IJEP 41(12): 1372-1379 : Vol. 41 Issue. 12 (December 2021)
Nisha Gupta and Manisha Agrawal*
Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekananda Technical University, Rungta College of Engineering and Technology, Department of Applied Chemistry, Bhilai, Chhattisgarh, India
The present study deals with germination and seedling growth of seed in various proportions by mixing of municipal solid waste (MSW) of two dumpsites Kundrapara and Potiya, in the sand, as replacement of fertilizer. Five combinations were established based on the addition of increasing quantities of sand to the MSW ratio 100:0 (K1, P1), 75:25 (K2, P2), 50:50 (K3, P3), 25:75 (K4, P4) and 0:100 (K5, P5). A pot experiment was conducted to determine the effect of MSW on the germination and growth of bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) seed, in which K1, P1 treatment was control treatment. Physical properties, presence of micronutrients (Zn, Fe, Cu and Mn) and macronutrients (N, P, K, Ca and Mg) and FTIR analysis of MSW of both dumpsites were determined and compared. Percentage of germination, vigor index, shoot length, roots length, stem diameter, number of leaves and wet biomass were measured as germination parameters. Biochemical parameters, antioxidant activity, carbohydrate, protein and lipid content per plant were determined and subjected to statistical analysis, ANOVA for £ 0.05 at a 95% confidence level. The best results were obtained in which bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) seeds were grown in a mixture of sand and MSW. The treatment 50:50 (P3) municipal solid waste of P2 (MSW2) and 0:100 (K5) of municipal solid waste K1 (MSW1) treatments had the best result than the control treatment. Simultaneously, the FTIR spectra of MSW1 and MSW2 confirmed the presence of humic acid as a plant nutrient. Thus MSW may have the potential to enhance the quality of the sand and to increase the fertility of mixture. MSW may be recognized as a substitute for fertilizer to increase nutrient content and enhance crop production.
FTIR, municipal solid waste, Germination, Nutrient, antioxidant, humic acid
- Karak, T., R.M. Bhagat and P. Bhattacharya. 2012. Municipal solid waste generation, composition and management : The world scenario. Critical Reviews Env. Sci. Tech., 42(15):1509-1630.
- Chouaki, M.S., et al. 2019. A study of the impact of municipal solid waste on some soil physico-chemical properties : The case of the landfill of Ain-El-Hammam Municipality, Algeria. Appl. Env. Soil. Sci. DOI: 10.1155/2019/3560456.
- Ogundele, O.M., O.M. Rapheal and A.M. Abiodum. 2018. Effects of municipal waste disposal methods on community health in Ibadan, Nigeria. Polytechnica. 1:61-72.
- Abdel-Shafya, H.I. and M.S.M. Mansour. 2018. Solid waste issue : Sources, composition, disposal, recycling and valorization. Egyptian J. Petroleum. 27(4):1275-1290.
- Gokcekus, H., Y. Kassem and M.K. Musa. 2020. Environmental impact of a municipal solid waste landfill in north of Iraq. Int. J. Innovative Tech. Exploring Eng., 9(3):756-763.
- Hoang, N.H. and C. Fogarassy. 2020. Sustainability evaluation of municipal solid waste mangement system for Hanoi (Vietnam)-why to choose the waste to energy cocept. Sustain., 12 (1085) : 1-20.
- Rana, R., R. Ganguly and A.K. Gupta. 2018. Physico-chemical characterization of solid waste management from the tricity region of northern India. Mater. Cycl. Waste Manage., 20(1):678-689.
- Almendro-Candel, M.B., et al. 2019. The use of composted municipal solid waste under the concept of a circular economy and as a source of plant nutrients and pollutants. IntechOpen. DOI: 10.5772 /intechopen.83386.
- Mowa, E., et al. 2017. The influence of organic manure formulated from goat manure on growth and the yield of tomato (Lycopersicum esculentum). African J. Agric. Res., 12 (4) : 3061-3067.
- Srivastava, V., et al. 2020. An insight into municipal solid waste management to Varanasi city, India and appraisal of vermicomposting as its efficient managent approach. Env. Monit. Assess., 192:191-196.
- Buekseth, T., et al. 2020. A novel sustainable aeroponic system for healthy seed potato production in India-An update. Indian J. Agric. Sci., 90 (2):243-248.
- Haghighi, M., M.R. Barzegar and J.A.T. De Silva. 2016. The effect of municipal solid waste compost, peat, perlite and vermicopost on tomato (Cycopersicum esculentum L.) growth and yield in a hydroponic system. Int. J. Recycle Organic Waste Agric., 5:231-242.
