IJEP 41(1): 94-99 : Vol. 41 Issue. 1 (January 2021)
Vijai Krishna*, Dharmendra Kumar, Rajni Srivastava, Himanshu Kumar and Anil Kumar Pandey
Banaras Hindu University, Institute of Environment and Sustainable Development, Varanasi – 221 005, U.P., India
Scrappers or scrap dealers or scrap traders play an important role in the municipal solid waste management of a city, like collection, storage, sorting, reuse and recycling of waste. Scrapping has become a livelihood practice of a large group of people especially in developing countries, where government authorities are not much efficient in waste management. Scrappers not only clean the cities but also help the city authorities by doing so. But their socio-economic condition is not well. In this research paper the results of a survey have been discussed to assess the socio-economic scenario of scrappers in the city of Varanasi of Uttar Pradesh state in India, like education, health, entertainment, help from NGOs, police harassment and their practice of waste collection, storage, sorting, selling, etc. The results of the survey clearly indicate that the socio-economic condition of these scrappers is very bad and need the attention of government and waste management authorities for the improvement of them.
Scrappers, Municipal solid waste management, Socio-economic scenario, Varanasi
- Srivastava, R., V. Krishna and I. Sonkar. 2014. Characterization and management of municipal solid waste: A case study of Varanasi city. Int. J. Current Res. Academic Review. 2(8): 10-16.
- Kaushal, R.K., G.K. Varghese and M. Chabukdhara. 2012. Municipal solid waste management in India – Current state and future challenges: A review. Int. J. Eng. Sci. Tech., 4(4): 1473-1489.
- Sharholy, M., et al. 2007. Municipal solid waste characteristics and management in Allahabad. J. Waste Manage., 27: 490–496.
- Krishna, V. and S. Chaurasia. 2017. Assessment of potential of energy recovery from municipal solid waste of Allahabad city. Int. J. Appl. Res. Tech., 2(3): 165-171.
- Krishna, V. and S. Chaurasia. 2016. Assessment of socio-economic condition and role of rag pickers in municipal solid waste management in Allahabad city (U.P.). Int. J. Appl. Res. Tech., 1(1): 13-20.
- Krishna, V., H. Kumar and S. Chaurasia. 2019. Socio-economic scenario of rag pickers and their role in municipal solid waste management of city of Varanasi. J. Emerging Tech. Innovative Res., 6(1): 626-641.
- Idris, A., B. Inane and M.N. Hassan. 2004. Overview of waste disposal and landfills dumps in Asian countries. Mater. Cycles Waste Manage., 16:104-110.
- Kumar, S. and S.A. Gaikwad. 2004. Municipal solid waste management in Indian urban centres. In An approach for betterment, urban development debates in the new millennium. Ed K. R. Gupta. Atlantic Publications and Distributors, New Delhi. pp 100-111.
- Saxena, S., R.K. Srivastava and A.B. Samaddar. 2010. Sustainable waste management issues in India. J. Soil Water Sci., 3(1): 72-90.
- Zhu, D., et al. 2008. Improving solid waste management in India – A sourcebook for policymakers and practitioners. World Bank Institute, WBI Development Studies, The World Bank.
- Gidde, M. R., V.V. Todkar and K.K. Kokate. 2008. Municipal solid waste management in emerging mega cities: A case study of Pune city. Indo Italian Conference on Green and clean environment proceeding, Pune.
- Rathi, S. 2007. Optimization model for integrated municipal solid waste management in Mumbai. Env. Develop. Economics. 12(1): 105–121.
- Syed, S. 2006. Solid and liquid waste management. Emirates J. Eng. Res., 11(2): 19-36.
- Rajkumar, N., T. Subramani and L. Elango. 2010. Groundwater contamination due to municipal solid waste disposal – A GIS based study in Erode city. Int. J. Env. Sci., 1(1): 39–55.
- Rachel, O. A., et al. 2009. Municipal solid waste management in developed and developing countries – Japan and Nigeria as case studies. Available at: http://www.geo.civil.ibaraki.ac.jp/komine/mypapers/JGSPaper/2009/ JGS2009(973) Rachel.pdf.
- Ogu, V.I. 2000. Private sector participation and municipal waste management in Benin city, Nigeria. Env. Urban. 12(2): 103-117.
- Jha, A.K., et al. 2011. Sustainable municipal solid waste management in low income group of cities: A review. Tropical Ecol., 52(1): 123-131.
- Heart, S. 2009. Electronic waste: An emerging issue in solid waste management in Australia. Int. J. Env. Waste Manage., 3(1/2): 120-134.
- Tchobanoglous, G. H. T. and S.A. Vigil. 1993. Integrated solid waste management: Engineering principles and management issues. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Krishna, V. and S. Chaurasia. 2017. Aspects of municipal solid waste management in Allahabad city: A questioner survey of the citizens. IOSR J. Env. Sci. Toxicol. Food Tech., 11(2) (1): 11-16.
- Ojha, V.K., V. Tripathi and V. Krishna. 2014. Role of rag pickers in solid waste management: A case study of Mirzapur, U.P. Int. J. Env. Tech. Manage., 17(2/3/4): 134-142.
- Rochman, C. M., et al. 2015. Anthropogenic debris in seafood: Plastic debris and fibers from textiles in fish and bivalves sold for human consumption. Sci. Reports. 5. DOI: 10.1038/srep14340.
- Marthanadan, K.V. 2007. Urbanization and municipal solid waste management. J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 2(6): 977-988.
- Chattopadhyay, S., A. Dutta and S. Ray. 2007. Sustainable municipal solid waste management for the city of Kolkata. International Conference on Civil engineering in the new millennium: Opportunities and challenges. Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur.
- Varanasi: About the city. Available at: Varanasi.nic.in.