IJEP 41(4): 476-480 : Vol. 41 Issue. 4 (April 2021)
Mohd Nafees and Satyendra Nath*
Sam Higginbottom University of Agriculture, Technology and Science, Department of Environmental Science and NRM, College of Forestry, Prayagraj – 211 007, India
Nowadays noise is significant environmental pollution that leads to psychological and physiological disorders. The high noise levels may have induced several health problems related to headache, annoyance, lack of concentration and other varied effects on human health. Magh Mela is a large mass gathering of pilgrims and an event of such magnitude present challenges. Due to more crowd during bathing dates (Shahisnan) at Magh Mela areas enhanced the population density and number of automobiles and also increased the noise level compared to normal days. In the present study, an attempt has been made to evaluate noise level on pre, post and mauni amawashya (bathing dates) near Sangam area during Magh Mela, 2017 and 2018 at Prayagraj (Allahabad), Uttar Pradesh, India. The maximum equivalent noise level observed were 93.0 dB at 12:00-1:00 PM, 114.1 dB at 9:00-10:00 AM and 94.8 dB at 6:00-7:00 PM and 89.8 dB at 10:00-11:00 AM, 98.7dB at 6:00-7:00 PM and 88.5 dB at 8:00-9:00 PM during pre, during and post mauni amawashya in the year 2017 and 2018, respectively. The results of the study reflected that higher noise levels during mauni amawashya (bathing date) for both year 2017 and 2018, followed by pre and post mauni amawashya and the main reason for higher noise levels during bathing dates are heavy crowds, powerful sound systems, drum and other activities performed near the Sangam areas.
Noise pollution, Monitoring, Magh Mela, Human health
- Jamrah, A., A. Al-omari and R. Sharabi. 2006. Evaluation of traffic noise pollution in Amman, Jordan. Env. Monit. Assess., 120(1-3):499-525.
- Martin, M.A., et al. 2006. Exposure affects relationships between road traffic noise annoyance and cost valuations in Valladolid, Spain. J. Appl. Acoustics. 67(10):945-652.
- WHO. 2005. Occupational and community noise. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Bhat, S. 2003. Noise and the law. India together. pp 1-6.
- Nafees, M., S. Nath and R.P. Singh. 2019. Assessment of noise pollution during Deepawali
at Allahabad. Indian J. Env. Prot., 39(4):384-386.
- Bhagwat, P.H. and P.M. Meshram. 2013. Study of noise pollution during Ganesh festival in Yavatmal city. Int. J. Pharmaceutical Chem. Sci., 2(1):496-499.
- Nafees, M. and S. Nath. 2019. Noise level during local festival, Allahabad. Ecol. Env. Conservation. 25(1):310-315.
- Nafees, M. and S. Nath. 2018. Noise levels in Dussehara at Mahewa, Allahabad, Uttar pradesh. Universals Env. Res. Tech., 7(1):56-60.