IJEP 41(10): 1152-1159 : Vol. 41 Issue. 10 (October 2021)
Himani*, Arpita Johri, Manidipa Roy and Sanjay Kr. Singh
ABES Engineering College, Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Ghaziabad – 201 009, U.P., India
One of the most important concerns of global economy and community health is air pollution. Real time monitoring of air quality is an important aspect. In conventional air quality monitoring systems, cost, data access and scalability are the roadblocks. In present days, researchers are working on the advanced technologies, such as wireless sensor network (WSN), internet of things (IoT) together with low-cost environmental sensors. This paper presents a broad review of air pollution monitoring systems (APMS) with protocols and aiding technologies alongwith comparison and performance assessment. In the end, objective is to realize future of APMS to make them more realistic and accurate.
Wireless sensor network, Internet of things, Air pollution monitoring systems, Air pollution, pollutants, Sensors
- MoE Protection. 2012. Technical regulation on ambient air quality index. Ministry of Environmental Protection, People’s Republic of China. Available at : http://kjs.mep.gov.on/hibhbz/bzwb/dqhjbh/jegfffbz/20/1203/W020 1204103327252-19541.pdf.
- USEPA. Air quality index (AQI). A guide to air qual ity and your health. Available at : www.airnow.gov/index. cfm?action-aqibasics.AQI.
- Yi, W.Y., et al. 2015. A survey of wireless sensor network based air pollution monitoring systems. Sensors. 15:31392-31427.
- Guha, S., et al. 2015. Urban air quality management–A review. Atmos. Poll. Res., 6:286-304.
- Toma, C., et al. 2019. IoT solution for smart cities : Pollution monitoring and the security challenges. Sensors. 19(15):3401.
- Firdhous, M. and P. Karunaratne. 2017. IoT enabled proactive indoor air quality monitoring system for sustainable health management. 2nd Internation Conference on Computing and communications technologies (ICCCT). IEEE Proceedings, pp 216-221.
- NSCEP. National Service Centre for Environmental Publications. Available at : nepis.cpa.gov/.
- WHO. 2005. Air quality guidelines. Word Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO. Ambient (outdoor) air quality and health. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Hejlova, V. and V. Vozenilek. 2013. Wireless sens- or network components for air pollution monitoring in the urban environment : Criteria and analysis for their selection. Wireless Sensor Network. 5(12):229-240.
- Kadri, A., et al. 2013. Wireless sensor network for real-time air pollution monitoring. International Conference on Communications, signal processing and their applications (ICCSPA). Proceedings, pp 1-5.
- Mansour, S., et al. 2014. Wireless sensor network-based air quality monitoring system. International Conference on Computing networking and communications (ICNC), Honolulu, USA. Proceedings, pp 545-550.
- Cestonaro, L.V., et al. 2017. Ozone generated by air purifier in low concentrations : Friend or foe? Env. Sci. Poll. Res. Int., 24:22673-22678.
- Khot, R. and V. Chitre. 2017. Survey on air pollution monitoring systems. International Conference on Innovations in information, embedded and communications systems (ICIIECS). IEEE Proceedings, pp 1-4.
- McCormack, M.C., et al. 2008. Common household activities are associated with elevated particulate matter concentrations in bedrooms of innercity Baltimore pre-school children. Env. Res., 106:148-155.
- Chen, F., et al. 2018. The effects of PM2.5on asthmatic and allergic diseases or symptoms in pre-school children of six Chinese cities, based on China, children, homes and health (CCHH) project. Env. Poll., 232:329-337.
- Fan, X.J., et al. 2017. Asthma symptoms among Chinese children : The role of ventilation and PM10exposure at school and home. Int. J. Tuberc. Lung Dis., 21:1187-1193.
- Wang, H., et al. 2010. Trends in vehicular emissions in China’s mega cities from 1995 to 2005. Env. Poll., 158:394-400.
- Spinelle, J., 2004. On the history of indoor air quality and health. Indoor Air. 7:51-58.
- Min, K.T., A. Forys and T. Schmid. 2014. Demonstration abstract : Airfeed : Indoor realt ime interactive air quality monitoring system. 13th International Symposium on Information processing in senser networks. IEEE Press Proceedings, pp 325-326.
- Paraschive, S., et al. 2017. OMI and ground-based in-situ tropospheric nitrogen dioxide observations over several important European cities during 2005-2014. Int. J. Env. Res. Public Health. 14(11):1415.
- Fioccola, G.B., et al. 2016. Pollution : An efficient cloud-based management of IoT devices for air quality monitoring. 2nd International Forum on Research and technologies for society and industry leveraging a better tomorrow (RTSI). IEEE Proceedings, pp 1-6.
- Swain, K.B., G. Santamanyu and A.R. Senapati. 2017. Smart industry pollution monitoring and controlling using LabVIEW based IoT. 3rd International Conference on Sensing, signal processing and security (ICSSS). IEEE Proceedings, pp 74-78.
- Spiru, P. and P. Lizica-Simona. 2017. A review on interactions between energy performance of the buildings, outdoor air pollution and the indoor air quality. Energy Procedia. 128:179-186.
