IJEP 41(2): 154-164 : Vol. 41 Issue. 2 (February 2021)
1. Government College of Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, Thanjavur – 613 001, Tamil Nadu, India
2. University College of Engineering, Department Civil Engineering, Pattukkottai, Rajamadam – 614 701, Tamil Nadu, India
2. Gautam Buddha University, Department of Environmental Science, School of Vocational Studies and Applied Sciences, Gautam Buddh Nagar – 201 312, U.P., India
The bench-scale experimental study aims in accelerating the vermicomposting process by modifying the conventional vermicomposting into engineered vermicomposting. The acceleration was done by enhancing the vermi environment and encourage the worms to participate actively in the digestion process. The engineered process composes of pre-processing the waste and augmenting air artificially with airflow rate of 0.62 L/min in the Vermibin. The aeration was done in vertically elevated Vermibin with five different airflow durations (2 hr, 4 hr, 6 hr, 8 hr and 10 hr) by naming the bin as A1, A2, A3, A4 and A5, respectively. The optimum airflow duration was identified based on the substrate volume reduction and biomass growth in the Vermibin. In parallel, the nutrient status of vermicast also assessed, in order to characterize the vermicast generated in the reactors. Results reveal that 4 hr aeration with airflow rate of 0.67 L/min performance better and provide suitable environment for vermicomposting process.
Vermicomposting, Engineered vermicomposting, Biomass growth, artificial aeration
- Suthar, S. 2008. Bioremediation of aerobically treated distillery sludge mixed with cow dung by using an epigeic earthworm Eisenia fetida. Environmentalist. 28:76-84.
- Kaur, A., et al. 2010. Cocomposting with and without Eisenia fetida for conversion of toxic paper mill sludge to a soil conditioner. Bioresour. Tech., 101:8192-8198.
- Sonowal, P., M. Khwairakpam and A.S. Kalamdhad. 2013. Stability analysis of dewatered sludge of pulp and paper mill during vermicomposting. Waste Biomass Valorization. 5:19-26.
- Raphael, K. and K. Velmourougane. 2010. Chemical and microbiological changes during vermicom-posting of coffee pulp using exotic (Eudrilu eugeniae) and native earthworm (Perionyx ceylanesis) species. Biodegradation. 10:9442-9444.
- Suthar, S. 2009. Pilot-scale vermireactors for sewage sludge stabilization and metal. Ecol. Eng., 36:703-712.
- Vig, A. P., et al. 2011. Vermicomposting of tannery sludge mixed with cattle dung into valuable manure using earthworm Eisenia fetida (Savigny). Bioresour. Tech., 102:7941-7945.
- Mishra, K., K. Singh and C.P.M. Tripathi. 2014. Management of municipal solid wastes and production of liquid biofertilizer through vermic activity of epigeic earthworm Eisenia fetida. Int. J. Recycling Organic Waste Agric., 3(56):1-7.
- Suthar, S., P.K. Mutiyar and S. Singh. 2012. Vermi-composting of milk processing industry sludge spiked with plant wastes. Bioresour. Tech., 116: 214-219.
- Bhat, S. A., J. Singh and A. P. Vig. 2018. Potential utilization of bagasse as feed material for earthworm Eisenia fetida and production of vermi-compost. National Institutes Health Library Medicine. 4(11):1-9.
- Xie, D., et al. 2016. Vermicomposting of sludge from animal wastewater treatment plant mixed with cow dung or swine manure using Eisenia fetida. Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 23:7767-7775.
- Palsania, J., et al. 2001. Effect of moisture content variation over kinetic reaction rate during vermicomposting process. Appl. Ecol. Env. Res., 6(2):49-61.
- Dominguez-Crespo, m. A., et al. 2012. Effect of the heavy metals Cu, Ni, Cd and Zn on the growth and reproduction of epigeic earthworms (E. fetida) during the vermistabilization of municipal sewage sludge. Water Air Soil Poll., 223:915-931.
- Garg, V.K. and R. Gupta. 2011. Effect of temperature variations on vermicomposting of household solid waste and fecundity of Eisenia fetida. Bioremediation J., 15(3):165-172.
- Ravindran, B. and P.N.S. Mnkenil. 2016. Bio-optimization of the carbon-to-nitrogen ration for efficient vermicomposting of chicken manure and waste paper using Eisenia fetida. Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 23:16965-16976.
- Ndegwa, P.M., S.A. Thompson and K.C. Das. 2000. Effects of stocking density and feeding rate on vermicomposting of biosolids. Bioresour. Tech., 71: 5-12.
- Khwairakpam, M. and A. S. Kalamdhad. 2011. Vermicomposting of vegetable wastes amended with cattle manure. Res. J. Chem. Sci., 1(8): 49-56.
- Mohan, S. M. 2014. Biodegradation of garden waste, market waste using Eisenia fetida and Eudrilus eugenia and assessment of manure quality on tomato. J. Institutions Eng. (India) : Series A. 95(2):75-82.
- Huang, K., et al. 2017. Optimal growth condition of earthworms and their vermicompost features during recyling of five different fresh fruit and vegetable wastes. Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 23:13569-13575.
- Varma, S. and A. S. Kalamdhad. 2016. Efficiency of rotary drum composting for stabilizing vegetable waste during pre-composting and vermicomp-osting. J. Env. Processes. 1-13.
- Nelson, D.W. and L.E. Sammers. 1983. Total carbon, organic carbon and organic matter. In Methods of soil analysis. Part 2 chemical and microbiological properties (2nd edn). Ed A.L. Page. DOI: 10.2134/ agrenmonegr9.2.2ed.c29.
- Bremmer, J.M. 1996. Nitrogen-total. In Methods of soil analysis. Part 3 chemical methods. Ed D.L. Sparks, et al. DOI: 10.2136/sssabookser5.3.c37.
- Presley, M.L., T.C. McElroy and W.J. Diehl. 1996. Soil moisture and temperature interact to affect growth, survivorship, fecundity and fitness in the earthworm Eisenia fetida. Comparative Biochem. Physiol., 114:319-326.
- Karthikeyan, V., G.L. Sathyamoorthy and R. Murugesan. 2007. Vermicomposting of market waste in Salem, Tamil Nadu, India. Proceedings of International conference on sustainable solid waste management. pp 276-281.
- Reineke, A.J. and J.M. Venter. 1987. Moisture preferences, growth and reproduction of the compost worm Eisenia fetida (Oligochaeta). Biol. Fertility Soil. 3:135-141.
- Muthukumaravel, K., A. Amsath and M. Sukumaran. 2010. Vermicomposting of vegetable wastes using cow dung. European J. Chem., 5:1-4.
- Chatterjee, R., S. Bandyopadhyay and J.C. Jana. 2014. Evaluation of vegetable wastes recycled for vermicomposting and its response on yield and quality of carrot (Daucus carota L.). Int. J. Recycling Organic Waste Agric., 3(60):1-7.
- Livia, B. F. P., et al. 2016. Chemical study of vermicomposted agroindustrial wastes. Int. J. Recycling of Organic Waste in Agri., 5:55-63.