IJEP 41(10): 1141-1146 : Vol. 41 Issue. 10 (October 2021)
Guru Nanak Dev University, Aquatic Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, Amritsar-143 005, Punjab, India
Life on earth is chiefly dependent on water, hence the quality of water is a big concern for healthy life. Population explosion, urbanization and industrialization are affecting the water resources quite badly and it is important to assess this quality at regular intervals. The current study is focused on evaluation of water quality of the Ranjit Sagar dam reservoir using water quality index (WQI) and heavy metal pollution index (HPI) method. This provides a single numerical value from a diverse set of water quality parameters. Water quality index in the study period varied from 23.98-140.3 and heavy metal pollution index (HPI) varied between 212.99-822.33. The evaluation of variation among seasons and sites is interpreted by the application of one as well as two-way analysis of variance and paired t-test. The successful use of these indices for assessing ecosystem health is being proposed through the study.
Heavy metals, Ranjit Sagar, Water quality index, ANOVA, t-test
- Mandal, P., R. Upadhyay and A. Hasan. 2010. Seasonal and spatial variation of Yamuna river water quality in Delhi, India. Env. Monit. Assess., 170: 661-670.
- Brack, W., et al., 2017. Towards the review of the European Union water framework management of chemical contamination in European surface water resources. Sci. Total Env., 576: 720–737.
- Kar, D., et al., 2008. Assessment of heavy metal pollution in surface water. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 5: 119-124.
- Yogendra, K. and E.T. Puttaiah. 2008. Determination of water quality index and suitability of an urban water body in Shimoga town, Karnataka. The 12th World Lake Conference: Determination (Taal 2007). Proceedings, pp 342–346.
- Bhat, S.A. and A.K. Pandit. 2014. Surface water quality assessment of Wular lake, a Ramsar site in Kashmir Himalaya, using discriminant analysis and WQI. J. Ecosyst., 18. DOI:10.1155/2014/724728.
- Uluturhan, E. and F. Kucuksezgin. 2007. Heavy metal contaminants in Red Pandora (Pagellus erythrinus) tissues from the eastern Aegean sea, Turkey. Water Res., 41: 1185–1192.
- Shrestha, S. and F. Kazama. 2007. Assessment of surface water quality using multivariate statistical techniques: A case study of Fuji river basin. Env. Model. Softw., 22:464–475.
- Lermontov, A., et al. 2009. River quality analysis using fuzzy water quality index: Ribeira do Iguape river watershed. Brazilian Ecol. Indic., 9:1188–1197. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2009.02.006.
- Ionus, O. 2010. Water quality index – assessment method of the Motru river water quality (Oltenia, Romania). Geogr. Univ. DIN CRAIOVA Ser. Geogr., 13:74–83.
- Tripathi, M. and S.K. Singal. 2019. Use of principal component analysis for parameter selection for development of a novel water quality index: A case study of river Ganga, India. Ecol. Indic., 96: 430–436.
- Tyagi, S., et al. 2013. Water quality assessment in terms of water quality index. American J. Water Resour., 1:34–38.
- Brraich, O.S. and S.K. Saini. 2015. Water quality index of Ranjit Sagar wetland situated on the Ravi river of Indus river system. Int. J. Adv. Res., 3: 1498–1509.
- Xu, J.Y., et al. 2019. Ecological risk assessment and source analysis of heavy metals in surface sediments of rivers located in the hilly area of southern China. Zhongguo Huanjing Kexue/China Env. Sci., 39: 3420–3429.
- Bodrud-Doza, M., et al. 2016. Characterization of groundwater quality using water evaluation indices, multivariate statistics and geostatistics in central Bangladesh. Water Sci., 30: 19–40.
- Pejman, A.H., et al. 2009. Evaluation of spatial and seasonal variations in surface water quality using multivariate statistical techniques. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 6:467–476.
- Trivedi, R.K. and P.K. Goel. 1986. Chemical and biological methods for water pollution studies. Environmental Publications, Karad, India.
- APHA, AWWA, WEF. 2005. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (21st edn). American Public Health Association, Washington DC, USA.
- Sri Bala, G., et al. 2017. Water quality index: A tool for evaluation of surface water quality. Int. J. Civ. Eng. Tech., 8: 814–821.
- Bouslah, S., L. Djemili and L. Houichi. 2017. Water quality index assessment of Koudiat Medouar reservoir, northeast Algeria using weighted arithmetic index method. J. Water L. Develop., 35:221–228.
- Chauhan, A. and S. Singh. 2010. Evaluation of Ganga water for drinking purpose by water quality index at Rishikesh, Uttrakhand, India. Rep. Opin., 2: 53-61.
- Balan, I.N., P. M. Kumar and M. Shivakumar. 2012. An assessment of groundwater quality using water quality index in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. Chronicles Young Sci., 3: 146.
- Brown, R.M., et al. 1972. A water quality index – Crashing the psychological barrier. in Advances in water pollution research. pp 787–797. DOI : 10.1016/b978-0-08-017005-3.50067-0.
- Malvandi, H. 2017. Preliminary evaluation of heavy metal contamination in the Zarrin-Gol river sediments, Iran. Mar. Poll. Bull., 117: 547–553.
- Sheykhi, V. and F. Moore. 2012. Geochemical characterization of Kor river water quality, Fars Province, southwest Iran. Water Qual. Expo. Heal., 4: 25–38.
- Kumar, V., et al. 2018. Assessment of heavy-metal pollution in three different Indian water bodies by combination of multivariate analysis and water pollution indices. Hum. Ecol. Risk Assess., 26:1–16.
- Prasad, B. and J.M. Bose. 2001. Evaluation of the heavy metal pollution index for surface and spring water near a limestone mining area of the lower himalayas. Env. Geol., 41:183–188.
- Mohan, S., P. Nithila and S. J. Reddy. 1996. Estimation of heavy metals in drinking water and development of heavy metal pollution index. J. Env. Sci. Heal. – Part A Toxic/Hazard. Subst. Env. Eng., 31:283–289.
- Bordalo, A.A., R. Teixeira and W.J. Wiebe. 2006. A water quality index applied to an international shared river basin: The case of the Douro river. Env. Manage., 38:910–920.
- Kumar, A. and A. Dua. 2010. Water quality index for assessment of water quality of river Ravi at Madhopur (India). Glob. J. Env. Sci., 8:49–57.
- Edokpayi, J.N., et al. 2016. Assessment of trace metals contamination of surface water and sediment: A case study of Mvudi river, South Africa. Sustain., 8:1–13.
- Wu, B., et al. 2014. Sources of heavy metals in surface sediments and an ecological risk assessment from two adjacent plateau reservoirs. PLoS One. 9: 1–14.
- Brraich, O.S. and S. Jangu. 2015. Evaluation of water quality pollution indices for heavy metal contamination monitoring in the water of harike wetland (Ramsar site), India. Int. J. Sci. Res. Publ., 5: 1–6.
- Abdullah, E.J. 2013. Evaluation of surface water quality indices for heavy metals of Diyala river, Iraq. J. Nat. Sci. Res., 3:63–70.
- Bhardwaj, R., A. Gupta and J.K. Garg. 2017. Evaluation of heavy metal contamination using environmetrics and indexing approach for river Yamuna, Delhi stretch, India. Water Sci., 31: 52–66.