- Beig, G., et al. 2020. Objective evaluation of stubble emission of north India quantifying its impact on air quality of Delhi. Sci. Total Env., 709.
- Beig, G. and S.K. Sahu. 2018. SAFAR – High resolution emission inventory of mega city Delhi-2018. MoES, New Delhi.
- CPCB. 2014. National air quality index report. Central Pollution Control Board, New Delhi, India.
- Kota, S.H., et al. 2018. Year-long simulation of gaseous and particulate air pollutants in India. Atmos. Env., 180:244-255.
- Sahu, S.K. and S.H. Kota. 2017. Significance PM2.5air quality at the Indian capital. Aerosol Air Qual. Res., 17:588-597.
- Guo, H., et al. 2019. Contributions of local and regional sources in PM2.5and its health effects in north India. Atmos. Env., 214.
- Bin Ismail, M.I.H. and N.M. Thamrin. 2017. IoT implementation for indoor vertical farming watering system. International Conference on Electrical, electronics and system engineering (ICEESE). IEEE Proceedings, pp 89-94.
- Arvind, D., et al. 2016. The AirSpeck family of static and mobile wireless air quality monitors. Euromicor Conference on Digital system design (OSD). IEEE Proceedings, pp 207-214.
- Choi, S., et al. 2009. Micro sensor mode for air pollutant monitoring : Hardware and software issues. Sensors. 9:7970-7987.
- Castell, N., et al. 2017. Can commercial low-cost sensor platforms contribute to air quality monitoring and exposure estimates? Env. Int., 99:293-302.
- Van dem Dam, R. 2013. The foundational infrastructure for a smarter planet. In Internet of things, smart spaces and next generation networking. Ed S. Balandin, S. Andreev and Y. Koucheryavy. Springer, Berlin/ Heidelberg, Germany. 8121:1-12.
- Zhou, Z., et al. 2017. Visual analytics for spatial clusters of air-quality data. IEEE Comput. Graph. Appl., 37(5):98-105.
- Rachana, M., et al. 2017. Design and deployment of sensor system–envirobat 2.1 and urban air quality monitoring system. International Conference on Electrical, electronics, communication, computer and optimization technique (ICEFCCOT). IEEE Proceeding, pp 412-415.
- Mckercher, G.R., J.A. Salmond and J.K. Vanos. 2017. Characteristics and applications of small, portable gaseous air pollution monitors. Env. Poll., 223:102-110.
- Arroyo, P., J. Lozano and J. Suarez. 2018. Evolution of wireless sensor network for air quality measurements. Electronics. 7(12): 342.
- Wu, Y., et al. 2019. Air quality monitoring for vulnerable groups in residential environments using a multiple hazard gas detector. Sensors. 19(2): 362.
- AQE Group. 2005. Methods for monitoring particulate concentrations, particulate matter in the United Kingdom. Department for the Environment, Food and Ruarl Affairs, London, U.K. pp 125-129.
- Lagerspetz, E., et al. 2019. Feasibility of low-cost sensors for pollution hot-spot detection. 17th Internation Conference on Industrial informatics (INDIN), Helsinki, Finland.
- Patel, S., et al. 2017. Spatio-temporal measurement of indoor particulate matter concentrations using a wireless network of low-cost sensors to households using solid fuels. Env. Res., 152:59-65.
- Artire, A., A. Marjovi and A. Martinoli. 2015. Model-based rendezvous calibration of mobile sensor networks for monitoring air quality. 2015 IEEE Sensors. Proceedings, pp 1-4.
- Maag, B., Z. Zhou and L. Thiele. 2018. A survey on sensor calibration in air pollution monitoring deployments. IEEE Internet Things J., 5:4857-4870.
- Erusin, I.M., B. Sugiarto and I. Sakti. 2009. Design of air quality monitoring system using wireless sensor network technology (WSN) in Indonesia : Rancang bangun system monitoring Udara Menggunakan technology wireless sensor network (WSN). J. Infor. Sistem Kendali Komputer. 3(1-2).
- Zein, S., N. Salleh and J. Grundy. 2016. A systematic mapping study of mobile application testing techniques. J. Systems Software. 117:334-356.
- Kunzli, N., et al. 2000. Public-health impact of outdoor and traffic-related air pollution : A European assessment. Lancet. 356:795-801.
- Adar, S.D., et al. 2013. Fine particulate air pollution and the progression of carotid intima-medical thickness: A prospective cohort study from the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis and air pollution. PLoS Med., 10.
- Brokamp, C., et al. 2017. Exposure assessment models for elemental components of particulate matter in an urban environment : A comparison of regression and random forest approaches. Atmos. Env., 15:1-11.
- Cavellin, I., et al. 2016. Investing the use of portable air pollution sensors to capture the spatial variability of traffic-related air pollution. Env. Sci. Tech., 50(1):313-320.
- Bart, M., et al. 2014. Density ozone : Monitoring using gas sensitive semi-conductor sensors in the lower Fraser Valley. British Columbia Env. Sci. Tech., 48(7):3970-3977.