IJEP 41(9): 1066-1070 : Vol. 41 Issue. 9 (September 2021)
1. Annamalai University, Department of Civil Engineering, Annamalai Nagar – 608 002, Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu, India
2. Chennai Institute of Technology, Chennai – 600 069, Tamil Nadu, India
A laboratory-scale anaerobic expanded granular sludge bed reactor (EGSBR) was designed and fabricated to treat slaughterhouse wastewater. The reactor was continuously run at an organic loading rate of 0.013 and 0.014 kgCOD/m3/day, below the mesophilic level. The result showed that the extended granular sludge bed reactor was stable. The period was determined to be between the 54th day and the 61st day and these days showed maximum removal efficiency. The volatile fatty acids started to accumulate during the start-up era, from the 18th day to the 27th day. The pH level also declined during these stages. The stabilization phase was started at the end of the 52nd day onwards with the help of bacterial consortium. An initial organic loading rate proved useful for the propagation of anaerobic active sludge and reduced organic chemical oxygen demand loading resulted in lower gas production and higher wastewater upflow velocity.
Chemical oxygen demand, Expanded granular sludge bed reactor, Mesophilic, Organic loading rate, Slaugh-terhouse wastewater, Volatile fatty acid
- Barrera, M., et al. 2012. Photolytic treatment of organic constituents and bacterial pathogens in secondary effluent of synthetic slaughterhouse wastewater. Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 90(9):1335-1350.
- Bustillo-Lecompte, C., M. Mehrvar and E. Quiflones-Bolanos. 2016. Slaughterhouse wastewater characterization and treatment, an economic and public health necessity of the meat processing industry in Ontario, Canada. J. Geosci. Env. Prot., 1:175-186.
- Jeison, D. and R. Chamy. 1999. Comparison of the behaviour of expanded granular sludge bed (EGSB) and upflow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) reactors in dilute and concentrated wastewater treatment. Water Sci. Tech., 10:91-97.
- Seif, H. and A. Moursy. 2001. Treatment of Slaughterhouse Wastes Sanitary Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering, Alaexandria University. 6th International Water technology Conference (IWTC 2001). Alexandria, Egypt. Proceedings, pp 269-275.
- Rajakumar, R. 2010. Treatment of poultry slaughterhouse wastewater in upflow anaerobic filter under low upflow velocity. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 8:149-158.
- Masse, D.I. and I. Masse. 2000. Characterization of wastewater from hog slaughterhouses in eastern Canada and evaluation of their in-plant wastewater treatment systems. Canadian Agric. Eng., 42:139-146.
- Yoochatchaval, W. 2008. Characteristics of granular sludge in an EGSB reactor for treating low strength wastewater. Int. J. Env. Res., 2:319-328.
- Seni, K. and W. Phajee. 2009. Effects of upflow liquid velocity on performance of expanded granular sludge bed (EGSB) system. IJCEEE. 13:141-144.
- Zhang, R., et al. 2007. characterization of food waste as feedstock for anaerobic digestion. Bioresour. Tech., 98:929-935.
- Shin, S.G., et al. 2010. A comprehensive microbial insight into two stage anaerobic digestion of food waste recycling wastewater. Water Res., 44:1838-1849.
- Van der Last, A.R.M. and G. Lettinga. 1992. Anaerobic treatment of domestic sewage under moderate climatic (Dutch) conditions using upflow reactors at increased superficial velocities. Water Sci. Tech., 25:167-178.
- Van Lier, J.B., et al. 2001. Advances in high-rate anaerobic treatment : The staging of reactor system. Water Sci. Tech., 14:15-25.
- Yi, J. C., et al. 2009. A review of the anaerobic aerobic treatment of industrial and municipal wastewater. Chem. Eng. J., 155:1-8.
- Stroot, P.G., et al. 2001. Anaerobic co-digestion of municipal solid waste and biosolids under various mixing conditions. I. Digester performance. Waste Res., 15:1804-1816.
- Kuscu, O.S. and D.I. Sponza. 2005. Performance of anaerobic baffled reactor (ABR) treating synthetic wastewater containing p-nitrophenol. Enzyme Microb. Tech., 36:888-895.
- Vos Soughi, M., M. Shakeri and I. Alemzadeh. 2003. Performance of anaerobic baffled reactor treating synthetic wastewater influenced by decreasing COD/SO4ratios. Chem. Eng. Process. 12:811-816.
- Ji, G.D., et al. 2009. Anaerobic baffled reactor (ABR) for treating heavy oil produced water with high concentrations of salt and poor nutrient. Bioresour. Tech., 100:1108-1114.
- Bodkhe, S.Y. 2009. A modified anaerobic battled reactor for municipal wastewater treatment. J. Env. Manage., 90:2488-2493.
- Bhuvaneswari, A., B. Asha and T. Saranya. 2015. Start-up and enhancement of granulation in an anaerobic baffled reactor for the treatment of textile wastewater. IJET. 5:11-16.
- Roshani, A., et al. 2011. Operational start-up performance of an innovative anaerobic stage reactor (ASR) using synthetic wastewater. IPCBEE. 12:133-137.