumal lake, Cuddalore district, Tamil Nadu, South India. Env. Earth Sci., 63:31-47.
- Shamsuddin, M.K.N., et al. 2016. Hydrochemical assessment of surface water and groundwater quality at bank infiltration site. IOP Conf. Series Mater. Sci. Eng., 136:012073.
- Dinka, M.O., et al. 2015. Hydrochemical characterization of serious surface water and groundwater resources available in Matahara areas, Fantalle Woreda of Oromiya region. J. Hydrol. Regional Studies. 3:444-456.