IJEP 41(10): 1133-1140 : Vol. 41 Issue. 10 (October 2021)
1. Symbiosis International (Deemed University) (SIU), Symbiosis Centre for Management Studies(SCMS), Pune – 411 014, Maharashtra, India
2. Symbiosis International (Deemed University) (SIU), Symbiosis Institute of Geoinformatics (SIG), Pune – 411 016, Maharashtra, India
Growing coastal tourism and undesired developmental planning along the Maharashtra coastline has been a serious concern lately. Coastal tourism along the Malvan coast, especially to the south of Malvan in Tarkarli and Devbag villages has picked up in the 21st century. Tarkarli and Devbag villages are the two different administrative units in the region which are originally the part of Tarkali-Devbag spit, a homogeneous geomorphic feature. However, with burgeoning tourism and an unsustainable vision, ecosystem services and their functions are being undesirably exploited on the spit. Karli creek, which forms the eastern boundary of this spit is being used for tourism for more than two decades and is in a dire need of a creek management strategy. To counter these issues, local panchayats need to have policies and action plans for sustainable beach tourism, groundwater management and coastal protection. Therefore, the authors, through their recent fieldwork in the study area which includes interviewing locals and authorities and taking field measurements, would like to share their knowledge and bring forward the serious points of concern; especially regarding the policy frameworks and action plans. They would also like to express their stand on how the corporate sector through public-private partnerships (PPP) can help in the sustainable development (SD) of the region.
Coastal tourism, Developmental planning, Ecosystem services and functions, Corporate sector, Public-private partnerships, Sustainable development
- Noronha, L. 2003. Intraduction and overview in coastal tourism, environment and sustainability local development. The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI). pp 1-27.
- Panda, G.K., S.B. Choudhary and A.K. Kanungo. 2011. Applications of remote sensing and GIS for coastal zone. Manage. ILEE. 30(2):7-16.
- Ramesh, D.A. and I.A.S. V. 2011. Methodology of integrated coastal zone management plan preparation-case study of Andaman Islands, India. J. Env. Prot., 2 : 750-760.
- Schaltegger, S. and U. Bestandig. 2012. Introduction in corporate biodiversity management handbook-A guide for practical implementation. Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU), Public Relations Divisions, Berlin, Germany.
- PwC. 2013. Handbook on corporate social responsibility. Price Water House, Coopers Pvt. Ltd.
- UNDP. 2013. Project document : Mainstreaming coastal and marine biodiversity conservation into production sectors in the Sindhudurg coast, Maharashtra, India. Avaiable at : https://www. in. undp.org/content /india/en/home/operations/projects/environment_and_energy/mainstreaming-coastal-and-marine-biodiversity-into-production-se.html.
- Pisolkar, Y.M. 2008. A geomorphic study of beach and creek erosion at Devbag, coastal Maharashtra. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Pune.
- Indian Express. 2019. Devendra Fadnavis, Suresh Prabhu set to inaugurate Chipi airport. 18th
- Pisolkar, Y.M. and N. Chaudhary. 2016. Tourism, transformations and change in livelihood pattern-Designing new approaches for integrated coastal zone management (ICZM) along Devbag coast, Coastal Maharashtra (India). Minor research project report. Symbiosis International (Deemed University).
- Chacko, H.E. 1997. Positioning a tourism destination to gain a competitive edge. Asia Pacific J. Tourism Res., 1(2):69-75.
- Karlekar, S.N. 2002. Problem of beach erosion at Devbag, West coast of India. In Recent advances in geomorphology, quaternary geology and environmental geosciences: Indian case studies. Ed S.K. Tandon and B. Thakur. Manisha Publication, New Delhi. pp 317-322.
- Admin, N. 2009. Konkan Saras inaugurated at CIDCO’s urban hatt. Available at : https://www. nmtv.tv/kon kan-saras-inaugurated-at-cidcos-urban-haat.
- Department of Agriculture, Government of India. 2017. Marketing strategy supplement (MSS), district Sindhudurg. Maharashtra Agricultural Comettiveness Project (MACP).
- MSME. 2012. Brief industrial profile of Sindhudurg district. Development Institute, Ministry of Micro and Medium Enterprises. Available at : http://demsme.gov.in/dips/state%20Profile%20 Sindhudurg. pdf.
- MCED. 2018. About Maharashtra Centre for Entrepreneurship Development. Available at : http://www. mced.in/pdf/About MCED.pdf.
- Science and Technology Park, P. Skill and entrepreneurship development. Available at : https://scitechpark. org. in/domains/skill-entrepreneurship-development.
- PTI. 2016. Asia’s biggest data centre to be setup in Sindhudurg of Maharashtra Government. Available at : https://www.financialexpress.com/industry/technology/asias-biggest-data-centre-to-be-setup-in-sindhudurg-of-Maharashtra-government/1272854/.