IJEP 41(12): 1418-1427 : Vol. 41 Issue. 12 (December 2021)
1. Wolaita Sodo University, Department of Plant Sciences, College of Agriculture, Ethiopia, East Africa
2. Wolaita Sodo University, Department of Rural Development and Agricultural Extension, College of Agricul-ture, Ethiopia, East Africa
Phosphorus (P) adsorption, in soils is a key cycle overseeing its accessibility for crops, characteristics were determined in four soils in Wolaita of Southern Ethiopia. 3 g of soil was equilibrated in 30 mL of 0.01 M CaCl2 containing KH2PO4 in 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 mg P/L. Kinetic models, like Langmuir, Freundlich, Temkin and Van Hauy were applied on four soils; kinetic parameters (b, Kf, a and m) showed values 0.36-1.53, 147.91- 851.13, 2.29-3.48, 0.11-0.16 mg/kg for selected soils. In soils 1, 3 and 4 Van Hauy model demonstrated predominance over different models, while in soils 2 and 3 Freundlich model demonstrated better results. Notwithstanding, in soil 2 both Freundlich and Temkin models showed results within standard. Langmuir models was found better in soil 4 (r2=0.92) followed by soil 2 (r2=0.88) aside from b and EPRF (r2=1.000** and 0.96**). The EPR (0.2 mg/L) was altogether related to kinetic model (r2=1.00***) that supports the way energy coefficient of soil is a significant file for arranging phosphorous the board techniques. Among the four soils, to keep up ideal phosphorous fixation in soil for crop development, Wolaita soil need more phosphorous manure.
Acidic soil, adsorption isotherm models, Soil properties, Standard phosphorous requirement
- Morris, M., et al. 2000. Transfer of phosphate ions between soil and solution: Perspectives in soil testing. J. Env. Qual., 29:50-59.
- Elser, J.J., et al. 2014. Regime shift in fertilizer commodities indicates more turbulance ahead for food security. Plos One. 9(6):93998.
- Asmare, M., et al. 2015. Phosphorus status, inorganic phosphorus forms and other physico-chemical properties of arid soils of Farta district, northwestern highlands of Ethiopia. Appl. Env. Soil. DOI: 10.1155/2015/74839.
- Bereket, A., et al. 2018. Phosphorus status and adsorption characteristics of acid soils from Cheha and Dinsho districts, southern highlands of Ethiopia. Env. Syst. Res., 7(17):625-629.
- Sarvajayakesavalu, S., et al. 2018. Phosphorus recovery: A need for an integrated approach. Ecosys. Health Sustainability. 4(2)48-57.
- Chaudhry, E. H., et al. 2003. Phosphorus requirement of maize in relation to soil characteristics. Int. J. Agric. Biol., 5(4):625-629.
- Zhang, H., et al. 2005. Path and multiple regression analyses of phosphorus sorption capacity. Soil. Sci. Soc. America J., 69:96-106.
- Moazed, H., et al. 2010. Determing phosphorus adsorption isotherm in soil and its relation to soil characteristics. J. Agric. Env., 8(2):1153-1157.
- Muindi, E.M., et al. 2015. Phosphorus adsorption and its relation with soil properties in acid soils of Western Kenya. Int. J. Plant Soil Sci., 4:203-211.
- Mamo, T. and I. Haque. 1987. Phosphorus status of some Ethiopian soils-I. Sorption characteristics. Plant Soil. 102(2):261-266.
- Birru, Y., G. Heluf and V.P. Gupta. 2003. Sorption characteristics of soils of the north-western highlands of Ethiopia. Ethiopia J. Nat. Resour., 5:1-16.
- Zinabu, W., W. Wassie and S. Dhyna. 2015. Phosphorus sorption characteristics and external phosphorus requirement of Bulle and Wonago Woreda, Southern Ethiopia. Adv. Crop Sci. Tech., 3:2.
- NMA. 2017. National Meteorological Agency, Hawassa meteorological Service center, Ethiopia.
- Tesfaye, B. 2003. Understanding farmers. Wageningen University and Research Center, Wageningen.
- Bibiso, M., et al. 2015. Evaluation of universal extractants for determination of some macronu trients from soil. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Analysis. 46(19):2425-2448.
- CSA. 2017. Agricultural sample survey : Area a and production of major crops, Meher season. Central statistical Agency, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Sertsu, S. and T. Bekele. 2000. Procedures for soil and plant analysis. Technical paper 74. National Soil Research Center, Ethiopian Agricultural Research Organization, Addis Ababa, Ehtiopia.
- Bouyoucus, G.J. 1962. Hydrometer method improved for making particle size analysis of soils. J. Agron., 54:464.
- Jackson, M.L. 1973. Soil chemical analysis. Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India.