- Cesaro, A. and A. Conte. 2019. The evolution of compost stability and maturity during the full-scale treatment of the organic fraction of municipal solid waste. J. Env. Manage., 232:264-270.
- Dominguez, M., et al. 2019. Physico-chemical and biochemical properties of an acid soil under potato culture amended with municipal solid waste compost. Int. J. Recycling Organic Waste Agric., 8:171-178.
- Sharma, A., R. Gangly and A.K. Gupta. 2019. Spectral characterization and quality assessment of organic compost for agricultural purposes. Int. J. Recycling Organic Waste Agric., 8:197-213.
- Zhang, M. and W. Wang. 2018. Effect of nitrification inhibitor and herbicides on nitrification, nitrite and nitrate consumptions and nitrous oxide emission in an Australian sugarcane soil. Biol. Fertility Soil. 54(6):1-10.
- Ssekandi, W., et al. 2016. The use of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) traditional varieties and their mixtures with commercial varieites to manage bean fly (Ophiomyia spp.) infestations in Uganda. J. Pest Sci., 89:45-57.
- Norma, A., et al. 2017. Common bean : A legume model on the rise for unraveling responses and adaptations to iron, zinc and phosphate deficiencies. Frontiers Plant Sci., 7(26):1-6.
- Wolka, K. and B. Melakee. 2015. Exploring selected plant nutrients in compost prepared from food waste and cattle manure and its effect on soil properties and maize yield at Wondo Genet, Ethiopia. Env. Systems Res., 4(1):1-7.
- Gupta, N. and M. Agarwal. 2014. Influence of municipal solid waste compost on germination and seedling growth of dicotylidon seeds. American Int. J. Res. Formal Appl. Natural Sci., 1(8):51-56.
- Gupta, N. and M. Agarwal. 2014. Improvement of soild physical and chemical properties with municipal solid waste compost application in soyabean (Glycine max), mung (Vignaradiate), lentil (Lens culinaris) seeds. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Tech., 3(12):1418-1423.
- Mansour-Far, C., et al. 2015. Antioxidant enzyme activity and germination characteristics of different maize hybrid seeds during againg. Env. Exp. Biol., 13:177-182.
- Iqbal, M.K. 2018. Composting of municipal solid waste and its use as fertilizer. In Soil productivity enhancement (chapter 3). Intech Open. pp 35-55.
- Asgharipour, M.R. and M. Armin. 2010. Growth and elemental accumulation of tomato seedlings grown in composted solid waste soil amended. American-Eurasian J. Sustain. Agric., 4(1):94-101.
- Rastogi, M. and M. Nandal. 2018. Composting an emerging technology for solid waste management in India. In Handbook of research on microbial tools for environmental waste management. IGI Global. pp 105-126.
- Rastogi, M., M. Nandal and L. Nain. 2019. The additive effect of cow dung slurry and cellulolytic bacterial inoculation on humic fraction during composting of MSW. Int. J. Recycling Organic Waste Agric., 8:171-178.
- Paradelo, R. and M.T. Barral. 2017. Availability and fractionation of Cu, Pb and Zn in an acid soil from Galicia (NW Spain) amended with municipal solid waste compost. Spanish J. Soil Sci., 7:17-25.
- Paradelo, R., A. Villada and M.T. Barral. 2018. Chemical fractionation of trace elements in a metal-rich amphibolities soil amended with municipal solid waste compost. Waste Biomass Valor. 9:1935-1943.
- Kaur, J., S.K. Gosal and S.S. Walia. 2020. Effect of green manure and plant density on the correlation between rhizospheric biochemical properties and rice (Oryza sativa) yield. Indian J. Agric. Sci., 90(2):287-291.
- Coates, J. 2006. Interpretation of infrared spectra : A practical approach. In Encylopedia of analytical chemistry. Ed R.A. meyers. John Willey and Sons Ltd. pp 10815-10837.
- Gupta, N. and M. Agrawal. 2020. Application of municipal solid waste as a soil nutrients booster humic acid and its analysis through FTIR and GC-MS. Int. J. Emerging Tech., 11(2):396-404.
- Manohara, B., S.L., Belagali and S. Ragothama. 2017. Study of decomposition pattern during aerobic composting of MSW by physico-chemical and spectroscopic method. Int. J. Chem. Tech. Res., 10:27-34.