IJEP 41(2): 236-240 : Vol. 41 Issue. 2 (February 2021)
Ayya Nadar Janaki Ammal College (Autonomous), Post Graduate and Research Department of Zoology, Sivakasi – 626 124, Tamil Nadu, India
Physico-chemical parameters and plankton diversity have been carried out in Muthanathi pond for a period of 6 months from October 2016 to March 2017. The water temperature of the pond during study period ranged from 22 – 25°C. The pH of the pond ranged from 6.7-10.8 and showed alkaline condition throughout study period. The alkalinity of the pond ranged from 36-87 mg/L. The hardness was ranged from 35-46 mg/L. Dissolved oxygen of the pond was ranged from 3.8-5.8 mg/L. A total of 18 species of zooplanktons, 9 species of Rotifers, 2 species of Cladocerans, 2 species of Copepods and 5 species of Ostrocods were recorded.
Plankton diversity, Physico-chemical parameters, Temperature, Alkalinity, Rotifers, Cladocerans
- Hiware, C.J. and B.V. Jadhav. 2001. Biological studies of Manjira river near Kalam, district Osmanabad (M.S.). J. Aqua. Biol., 16(2):11-33.
- Pulle, J.S. and A.M. Khan. 2001. Study of ionic composition of Isapur dam water, Maharashtra. J. Aqua. Biol., 6(2):33-37.
- Bagde, U.S. and A.K. Verma. 1985. Physico-chemical characteristics of water of J.N.U. Lake at New Delhi. Indian J. Ecol., 12:251-256.
- Altaff, K. 2004. A manual of zooplankton. University grants commission, New Delhi. pp 1-155.
- Pawar, S.K. and J.S. Pulle. 2005. Studies on physico-chemical parameters in Pethwadaj dam, Nanded district in Maharashtra. J. Aqua. Biol., 20: 123-128.
- APHA. 2012. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (22nd edn). American Public Health Association, Washington, DC.
- Ludwig, J.A. and J.F. Reynolds. 1988. Statistical ecology: A primer on methods and computing. Wiley-Interscience Publication, New York.
- Prasad, N.V. 2005. Community structure and faunal assemblages of zooplankton in an estuarine mangrove ecosystem. In Ecology of plankton. Ed A. Kumar. Daya Publication House, New Delhi. pp 30-40.
- Boyd, C.E. and C.S. Tucker. 1998. Pond aquaculture – water quality management. Kluwer Academic publisher, Springer-Verlag.
- Poongodi, R., et al. 2009. Population of zooplankton in relation to physico-chemical parameters
of a seasonal pond. Res. Env. Life Sci., 2(2):105-110.
- Narayan, R., K.K. Saxana and S. Chauhane. 2007. Liminological investigation of Texi temple pond in district Etawah (U.P). J. Env. Biol., 28(1): 155-157.
- Ravichandran, C., et al. 2002. Drinking water quality assessment in few selected pilgrim centers and tourist spots in Tamil Nadu. Indian J. Env. Prot., 22(2):129-136.
- Pejaver, M., V. Somani and G. Quadros. 2004. Physico- chemical parameters of two quarry lakes, near thane city, Maharashtra. J. Aqua. Biol., 19(1): 107-110.
- Nduka, J.K., O.E. Orisakwe and L.O. Ezenweke. 2008. Some physico-chemical parameters of potable water supply in warri, Niger delta area of Nigeria. Sci. Res. Essays. 3(11):547-551.
- Wetzel, R. 2001. Limnology: Lake and river ecosystems (3rd edn). Academic Press, U.S.
- Isaiarasu, L., P. Murugavel and N. Murugan. 2001. Biodiversity of zooplankton observed in a seasonal tropical pond near Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu. Ecol. Env. Conservation. 7(3):257-261.