- Walkley, A. and C.A. Black. 1934. An examination of the degrjareft method of determine soil organic matter and a proposed modification of the chromic acid titration method. Soil Sci., 37:29-38.
- Bray, H.R. and L.T. Kurtz. 1945. Determination of organic and available forms of phosphorus in soils. Soil Sci., 9:39-46.
- Black, C.A. 1965. Methods of soil analysis (part II). American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
- Pansu, M., J. Gautheyrou and J.Y. Loyer. 2001. Soil analysis sampling instrumentation and quality control. Balkema Publishers, Lisse, Abingdon, Exton, Tokyo.
- Lindysay, W.L. and W.A. Norvell. 1978. Development of a DTPA soil test for zinc, iron, manganese and copper. Soil Sci. Soc. America J., 42:421-248.
- Watanabe and Olsen. 1965. Test of an ascorbic acid method for determining phosphorus in water and NaHCO3extracts from soil. Soil Sci. Soc. America Proc., 29:677-678.
- Fox, R.L. and E.J. Kamprath. 1970. Phosphate sorption isotherms for evaluating the phosphate requirements of soils. Soil Sci. Soc. America Proc., 34: 902-907.
- Ehlert, P., et al. 2003. Potential role of phosphate buffering capacity of soils in fertilizer management strategies fitted to environmental goals. J. Plant Nutr. Soil Sci., 166 (4):409-415.
- Morel, C., et al. 2000. Transfer of phosphate ions between soil and solution : Perspectives in soil testing. J. Env. Qual., 29:50-59.
- Jones, J.B. 2003. Agronomic handbook. Management of crops, soils and their fertility. CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton.
- Landon, J.R. 1991. Booker tropical soil manual: A handbook for soil survey and agricultural land evaluation in the tropics and subtropics. Logman Scientific and Technical, Essex, New York.
- Kassa, M., W. Haile and F. Kebede. 2019. Evaluation of adsorption isotherm models for potassium adsorption under diffferent soil types in Wolaita of Southern Ethiopia. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Analysis. 50(2): 1532-2416.
- Gebreselassie, Y. 2002. Selected chemical and physical characteristics of soils at Adet research centre and its testing sites in north-western Ethiopia. Ethiopian J. Natural Resour., 4: 199-215.
- Hazelton, P. and B. Murphy. 2007. Interpreting soil test results: what do all the numbers mean? (2nd edn). CSIRO Publishing.
- Al Baquy, M.A., et al. 2017. Determination of critical pH and Al concentration of acidic ultisoils for wheat and canola crops. Solid Earth. 8:149-159.
- Benton, J. 2003. Agronomic handbook: Management of crop, soils and fertility. CRS Press, New York.
- Aref, F. 2011. Influence of zinc and boron nutrition on copper, manganese and iron concentrations in maize leaf. Australian J. Basic Appl. Sci., 5(7):52-62.
- Ethio SIS. 2014. Soil fertility status and fertilizer recommendation atlas for Tigray regional state, Ethiopia. Ethiopia Soil Information System, Addis Ababa.
- Mekonnen, M. 2014. Fertility mapping of soils in Cheha Woreda, Gurage zone, Southern Ethiopia. M.Sc. Thesis. Haramaya University, Ethiopia.
- Siradz, S.A. 2008. Phosphorus sorption characteristics red soils from Lanpung, west and central Java. J. Tanah Tropics. 14:25-31.
- Obura, P.A. 2008. Effects of soil properties on the bioavailability of aluminium and phosphorus in selected Kenyan and Brazilian soils. Ph.D. Thesis. Purdue University, Indiana.
- Khan, M.S., et al. 2010. Plant growth promotion by phosphate solubilizing fungicurrent perspective. Arch. Agron. Soil Sci., 56:73-98.
- Sanyal, S.K. and S.K. De Dutta. 1991. Chemistry of phosphorus transformation in soil. Adv. Soil Sci., 16:1-120.
- Wang, Y., et al. 2009. Adsorption of phosphorus on sediments from the three-Gorges reservoir (China) and the relation with sediment compositions. J. Hazard. Mater., 162:92-98.
- Yan, J.L., et al. 2016. Preliminary investigation of phosphorus adsorption onto two types of iron oxide-organic matter complexes. J. Env. Sci. China. 42:152-162.
- Afif, E., A. Matar and J. Torrent. 1993. Availabil ity of phosphate applied to calcareous soils of West Asia and North Africa. Soil Sci. Soc. America J., 57:756-760.
- Abekoe, M.K. and K.L. Sahrawat. 2001. Phosphate retention and extractability in soils of the humid zone in West Africa. Geoderma., 102:175-187.
- Daly, K., D. Jeffrey and H. Tunney. 2001. The effect of soil type on phosphorus sorption capacity and desorption dynamics in Jrish grassland soils. Soil use manage., 17:12-20.