IJEP 41(7): 810-815 : Vol. 41 Issue. 7 (July 2021)
Dr Sudhir Chandra Sur Degree Engineering College, Department of Civil Engineering, Kolkata – 700 074, West Bengal, India
The present research work is done with a goal of achieving a successful way to recycle the municipal wastewater for non-potable daily uses, like toilet flushing, washing, watering in gardens, etc., with a minimum technical knowledge, cost and labour. Grab samples were collected for characterization and performance study on the municipal wastewater. In order to fulfill this objective a suitable channel is selected carrying municipal sewage water from nearby locality. The disposal of such wastewater without any treatment process is going on day by day and thereby creating the alarming situation in surface water quality. The purpose of the present study was to provide a viable treatment option for the sake of recycling. The research was mainly focused on minimum treatment option for municipal wastewater so that the treated effluent could be recycled for non-potable daily uses.
Recycling, municipal wastewater, non-potable uses, characterization, performance study
- Devi, M. G., et al. 2008. Wastewater reuse and recycling systems : A perspectives into India and Australia. International Water Management Institute. pp 1-44.
- Jefterson, B., et al. 1999. Technologies for domestic wastewater recycling. In Urban water 1. Elsevier Science. pp 285-292.
- Kamizoulis, G., et al. Wastewater recycling and reuse practices in meditterranean region. Recommended guidelines. pp 1-22.
- Azarpanah, A. and A. Hajgozar. 2012. Recycle and reuse of wastewater practices in middle east agriculture. The 1st International and the 4th National Congress on Recycling of organic waste in agriculture. Proceedings, pp 1-6.
- Asano, T. 2002. Water from wastewater–The dependable water resource. Water Sci. Tech., 48(8): 23-33.
- Jhansi, S.C. and S.K. Mishra. 2013. Wastewater treatment and reuse : Sustainability options. J. Sustainable Develop., 10(1):1-15.
- USEPA. Primer for municipal wastewater treatment systems. EPA 832-R-04-001. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of water office of Wastewater Management, Washington, D.C.
- Morud, J. Reclamation and reuse of wastewater. pp 1-10.
- Mayer, P.W., et al. 1999. Residential end uses of water. American WaterWorks Association Research Foundation, AWWA, USA.
- Vigneswaran, S. and M. Sundravadivel. Recycle and reuse of domestic wastewater. Encylopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS). pp 1-29.
- NRC. 1998. Issues in potable reuse-The variability of augmenting drinking water supplies with reclaimed water. National Research Council. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C.
- IS 10500. 1991. Drinking water specification (1st revision). Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.