IJEP 41(2): 224-228 : Vol. 41 Issue. 2 (February 2021)
1. Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai, India
2. ICAR-National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources, Lucknow, India
Agriculture is nearly a $3 trillion industry and the issues, like increasing population trend, climate change, area reduction in cultivation, food security have propelled agriculturists for searching for innovative approaches to protect and improve crop yield in order to mitigate poverty and hunger. The interventions of artificial intelligence (AI) and its increasing applications have transformed the whole agriculture into soft computing agriculture, which has opened the prospects of yielding healthier crops, control pests, monitor soil and growing conditions, organize data for farmers, assist in the workload and improve a wide range of agriculture-related tasks in the entire food supply chain. Currently, applications of artificial intelligence are becoming policy issues as it provides an understanding of current and emerging trends in agriculture to the business leaders and now playing an imperative role in cutting the agriculture cost with guaranteed efficiency. The present article provides glimpses on the role and application of AI in agriculture with special reference to crop science.
Agriculture, Artificial intelligence, Crop, Soft computing agriculture
- http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/wsfs/docs/expert_paper/How_to_Feed_the_World_ in_2050.pdf.
- http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/wsfs/docs/Issues_papers/HLEF2050_Global_ Agriculture.pdf.
- Jha, K., et al. 2019. A comprehensive review on automation in agriculture using artificial intelligence. Artificial Intelligence in Agriculture.
- Turing, I. B. A. 1950. Computing machinery and intelligence-AM Turing. Mind., 59(236):433.
- Norvig, P. and S. Russell. 2009. Artificial intelligence: A modern approach (3rd edn). Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River.
- Patrício, D. I. and R. Rieder. 2018. Computer vision and artificial intelligence in precision agriculture for grain crops: A systematic review. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 153:69-81.
- Dhawan, V. 2017. Water and agriculture in India. Background paper for the South Asia expert panel during the Global Forum for Food and Agriculture (GFFA) 2017. German Asia Pacific Business Association, German Agriculture Alliance and Teri.