IJEP 41(10): 1182-1188 : Vol. 41 Issue. 10 (October 2021)
Govt. General Degree College, Keshiary – 721 135, West Bengal, India
Water pollution is one of the major challenges in front of human civilization. Scarcity of drinkable water is raising its highest peak. Observing the alarming situation, United Nations declared access to drinkable water as a fundamental right of every world citizen . This situation excels the research in water quality, water characterization and water treatment. Not only the anthropogenic sources are causing water pollution but also the natural sources are polluting water. Thus many of the lakes and seas are polluted by natural sources and thus does not provide drinkable water. Considering this, researchers are concentrated on characterizing the water quality, depending on its suitability to drink or dispose of to a certain source. Drinkable water standards are established based on human health requirements, whereas, effluent water standards are established based on the ecology of the water body on which the effluent waters are being discharged. This paper reports a review of the water quality indices (WQIs) developed by different researchers and their comparative evaluation for some case studies.
Water, Quality index, Effluent, Drinking, Pollution
- United Nation. 2010. Resolution adopted by General Assembly on A/RES/64/292.
- Worldometer. Real time world statistics. Available at : http://www.worldometers.info. 2020.
- UNEP. 2007. Global drinking water quality index development and sensitivity analysis report. United Nations Environment Programme (Global Environment Monitoring System/Water Programme). pp 1-60.
- Wikipedia. 2020. Bottled water. Available at : http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/bottled_water. 2020. The global bottled water market. beverage marketing corporation.
- ADRI. 2020. India water facts. Asian Development REsearch Institute, Bihar. Available at : https://www. adriindia.org/adri/india_water_facts. 2020.
- EIS. 2020. National status of wastewater generation and treatment. ENVIS Centre on Hygiene, Sanitation, Sewage treatment systems and technology. Available at : http://www.sulabhenvis.nic.in.
- The Environment (protection) rules. 1986. Schedule –II. Ministry of Environment, Forest, New Delhi.
- Brown, R. M., et al. 1970. A water quality index – Do we dare? Water Sewage Works. pp. 339–343.
- Brown, R.M., et al. 1972. A water quality index – Crossing the psychological barrier. International Conference on Water pollution research, Jerusalem. Proceedings, 6: 787-797.
- Dinius, S.H. 1987. Design of an index of water quality. Water Res. Bulletin. 23(5): 833–843.
- Smith, D. G. 1990. A better water quality indexing system for rivers and streams. Water Res. Bulletin. 24(10): 1237–1244.
- Stambuk-Giljanovic, N. 1999. Water quality evaluation by index in Dalmatia. Water Res. Bulletin. 33(16): 3423–3440.
- Alberto, W. D., et al. 2001. Pattern recognition techniques for the evaluation of spatial and temporal variations in water quality – A case study: Suquia river basin (Cordoba, Argentina). Water Res., 35(12): 2881–2894.
- Liou, S. M., S. L. Lo and S. H. Wang. 2004. A generalized water quality index for Taiwan. Env. Monit. Assess., 96: 35–52.
- Akter, T., et al. 2016. Water quality index for measuring drinking water quality in rural Bangladesh: a cross-sectional study. J. Health Population Nutrition. 35.
- Fdez-Vitora, V.C. 1995. In Methodological guide for environmental impact evaluation (2nd edn). Mundi-Prensa, Madrid.
- Pesce, S.F. and D.A. Wunderlin. 2000. Use of water quality indices to verify the impact of Cordoba city (Argentina) on Suquia river. Water Res., 34: 2915-2926.
- CCME. 2001. Canadian water quality guidelines for the protection of aquatic life: Water quality index 1.0 (user manual). In Canadian environmental quality guidelines, 1999. Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Sargaonkar, A. and V. Deshpande. 2003. Development of an overall index of pollution for surface water based on a general classification scheme in Indian context. Env. Monit. Assess., 89: 43-67
- IS 10500. 1983. Drinking water – Specification. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Vijayan, G., et. al. 2016. Wastewater quality in dex – A tool for categorization of the wastewater and its influence on the performance of sequencing batch reactor. Int. J. Env. Eng. Manage., 7 (1) : 69-88.
- Tyagi, S., et al. 2013. Water quality assessment in terms of water quality index. American J. Water Resour., 1 (3): 34-38
- Bishnoi, M. 2014. Mine water analysis. Postgraduate dissertation, IIT Kharagpur. pp 1- 40.
- APHA, AWWA, WEF. 2012. Standard methods for examination of water and wastewater (22nd edn). American Public Health Association, USA.