IJEP 41(10): 1160-1165 : Vol. 41 Issue. 10 (October 2021)
Jagadeshan*, B. Dessalegn, A. Abel B. Gosaye and J. Muralitharan
Arba Minch University, Department of Geology, College of Natural Science, Arba Minch, Ethiopia
Electrical resistivity survey was carried out in Masgerdo river basin, Borena, southern Ethiopia, in order to assess the groundwater potential zones. Geologically, study area is underlain by volcanic basalt rocks, quaternary deposition and precambrian granitic basement rocks. 20 vertical electrical soundings were carried out with Schlumberger electrode configuration with current electrode spacing (AB/2) half ranging from 1-750 m. The measured apparent resistivity signals have been interpreted through curve matching technique using IX 1D software. The curves are prominently of QH, KH and HA type indicating the presence of 4 layers followed by a combination of curves QKA, KHK, KQH, QQH, QHK, QKK, HKH, QQQ and QHA indicating the presence of 5 sub-surface layers. Interpretations of resistivity data reveal the number of sub-surface layers, thickness and groundwater bearing capacity within the study area. The best layer which acts as the good groundwater aquifer of study area is the 3rd and 4th layer which consists of medium to highly weathered/fractured rock and unconsolidated sand formations at the depth between 4-20 m.
Schlumberger electrode, Curve matching, Masgerdo river, Aquifer, Groundwater
- Santos, F.A., et al. 2006. Joint inversion of gravity and geoelectrical data for groundwater and structural investigation: application to the northwestern part of Sinai, Egypt. Geophys. J. Int., 165: 705–718.
- Ekine, A.S. and Osobonye. 1996. Surface geoele-ctric sounding for the determination of aquifer characteristics in parts of Bonny local government area of river state. Nigeria J. Physics. 85: 93-97.
- Araffa, S.A.S. 2010. Geophysical investigation for shallow sub-surface geotechnical problems of Mokattam area, Cairo, Egypt. Env. Earth Sci., 59:1195-1207.
- Mohamaden, M.I. 2009. Groundwater exploration at Rafah, Sinai Peninsula, Egypt. Egypt. J. Aquat. Res., 35 (2): 49–68.
- Jeyavel, R.K., et al. 2016. Evaluation of groundwater potential zones using electrical resistivity response and lineament pattern in Uppodai sub- basin, Tambaraparani. J. Assoc. Expl. Geophys., 9: 71-78.
- Oyedele, K. and L. Ogagarue. 2011. Groundwater potential evaluation using surface geophysics at OruImope, south-western Nigeria. European J. Sci. Res., 63(4): 515-522.
- Alemayehu, T. 2006. Groundwater occurrences in Ethiopia. pp16-20.
- Ghosh, D.P. 1971. The application of linear filter theory to the direct interpretation of geoelectrical resistivity sounding measurements. Geophysical Prospect., 19(2): 192-217.
- Interpex Ltd. 2008. IX 1D v3 manual, 1-D DC resistivity, IP, MT and EM inversion software, Golden, Colorado, U.S.A.
- Muthuraj, D., Y. Srinivas and N. Chandrasekar. 2010. Delineation of groundwater potential areas- A case study from Tirunelveli district, Tamil Nadu, India. Int. J. Appl. Env. Sci., 5:23-34.
- Balakrishna, S. and K.R. Ramanujachari. 1979. Resistivity investigations in deccan trap regions. Geophys. Res. Bull., 16: 31-40.
- Yadav, G.S., P.N. Singh and K.M. Srivastava. 1997. Fast method of resistivity sounding for shallow groundwater investigations. J. Appl. Geophys., 37: 45-52.
- Rijkwaterstata. 1966. Standard graphs of resistivity prospecting. Published by European Association of Exploration Geophysicists, The Netherlands. pp 125-140.
- Orellana, E. and H.M. Mooney. 1966. Master tables and curves for vertical electrical sounding over layered structures. Interetencia, Madrid, Spain. pp 110-125.
- Balasubramanian, A., K.K. Sharma and J.C. Sastri. 1985. Geoelectrical and hydrogeochemical evaluation of coastal aquifers of Tambraparni basin, Tamil Nadu. Geophys. Res. Bull., 23: 203-209.