IJEP 41(5): 513-521 : Vol. 41 Issue. 5 (May 2021)
Pratap Kumar Swain, Trinath Biswal* and R. B. Panda
Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology, Department of Chemistry, Burla – 768 018, Odisha, India
The air quality assessment is carried out in different residential, commercial and industrial areas in and around Jharsuguda town, Odisha, India. The PM10, oxides of sulphur (SOx), oxides of nitrogen (NOx), are measured by the high volume sampler and it was found that not only in industrial areas but also in all residential and commercial areas the air quality is very poor as compared to the permissible limit and the quality of air is gradually decreasing in a rapid rate causing massive pollution load in the air in the command area of Jharsuguda town. The average value of PM10 varies from 549.6±84.5 to 317.5±50.4. The average value of NOx varies from 83.6±16.5 to 46.8±11.3 and that of SOx varies from 122.8±22.7 to 71.4±12.4. Rapid industriali-zation is the cause of a negative relationship in-between the ambient air quality of the sampling areas and other biochemical parameters, especially PM10 is very high and even much more beyond the tolerance limit because of rapid industrialization. Hence people are facing problem in respiration and suffering from cardiovascular and respiratory diseases. The optimal regression analysis estimates the prediction of air pollutant concentration in and around Jharsuguda town. The prediction is made from the data of different time intervals, meteorological and topographical conditions. Hence, proper planning and mechanism must have to be developed to minimize the excessive air pollutants in and around Jharsuguda town.
Suspended particulate matter, Pollutants, Air quality, Permissible limit, Pollution load, PM10
- Al-Hasnawi, S.S., et al. 2016. The effect of the industrial activities on air pollution at Baiji and its surrounding areas, Iraq. Eng., 8:34-44.
- Ghorani-Azam, A., B. Rialu-Zanjani and M. Balali-Mood. 2016. Effects of air pollution on human health and practical measures for prevention in Iran. J. Res. Med. Sci., 21(5):1-12.
- Frances, C. and Moore. 2009. Climate change and air pollution : Exploring the synergies and potential for mitigation in industrializing countries. Sustainability. 1:43-54.
- MacCracken, M. 2008. The prospects for future climate change and the reasons for early action. Env. Manage., 58:735-786.
- Behera, Bibekananda. 2018. Industrial development and human rights in Odishia : A case study of Jharsuguda district. Int. J. Humanities Social Sci. Invention. 7(10):36-43.
- Nayak, S.K., et al. 2016. Diversity of lichen flora of Odisha : A review. Studies Fungi. 1(1):114-124.
- Mendali, J.N. and L.M. Behera. 2018. Taxonomical study and medicinal uses of some oil yielding plant species of Sambalpur Sadar range of Sambalpur south forest division, Odisha. Int. J. Herbal Medicine. 6(6):92-95.
- Mishra, B. 2010. Agriculture, industry and mining in Orissa in the post liberalization era : An inter-district and inter-state panel analysis. Eco. Political Weekly. 45(20): 49-68.
- Egondi, T., et al. 2013. Community perceptions of air pollution and related health risks in Nairobi slumns. Int. J. Env. Res. Public Health. 10:4851-4968.
- Chougule, A.C., P.A. Chougule and C.K. Kumbhoje. 2017. Effect of stone cursher on ambient air quality. Int. Res. J. Eng. Tech., 7(4):2640-2644.
- Maraziotis, E., C. Marazioti and P. Marazioti. 2008. Statistical analysis of inhalable (PM10) and fine particles (PM2.5) concentrations in urban region of Patras, Greece. Global Nest J., 10(2):123-131.
- Zhao, D., et al. 2019. PM2.5/PM10ratios in eight economic regions and their relationship with meteorology in China. Advances Meteorol. DOI: 10.1155/2019/5295726.
- Padmavathi, P., J. Cherukuri and M. A. Reddy. 2015. Ambient air pollutant levels in the vicinity of NTTPS Thermal Power Plant. IOSR J. Env. Sci. Toxicol. Food Tech., 9(2):56-60.
- Chen, Y., et al. 2017. Stack and fugitive emissions of major air pollutants from typical brick kilns in China. Env. Poll., 224:421-429.
- Lin, M., et al. 2012. Regression analysis between recent air quality and visibility changes in megacities at four Haze regions in China. Aerosol Air Quality Res., 12:1049-1061.
- Vlachokostas, C., et al. 2011. Combining regression analysis and air quality modelling to predict benzene concentration levels. Atmos. Env., 45(15):2585-2592.
- Bhati, L. R. and J. choudhury. 2019. Organization climate and job satisfaction : A study in Action Ispat and Power Ltd., Jharsuguda (Odisha). Int. J. Adv. Res., Ideas Innovation Tech., 5(3):1635-1647.
- Brief industrial profile of Jharsuguda district, Odisha, Govt. of India, Ministry of MSME. Available at : www.msmedicuttack.gov.in.