IJEP 41(3): 278-281 : Vol. 41 Issue. 3 (March 2021)
Karpagam Academy of Higher Education, Department of Biotechnology, Eachanari, Coimbatore – 641 021, Tamil Nadu, India
In the present investigation, the iron oxide nanoparticles (TFeONPs) were produced by ferrous chloride and aqueous extract of Tridax procumbens. The properties of as-synthesized TFeONPs were assessed. Moreover, the toxicity effects of TFeONPs on oilseed crops (Sesamum indicum and Arachis hypogaea) were investigated. The toxicity effect of TFeONPs on the germination of seed and formation of root and shoot of oilseed crops was determined using different concentrations of TFeONPs. The results of characterization confirmed that the synthesized TFeONPs were spherical-shaped. The various concentrations of TFeONPs significantly enhanced seed germination and the length of root and shoot of S. indicum and A. hypogaea. The highest concentrations (0.4% and 0.5%) of TFeONPs inhibited seed-germination and shoot and root formation, while the lowest and optimal concentrations (0.1-0.5%) of TFeONPs induced positive effects on seed germination and the length of root and shoot. The lowest concentration of TFeONPs was able to promote plant growth without any toxicity to other plants and the environment.
Phytotoxicity, Iron oxide, Seed germination, Oilseed crops
- Parthasarathi, T., 2011. Phytotoxicity of nano-particles in agricultural crops. International Conference on green technology and environmental conservation (GTEC-2011). Proceedings, pp 51-60.
- Nedecky, B.R., et al. 2017. Nanoparticles based on essential metals and their phytotoxicity. J. Nanobiotech., 15(1): 33.
- Fernández, D.M., D. Barroso and M. Komárek. 2016. Root water transport of Helianthus annuus L. under iron oxide nanoparticle exposure. Env. Sci. Pol. Res., 23(2): 1732-1741.
- Fernández, D.M. and M. Komárek. 2016. Comparative effects of nanoscale zero-valent iron (nZVI) and Fe2O3 nanoparticles on root hydraulic conductivity of Solanum lycopersicum L. Env. Experi. Bot., 131: 128-136.
- Liu, R., H. Zhang and R. Lal. 2016. Effects of stabilized nanoparticles of copper, zinc, manganese, and iron oxides in low concentrations on lettuce (Lactuca sativa) seed germination: Nanotoxicants or nanonutrients? Water Air Soil Poll., 227(1): 42.
- Gui, X., et al. 2015. Response difference of trans-genic and conventional rice (Oryza sativa) to nano particles (gFe2O3). Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 22(22): 17716-17723.
- Bombin, S., et. al. 2015. Developmental and reproductive effects of iron oxide nanoparticles in Arabidopsis thaliana. Int. J. Molec. Sci., 16(10): 24174-24193.
- Plaksenkova, I., et al. 2019. Effects of Fe3O4 nanoparticle stress on the growth and development of rocket Eruca sativa. J. Nanomater. DOI: 10.1155/2019/2678247.
- Mueller, N. C. and B. Nowack. 2010. Nanoparticles for remediation: Solving big problems with little particles. Elements. 6(6): 395-400.
- Tripathi, D. K., et al. 2015. Silicon-mediated alleviation of Cr (VI) toxicity in wheat seedlings as evidenced by chlorophyll florescence, laser induced breakdown spectroscopy and anatomical changes. Ecotoxicol. Env. Safety. 113: 133-144.
- Jagathesan, G. and P. Rajiv. 2018. Biosynthesis and characterization of iron oxide nanoparticles using Eichhornia crassipes leaf extract and assessing their antibacterial activity. Biocatalysis Agric. Biotech., 13: 90-94.
- Narendhran, S., P. Rajiv and R. Sivaraj. 2016. Toxicity of ZnO nanoparticles on germinating Sesamum indicum (Co-1) and their antibacterial activity. Bull. Mater. Sci., 39: 415-421.
- Yew, Y. P., et. al. 2016. Green synthesis of magnetite (Fe3O4) nanoparticles using seaweed (Kappaphycus alvarezii) extract. Nanoscale Res. Lett., 11: 276.
- Boonyanitipong, P., et al. 2011. Toxicity of ZnO and TiO2nanoparticles on germinating rice seed Oryza sativa L. Int. J. Biosci. Biochem. Bioinfo., 1(4): 282.
- Hajra, A. and N. K. Mondal. 2017. Effects of ZnO and TiO2nanoparticles on germination, biochemical and morphoanatomical attributes of Cicer arietinum L. Energy Ecol. Env., 2(4): 277-288.
- Krug, H. F. and P. Wick. 2011. Nanotoxicology: An interdisciplinary challenge. Angewandte Chemie Int. Edn., 50(6): 1260-1278.
- Khot, L. R., et al. 2012. Application of nano-materials in agricultural production and crop protection: A review. Crop Prot., 35: 64-70.