Drinking And Treated Water Assessment For Coliform Bacteria In A Tertiary Care Charitable Hospital

IJEP 41(4): 461-465 : Vol. 41 Issue. 4 (April 2021)

Sharad Chand1, C. S. Shastry1*, Shivakumar Hiremath2, Juno J. Joel1 and C. H. Krishna Bhat1

1. Nitte (Deemed to be University) NGSM Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Pharmacy Practice,
Mangaluru – 575 018, Karnataka, India
2. Nitte (Deemed to be University), Justice K.S. Hegde Charitable Hospital, Deralakatte, Mangaluru – 575 018, Karnataka, India


Identification of coliform bacteria is extensively used to assess the bacteriological quality of water. The objective of the study is to analyze the drinking and treated water for the level of coliform contamination. A cross-sectional study was carried out for six months after obtaining ethical clearance. A total of 43 samples of drinking and treated water were analyzed for the presence of coliform bacteria by the membrane filtration method. The results obtained were compared with the reference value of the World Health Organization, Central Pollution Control Board of India and the Karnataka State Pollution Control Board. Out of 18 samples collected from drinking water points, nine samples (50%) were found to be satisfactory and the remaining nine samples (50%) exceed the permissible range. Out of 25 treated water samples, seven samples (28%) were positive for coliform and the remaining 18 samples (72%) were negative. Suitable recommendations were given to the hospital infection control committee and maintenance department. Filters were calibrated, proper chlorine dosing was carried out and maintenance of filters was done. Coliform bacteria in treated were in permissible range of Karnataka State Pollution Control Board and Central Pollution Control Board.


Coliform bacteria, Drinking water, Membrane filtration, Treated water


  1. Fatemeh, D., et al. 2014. Rapid detection of coliforms in drinking water of Arak city using multiplex PCR method in comparison with the standard method of culture (most probably number). Asian Pacific J. Trop. Biomed., 4(5):404-409.
  2. Rompre, A., et al. 2002. Detection and enumeration of coliforms in drinking water: current methods and emerging approaches. J. Microbiol. Methods. 49(1):31-54.
  3. Bej, A.K., et al. 1990. Detection of coliform bacteria in water by a polymerase chain reaction and gene probes. Appl. Env. Microbiol., 56(2): 307-314.
  4. WHO. 1993. Guidelines for drinking water quality, (vol I, 2nd edn). World Health Organizations, Geneva.
  5. Rodríguez, D.C., et al. 2012. Microbiological quality indicators in waters of dairy farms: detection of pathogens by PCR in real-time. Sci. Total Env., 427-428:314-318.
  6. Mulamattathil, S.G., et al. 2015. Analysis of physico-chemical and bacteriological quality of drinking water in Mafikeng, South Africa. J. water health. 13(4):1143-1152.
  7. Grant, M.A. 1997. A new membrane filtration medium for simultaneous detection and enumeration of Escherichia coli and total coliforms. Appl. Env. Microbiol., 63(9):3326-3530.
  8. Toure, A., et al. 2019. Drinking water quality and risk for human health in Pelengana commune, Segou, Mali. J. Water Health. 17(4):609-621.
  9. Pant, N.D., et al. 2014. Bacteriological quality of bottled drinking water versus municipal tap water in Dharan municipality, Nepal. J. Health Population Nutrition. 35(1):17.
  10. Huttinger, A., et al. 2014. Water, sanitation and hygiene infrastructure and quality in rural healthcare facilities in Rwanda. BMC Health Serv. Res., 17(1):517.
  11. Rahman, A. and H. Rahaman. 2018. Contamination of arsenic, manganese and coliform bacteria in groundwater at Kushtia district, Bangladesh: human health vulnerabilities. J. Water Health. 16(5):782-795.
  12. Rai, K.R., et al. 2019. Diarrheal disease outbreak in Gaidatar village of Rautahat district, Nepal. BMC Res. Notes. 12(1):124.
  13. Prasai, T., et al. 2007. Microbiological analysis of drinking water of Kathmandu valley. Sci. world. 5(5): 112-114.
  14. Rubino, F., et al. 2018. Bacterial contamination of drinking water in Guadalajara, Mexico. Int. J. Env. Res. Public Health. 16(1).
  15. Salem, I.B., et al. 2011. Bacteriological and physico-chemical assessment of wastewater in different regions of Tunisia: impact on human health. BMC Res. Notes. 4:144.
  16. Onyango, A.E., et al. 2014. Microbiological quality and contamination level of water sources in Isiolo County in Kenya. J. Env. Public Health. Doi: 10.1155/2018/2139867.