IJEP 41(6): 649-657 : Vol. 41 Issue. 6 (June 2021)
Sri Krishna College of Engineering and Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, Coimbatore, India
Rapid industrialization and population explosion in India have led to the migration of peoples from villages to cities which increase human settlement in the world’s growing cities and towns. This generates several issues with regard to the environment. Environmental impact assessment (EIA) is becoming a very important study before commissioning any project plan or development in our country. In order to study either its beneficial or harmful effect; evaluation of any project through EIA has become a must. Indian construction industry is rapidly growing at a rate of 9.2% as against the world average of 5.5%. Undertaking EIA for the construction industry and improving site management can reduce environmental impacts both on and off-site . Several agencies use procedures for EIA of construction projects which might result in significant environmental impacts. The EIA study is necessary to prepare a detailed account of the environmental impact of the proposed activity so that appropriate interventions could be taken. An attempt has been made in this project to study the environmental impact of building construction project using computer-based analysis methodology. The study focuses on various parameters, such as total area, parking area, rainwater harvesting system, basement area, sewage treatment plant, water quality, solid waste, source of water, depth of groundwater, distance from the city centre, nearest sensitive zones and overall settlement density. The plan seeks to define the project in a holistic manner and suggest possible mitigation measures for development. The primary purpose of the study is to establish a consensus vision of an eco-friendly of building environment over the next five years.
Environmental impact assessment, Term of references, State expert appraisal committee (SEAC)
- Dongre, G., et al. 2014. Criteria based decision support system for environmental clearance in Amreli and Junagarh districts using geo-informatics. Int. J. Eng. Res. Tech., 3(2): 1434-1438.
- Kevin, F. R. L. and L. Jia-Hong. 2009. Decision support for environmental impact assessment: A hybrid approach using fuzzy logic and fuzzy analytic network progress. Expert System Applications. 36(3): 5119-5136.
- Singh, B. P. 2013. Environmental impact assessment: Do we really need a shift from EIA. Int. J. Env. Eng. Manage., 4(3): 227-232.
- Opoku, A. S. 2001. Environmental impact assessment in developing countries: The case of Ghana. Env. Assess. Impact Review. 21(1): 59-71.
- Subramani, T., M. Kavitha and P. Gandhimathi. 2012. Environmental impact assessment in Kannankurchi town panchayat. Int. J. Eng. Res. Application. 2(3): 3170-3174.
- Adil, S. M. H. and A. Chandra. 2004. Decision support system for environmental impact assessment using fuzzy logic. International Conference on Energy and environment – Strategies for sustainable development (ICEE-SSD). Proceedings, pp 23-24.
- Suthar, S. and A. Sajwan. 2014. Rapid impact assessment matrix (RIAM) analysis as decision tool to select new site for municipal solid waste disposal: A case study of Dehradun city, India. Sustainable Cities Society. 13: 12-19.
- Dutta, A. B. and I. Sengupta. 2014. Environmental impact assessment (EIA) and construction. Int. Res. J. Env. Sci., 3(1): 58-61.
- Mondal, M. K., Rashmi and B. V. Dasgupta. 2010. EIA of municipal solid waste disposal site in Varanasi using RIAM analysis. Res. Conservation Recyc., 54(9): 541-546.
- Tiwari, V. K., V. Dutta and M. Yunus. 2014. A comparative study of environmental impact assessment reports of housing projects of Lucknow city, Uttar Pradesh, India. Env. Urbanization. 6(2): 176-192. DOI: 10.1177/0975425315591423.
- Mallick, M. and A. Singh. 2014. Potential benefits and challenges in applying regional EIA: A case study of special investment regions in India. J. Env. Prot., 5(1): 29-34. DOI: 10.4236/jep.2014.51004.
- Rachida, H. and C. Samia. 2013. Expert system for environmental impact assessment. Int. J. Eng. Res. Tech., 2(12): 2723-2728.