IJEP 41(10): 1112-1119 : Vol. 41 Issue. 10 (October 2021)
1. SNS College of Technology, Department of Chemistry, Coimbatore – 641 035, Tamil Nadu, India
2. M. Kumarasamy College of Engineering, Department of Chemistry, Karur – 639 113, Tamil Nadu, India
3. Suguna College of Engineering, Department of Chemistry, Coimbatore – 641 014, Tamil Nadu, India
4. PSG Arts and Science College, Department of Chemistry, Coimbatore – 641 014, Tamil Nadu, India
Factorial experimental design technique (FED) was used to investigate the adsorption of hexavalent chromium ion [Cr(VI)] from wastewater onto Cucumis melo peel activated carbon (CMAC). The structural and morphological features of activated carbon are characterized by FTIR and SEM studies. Physico-chemical characteristics and adsorption efficiency of CMAC of the wastewater are also being determined. Batch experiments are carried out for the adsorption of metal ion onto CMAC by the parameters, such as pH (3-9), adsorbent dosage (50-250 mg), concentration of metal ions (100-400 mg/L) of the adsorption capacity. The factorial design (23) is used for the interactions between three process parameters for the adsorption of metal ion is evaluated. The results of adsorption are subjected to statistical analysis by using the t-test, ANOVA, F-test which confirms the fitness of adsorption. To optimize and to know the maximum efficiency, the experimental data are used to obtain the normal probability plots, main effect; interaction plots, Pareto charts and contour plots by using design of experiment software with revelation of the best fitness. The results revealed that CMAC as a potential adsorbent for the adsorption of heavy metal ion [Cr(VI)].
Cucumis melo peel activated carbon, adsorption capacity, Factorial design
- Arris, S. and M. B. Lehocine. 2014. Removal of hexavalent chromium from industrial wastewater by cereal byproduct. International Renewable Energy Congress (IREC). Proceedings, pp 2.
- Venkateswarlu, P., et al. 2017 Removal of chromium from an aqueous solution using Azadirachta indica (neem) leaf powder as an adsorbent. Int. J. Physical Sci., 2(8): 188-195.
- APHA, AWWA, WPCF. 1985. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (16th edn). American Public Health Association, Washington D.C. pp 445- 456.
- Mattson, J.S. and H.B. Mark Jr. 1971. Activated carbon, surface chemistry and adsorption from solution. Marcel Dekker, New York.
- Ozbay, N., et al. 2013. Full factorial experimental design analysis of reactive dye removal by carbon adsorption. J. Chem. DOI: 10.1155/2013/234904.
- Lima, L.S., et al. 2011. Adsorption modeling of Cr, Cd and Cu on activated carbon of different origins by using fractional factorial design. Chem. Eng. J., 166: 881-889.
- Navidi, W. 2008. Statistics for engineers and scientist. McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., New York.
- Kavak, D. 2009. Removal of boron from aqueous solution by batch adsorption on calcined alunite using experimental design. J. Hazard. Mater., 163: 308-314.
- Uear, B., A. Guvenc and U. Mehmetoglu. 2011. Use of aluminium hydroxide sludge as adsorbent for the removal of reactive dyes: Equilibrium, thermodynamic and kinetic studies. Hydrol. Curr. Res., 2:1- 8.
- Singh, B.P., L. Besra and S. Bhattacharjee. 2002. Factorial design of experiments on the effect of surface charges on stability of aqueous colloidal ceramic suspension. Colloids Surfaces A Physic-ochem. Eng. Aspects. 204:175-181.
- Gottipati, R. and S. Mishra. 2010. Process optimi zation of adsorption of Cr (VI) on activated carbons prepared from plant precursors by a two-level full factorial design. Chem. Eng. J., 160: 99-107.
- Adinarayana, K., et al. 2003. Response surface methodological approach to optimize the nutritional parameters for neomycin production by Streptomyces marinensis under solid-state. Process Biochem., 38: 1565 -1572.
- Ghani, N.T., et al. 2009. Factorial experimental design for biosorption of iron and zinc using Typha domingensis phytomass. Desalination. 249:343-347.
- Geyikci, F. 2013. Factorial experimental design for adsorption silver ions from water onto montmorillonite. ACTA Geodyn Geomater., 10:363-370.
- Ponnusami, V., et al. 2007. Biosorption of reactive dye using acid-treated rice husk: Factorial design analysis. J. Hazard. Mater., 142: 397-403.
- Mathialagan, T. and T. Viraraghavan. 2005. Biosorption of pentachlorophenol by fungal biomass from aqueous solutions: A factorial design analysis. Env. Tech., 26:571-579.
- Annadurai, G., S. M. balan and T. Murugesan. 1999. Box-Behnken design in the development of optimized complexs medium for phenol degradation using Pseudomonas putida. Bioprocess Eng., 21: 415-421.