IJEP 41(3): 298-302 : Vol. 41 Issue. 3 (March 2021)
1. Annamalai University, Centre of Advanced Study in Marine Biology, Annamalai – 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
2. Karpagam Academy of Higher Education, Department of Biotechnology, Coimbatore – 641 021, Tamil Nadu, India
Halodule pinifolia, a marine angiosperm collected from the Gulf of Mannar were assayed for nitrate reductase activity in order to determine the nitrate as a sole nitrogen source. Roots, rhizomes and leaves of H. pinifolia were used in the present study and the activity observed was very low. Pre-treatment of plant parts with varying concentration of nitrate did not induce higher nitrate reductase activity. Roots at a concentration of 100 µM NaNO3 showed the maximum nitrate reductase activity (21.9 x 10-9 equiv. NO2/h.gfr.wt), followed by the leaf part at a concentration of 100 µM NaNO3 (19.65 x 10-9 equiv. NO2/h.gfr.wt). Nitrate reductase activity was not significantly influenced by varying the nitrate and propanol concentrations or pH of the assay medium. Present findings conclude that H. pinifolia does not use nitrate as a sole nitrogen source for their growth and might undergo other mechanisms, such as N2 fixation and/or ammonium uptake to reach their growth and productivity in the marine environment.
Halodule pinifolia, Enzyme, Nitrate reductase, Propanol, Pre-treatment
- Chapman, D. J. and P. J. Harrison. 1988. Nitrogen metabolism and measurement of nitrate reductase activity. In Experimental phycology. A laboratory manual. Ed. C. S. Lobban, D. J. Chapman and B. Kremer. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. pp 196-202.
- Beevers, L. and R. H. Hageman. 1969. Nitrate reduction in higher plants. Annual Rev. Plant Physiol., 20: 495-522.
- Lea, P. J. and R. C. Leegood. 1995. Plant biochemistry and molecular biology. John Wiley and Sons, New York. pp 230-247.
- Chow, F. C., V. F. R. Fernanda and M. C. D. E. Oliveira. 2007. Characterization of nitrate reductase activity in vitro in Gracilaria caudata J. Agardh. (Rhodophyta and Gracilariales) Revista. Brazilian Bot., 30(1): 123-129.
- Shaner, D. L. and J. S. Boyer. 1976. Nitrate reductase activity in maize (Zea mays L.) leaves. Plant Physiol., 58: 499-504.
- Crawford, N. M. and H. N. A. Junior. 1993. The molecular genetics of nitrate assimilation in fungi and plants. Annual Rev. Genetics. 27: 115-146.
- Chow, F., M. C. Oliveira and M. Pédersen. 2004. In vitro assay and light regulation of nitrate reductase in red alga Gracilaria chilensis. J. Plant Physiol., 161: 769-776.
- Patriquin, D. 1972. The origin of nitrogen and phosphorus for growth of the marine angiosperm Thalassiate studium. Bot. Mar., 15: 35-46.
- Patriquin, D. and R. Knowles. 1972. Nitrogen fixation in the rhizosphere of marine angiospenns. Mär. Biol., 16: 49-58.
- Thursby, G. B. and M. M. Harlin. 1984. Interaction of leaves and roots of Ruppia maritima in the uptake of phosphate, ammonia and nitrate. Mar. Biol., 83: 61-67.
- Roth, N. C. and A. M. Pregnall. 1988. Nitrate reductase activity in Zostera marina. Mar. Biol., 99: 457-463.
- Izumi, H., A. Hattori and C. P. McRoy. 1982. Ammonium regeneration and assimilation in eel grass (Zostera marina) beds. Mar. Biol., 66: 59-65.
- Doddema, H. and M. Howari. 1983. In vivo nitrate reductase activity in the seagrass Halophilasti pulacea from the Gulf of Aqaba, Jordan. Bot. Mar., 26: 307-312.
- Solomonson, L. P. and M. J. Barber. 1990. Assimilatory nitrate reductase: Functional properties and regulation. Annual Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 41: 225-253.
- Streeter, J. G. and M. E. Bosler. 1972. Comparison of in vitro and in vivo assays for nitrate reductase in soybean leaves. Plant Physiol., 49: 448-448.
- Radin, J. W. 1973. In vivo assay of nitrate reductase in cotton leaf discs. Plant Physiol., 51: 332-336.
- Izumi, H. and A. Hattori. 1982. Growth and organic production of eel grass (Zostera marina L) in temperate waters of the Pacific coast of Japan III. The kinetics of nitrogen uptake. Aquat. Bot., 12: 245-256.
- Dennison, W. C., R. C. Aller and R. S. Alberte. 1987. Sediment ammonium availability and eel grass (Zostera marina) growth. Mar. Biol., 94: 469-477.
- Saad, E. R. and H. Doddema. 1982. Metabolism of inorganic N in the halophyte Arthrocnemum fruticosum from the dead sea coast of Jordan. 2nd Arabian Conference on Biological Science.
- Harper, J. E. 1981. Effect of chlorate, nitrogen source and lighton chlorate toxicity and nitrate reductase activity in soybean leaves. Physiol. Plant. 53: 505-510.
- Baer, G. R. and G. F. Collet. 1981. In vivo determination of parameters of nitrate utilization in wheat (Triticum aestivumL.) seedlings grown with low concentration of nitrate in the nutrient solution. Plant Physiol., 68: 1237-1243.
- Vance, C. P., G.H. Heichel and D.K. Barnes. 1984. Nitrogen and carbon assimilation in medicago sativamediated by host plant genes for nodule effectiveness. In Advances in nitrogen fixation research. Ed C. Veeger and N. E. Newton. Adv. Agric. Biotech., 4: 565-571.
- Stulen, I., et al. 1981. Nitrogen metabolism of Plantagol anceolataas dependent on the supply of mineral nutrients. Physiol. Plant. 51: 93-98.
- Braaksma, F. J. and W. J. Feenstra. 1982. Nitrate reduction in the wild type and a nitrate reductase deficient mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana. Physio-logia Plantarum. 54(3): 351-360.