IJEP 43(7): 648-652 : Vol. 43 Issue. 7 (July 2023)
Rajendra R. Barai and Mahesh V. Raut*
G. H. Raisoni Institute of Engineering and Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, Nagpur, Maharashtra – 440 028, India
Bricks made of recycled plastic are known as plastic. Plastic waste clogs-up the environment and is unsightly, especially in public areas where it is increasing every day. When transported plastic garbage is in the separation zones, it is burned or discarded, harming the environment and the air. This is among the best ways to prevent pollution from non-biodegradable materials and plastic garbage from accumulating. At the moment, bricks are being made from plastic waste, quarry dust and manufactured sand (M-sand), in which they are mixed at a temperature of around 200°C. Various ratios of generated M-sand and quarry dust were used alongwith high-density polyethylene (HDPE) and low-density polyethylene (LDPE) bags to create bricks in order to lower pollution and overall building costs. In plastic bricks making process, sand was substituted with manufactured sand in amounts of 40%, 50% and 60% of the total weight of the brick, alongwith 15% quarry dust in each of three ratios. Colourants can be added to the mixture to get the desired hues. This paper, therefore, examines the properties of brick created from plastic waste. Using different mix ratio (1:2, 1:3 and 1:4), the brick’s maximum strength was calculated. From the results, we found that plastic bricks absorbed less water. These bricks are lightweight and cost-effective.
Plastic waste, High-density polyethylene, Low-density polyethylene, manufactured sand, Quarry dust, Ferric oxide
- Parasnis, A., et al. 2020. Introduction to plastic pollution. The Energy and Resources Institute, Navi Mumbai, India.
- Bote, D. and A.R. Vasatkar. 2020. Study of waste plastic and stone dust for reuse in construction industry as blocks or tiles. Int. Res. J. Eng. Tech., 9:2395-0056.
- Salahuddin, S.S.S. and S.S. Zambani. 2020. The utilization of waste HDPE plastic in manufacturing plastic sand bricks. Int. Res. J. Eng. Tech., 7(6): 3938-3942.
- Gawande, A., et al. 2012. An overview on waste plastic utilization in asphalting of roads. J. Eng. Res. Studies. III (II): 1-5.
- Sultan, M., et al. 2020. Utilization of waste plastic in manufacturing of plastic-sand bricks. Int. J. In- nov. Eng. Sci., 5 (1): 2456-3463.
- Avinash, G.B., et al. 2019. The utilization of waste plastic in manufacturing of paver blocks. Int. J. Innov. Res. Sci. Eng. Tech., 8(6):6674-6680.
- Shekh, S., et al. 2020. The use of waste plastic in the manufacture of bricks. Int. Res. J. Eng. Tech., 7(4): 2395-0056.
- Dinesh, S., A. Dinesh and K. Kirubakaran. 2016. Utilization of waste plastic in the manufacturing of bricks and paver blocks. Int. J. Appl. Eng. Res., 11(3): 364-368.
- Clement, M. 2019. An experimental study on bricks manufactured using M-sand, saw dust and recycled plastic. Int. J. Adv. Res. Eng. Tech., 10 (4):171-178.
- IS 1077. 1992. Common burnt clay building bricks- Specification (5th rev). Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Singhal, A. and O. Netula. 2018. Utilization of plastic waste in the manufacturing of plastic sand bricks. 3rd International Conference on New frontiers of engineering, science, management and humanities (ICNFESMH-2018). Proceedings, pp 207-210.
- Sahani, K., et al. 2022. Mechanical properties of plastic sand brick containing plastic waste. Adv. Civil Eng., DOI: 10.1155/2022/8305670.
- IS 1394. 1992. Methods of test of burnt clay building bricks. Part 3: Determination of efflorescence. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Shah, R., et al. 2017. Study of plastic dust brick made from waste plastic. Int. J. Mech. Prod. Eng., 5(10): 2320-2092.
- Kazi, B., et al. 2021. Reusing plastic waste in paver blocks. Int. J. Eng. Res. Tech., 9(4): 39-41.
- Naveen, P.N.E., et al. 2020. Performance evaluation of plastic brick composites. Int. Res. J. Eng. Tech., 7(7): 2395-0056.
- Ghuge, J., et al. 2019. Utilization of waste plastic in manufacturing of paver blocks. Int. Res. J. Eng. Tech., 6(4): 2395-0056.
- Shiva Prathap, H.K., et al. 2019. Utilization of waste plastic in manufacturing of paver blocks. J. Emerg. Tech. Innov. Res., 6 (5): 2349-5162.
- Maneeth, P.D., et al. 2014. Utilization of waste plastic in manufacturing of plastic-soil bricks. Int. J. Eng. Res. Tech., 3 (8): 529-536.
- Tapkire, G., et al. 2014. Recycled plastic is used in concrete paver block. Int. J. Res. Eng., Tech., 3 (9): 2319-1163.
- Jain, P. K., S. Kumar and J. B. Sengupta, 2011. Mitigation of rutting in bituminous roads by use of waste polymeric packaging materials. Indian J. Eng. Mater. Sci., 18:233-238.