IJEP 41(7): 816-826 : Vol. 41 Issue. 7 (July 2021)
1. Hospital El Ghassani, Regional Laboratory of Epidemiologic Diagnosis and Hygiene of the Medium, Regional Management of Health, Fez, Morocco
2. High School of Technology, Laboratory of Catalysis, Materials and Environment, Fez, Morocco
3. Ibn Tofail University, Laboratory of Materials, Electrochemistry and Environment, Faculty of Sciences, Kenitra, Morocco
4. Sidi Mohamed Ben Abdellah University, Laboratory of Natural Resources and Environment, Faculty of Polydisciplinary of Taza, Route of Oujda, Taza, Morocco
5. Moulay Ismail University, Faculty of Sciences, Department of Chemistry, Materials, Membranes and Processes of Separation Team, Zitoune, Meknes, Morocco
This work is part of the characterization of the chemistry of water for irrigation in the region of Fez in Morocco. To carry out this study, 22 samples were taken during two different periods of the year (high water period and rainy return period). Principal component analysis (PCA) applied to the data sets revealed that among the eighteen variables studied, fourteen participate in the constitution of the factor axes. The four remaining variables, namely pH, Ni, Co and As, therefore, do not play an important role in determining the typology of the biotope studied. Moreover, the results obtained indicate that the physico-chemical and toxic (heavy metals) quality of the water used for crop irrigation still does not meet the criteria for use in agriculture. The irrigation water used in the stations located downstream of the industrial discharges of the city of Fez is characterized by high percentages of heavy metals, such as chromium. The protection of water resources and the treatment of polluted water are necessary to ensure that this water can be used in agriculture.
Principal component analysis, Heavy metals, Physico-chemical, Water quality, Fez, Morocco
- O.M.S. 1989. Use of wastewater in agriculture: Recommendations for sanitary purposes. WHO report 778, Geneva.
- Bouaicha, R. and A. Benabdelfadel. 2010. Variability and management of surface water in Morocco. Drought. 21(1): 1-5.
- Glaizal, M., et al. 2015. Post-urine assays of heavy metal chelation and pseudoscience: Action must be taken. Analy. Clinical. 27(2).
- Alibou, J. 2002. Impacts of climate change on water resources and wetlands in Morocco. Regional Round Table in the Mediterranean Athens, Greece. pp 1-39.
- Chahlaoui, A., et al. 1997. Quantitative analysis of the water quality of the Boufekrane wadi, Morocco. Bulletin Natural History Society. 133: 71-76.
- Derwich, E., et al. 2008. Assessment of the quality of surface water from Oueds Fès and Sebou used in market gardening in Morocco. Larhyss J., 7(6): 59-77.
- A.B.H.S. 2003. Water resources in the Sebou basin, Bilan 2000-2001. Sebou Hydraulic Basin Agency, Fez, Morocco.
- Benaabidate, L. 2000. Characterization of the Sebou watershed, hydrology, water quality and geochemistry of thermal springs. Thesis in Hydrology at FST- Sais.
- Azzaoui, S. 2002. Copper, lead and manganese in the Sebou catchment area. Sources Contribution Impact Quality Surface Water. 37(4): 733-784.
- El Ouchy, M., et al. 2016. Analytical validation of method for control of pH and electrical conductivity. J. Chem. Pharm. Res., 8(6):477-484.
- El Ouchy, M., et al. 2014. Confirmation of validation of the method for the determination of nitrite, nitrate and orthophosphate in the water by colorimeter. J. Mater. Env. Sci., 5(S1): 2293-2302.
- Rodier, J. 1996. The analysis of water (7th edn). Ed Dunod. Paris.
- Rodier, J., L. Bernard and M. Nicole. 2009. Water analysis (9th edn). Ed Dunod. Paris.
- Sampling guide. 2006. Sampling techniques for physico-chemical analyzes. The river quality group led by the Loire-Bretagne Water Agency.
- Official Bulletin, N ° 5062-30 ramadan 1423.2002. Kingdom of Morocco.
- Normes and Standards Committee. 1994. Ministry of the Environment of Morocco.
- Lalami, A. El Ouali. 2011. Surface water pollution in the city of Fez in Morocco: Typology, origin and consequences. Larhyss J., 9(12): 55-72.
- Derwich, E., et al. 2011. Physico-chemical characterization of the waters of the alluvial aquifers of the upper Sebou downstream of its confluence with the Fez wadi. Larhyss J., 8(6): 101-112.
- Makhoukh, M., et al. 2011. Contribution to the physico-chemical study of surface waters of Oued Moulouya. Larhyss J., 9:149-169.
- Neal, C., et al. 2000a. The water quality of the river Kennet: Initial observations on a lowland chalk stream impacted by sewage inputs and phosphorus remediation. Sci. Total Env., 251/252: 477- 495.
- Moussa, A. B., A. Chahlaoui and R. El Habib. 2013. Change in the physico-chemical quality of Oued Khoumane water in the vicinity of the town of Moulay Idriss Zerhoun, Morocco. Sci. Lib. J., 5.
- Gouaidia, L. 2008. Influence of lithology and climatic conditions on the variation of the physico-chemical parameters of the water of a water table in semi-arid zone, case of the North-East Algerian Meskiana water table. Doctoral Thesis. Faculty of Earth Sciences, Badji Mokhtar-Annaba University, Algeria.
- Khamar, M. 2002. Study of the load of metals in water, sediments, soils and agricultural productions irrigated by wastewater of the city of Fez. Doctoral Thesis. Faculty of Science Dhar El Mahraz, Fez.
- Foudeil, S., et al. 2013. Study of heavy metal pollution in Oued Sebou (Morocco). Sci. Lib. J., 5.
- Chen, W., et al. 2013. Accumulation of Cd in agricultural soil under long-term reclaimed water irrigation. Env. Poll., 178: 294-299.
- Amri, N., et al..2007. Evaluation of the heavy metals accumulate in samples of the sediments, soils and plant by Icpoes with the average Sebou. J. Condensed Matter. 8(1).
- Bouthir, F. Z. 2006. Impact of industrial discharges on the environment. Mar. Life. 16:37-47.
- Koumolou, L., et al. 2013. Health-risk market garden production linked to heavy metals in irrigation water in Benin. Comptes Rendus Biologies. 336:278–283.