IJEP 42(10): 1216-1224 : Vol. 42 Issue. 10 (October 2022)
1. Amtek Auto Ltd., Gurugram, Haryana, India
2. Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, School of Mathematics, Applied Statistics and Analytics, Mumbai – 400 056, Maharashtra, India
3. Amity University Noida – 201 301, Uttar Pradesh, India
4. Amity University, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, ASET, Noida – 201 301, Uttar Pradesh, India
The global environmental challenges have forced automobile manufacturing firms to implement practices that will reduce their impact on the environment. Over the years eco-friendly concepts have been developed to shift from traditional supply chain management to Green Supply chain management. The current paper attempts to study the Green Supply chain practices adopted by automobile manufacturing firms and their impact on lean supply chain management and the overall performance of the organization. Quantum surveys have been done across various Automobile Organizations, with a sample size of 360 respondents for various automobile organizations. A good model fit was achieved that shows Green Supply chain activities have an impact on lean performance and the overall performance of an organization. The findings of the studies can help the researcher, experts, and practitioners to study and implement the green supply chain practices in the organization which would further support in reducing environmental issues which are major challenges for developing countries.
Supply chain management, Green supply chain management, Structural equation modeling (SEM), Lean supply chain management, Operational performance
- Li, S., et al. 2006. The impact of supply chain management practices on competitive advantage and organizational performance. Omega. 34(2):107-124. DOI: 10.1016/j.omega.2004.08.002.
- Sukati, I., et al. 2012. The study of supply chain management strategy and practices on supply chain performance. Procedia Social Behavioral Sci., 40: 225-233. DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.03.185.
- Monczka, R. M., et al. 1998. Success factors in strategic supplier alliances: The buying company perspective. Decision Sci., 29(3):553–577. DOI: 10.1111/j.1540-5915.1998.tb01354.x.
- Tachizawa, E.M. and C.Y. Wong. 2014. Towards a theory of multi-tier sustainable supply chains: A systematic literature review. Supply Chain Manage. Int. J., 19(5/6):643-663. DOI: 10.1108/SCM-02-2014-0070.
- Baliga, R., R.D. Raut and S.S. Kamble. 2019a. Sustainable supply chain management practices and performance. Manage. Env. Quality Int. J., 31(5): 1147–1182. DOI: 10.1108/MEQ-04-2019-0079.
- Mutingi, M. 2013. Developing green supply chain management strategies: A taxonomic approach. J. Ind. Eng. Manage., 6(2). DOI: 10.3926/jiem.4758.
- Chin, T.A., H.H. Tat and Z. Sulaiman. 2015. Green supply chain management, environmental collaboration and sustainability performance. Procedia CIRP. 26:695–699. DOI: 10.1016/j.procir.2014. 07.035.
- Beamon, B. M. 1999. Designing the green supply chain. Logistics Inf. Manage., 12(4):332–342. DOI; 10.1108/09576059910284159.
- Lettice, F., C. Wyatt and S. Evans. 2010a. Buyer–supplier partnerships during product design and development in the global automotive sector: Who invests, in what and when? Int. J. Prod. Eco., 127(2):309–319. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.08. 007.
- Olugu, E.U., K.Y. Wong and A.M. Shaharoun. 2010. A comprehensive approach in assessing the performance of an automobile closed-loop supply chain. Sustainability. 2(4):871–889. DOI: 10.3390/su2040871.
- Luthra, S., Baliga, R., R.D. Raut and S.S. Kamble. 2011. Barriers to implement green supply chain management in automobile industry using interpretive structural modelling technique: An Indian perspective. J. Ind. Eng. Manage., 4(2):231-257. DOI: 10.3926/jiem.2011.v4n2.p231-257.
- Lam, H. L., B.S. How and B.H. Hong. 2015. Green supply chain toward sustainable industry development (chapter 12). Assess. Measur. Env. Impact Sustainability. pp 409–449. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-799968-5.00012-9.
- Panigrahi, S.S., B. Bahinipati and V. Jain. 2019. Sustainable supply chain management. Manage. Env. Quality Int. J., 30(5):1001-1049. DOI: 10.110 8/MEQ-01-2018-0003.
- Mann, B.J.S. and H. Kaur. 2020. Sustainable supply chain activities and financial performance: An Indian experience. Vision J. Business Perspective. 24(1):60-69. DOI: 10.1177/0972262919863189.
- Joshi, S. and P. Rana. 2020. Management practices for sustainable supply chain and its impact on economic performance of SMEs: An analytical study of Uttarakhand state, India. Int. J. Manage., 11(10):346-354.
- Rao, P. and D. Holt. 2005. Do green supply chains lead to competitiveness and economic performance? Int. J. Operations Prod. Manage., 25(9): 898–916. DOI: 10.1108/01443570510613956.
- Tortorella, G. L., R. Miorando and D. Tlapa. 2017. Implementation of lean supply chain: An empirical research on the effect of context. TQM J., 29(4): 610–623. DOI: 10.1108/TQM-11-2016-0102.
- Singh, R.K. and S. Modgil. 2020. Assessment of lean supply chain practices in Indian automotive industry. Global Business Review. DOI: 10.1177/0972150919890234.
- Thongrawd, C., et al. The mediating role of operational and environmental performance in the relationship between green supply chain management and financial performance. Int. J. Supply Chain Manage., 8(4):258–268.
- Abdallah, A.B. and W.S. Al-Ghwayeen. 2019. Green supply chain management and business performance. Business Process Manage. J., 26(2): 489–512. DOI: 10.1108/BPMJ-03-2018-0091.
- Balon, V., A.K. Sharma and M.K. Barua. 2016. Assessment of barriers in green supply chain management using ISM: A case study of the automobile industry in India. Global Business Review. 17(1): 116–135. DOI: 10.1177/0972150915610701.
- Neeharik, et al. 2018. Essentials in construction industry. Indian J. Env. Prot., 38(4):28-277.
- Gawai, K.J. and D.S. Ramteke. 2018. Assessment of municipal solid waste management of Amravati city and sustainable remedies. Indian J. Env. Prot., 38(4):291-301.
- Ravi, V. and R. Shankar. 2005. Analysis of interactions among the barriers of reverse logistics. Tech. Forecasting Social Change. 72(8):1011-1029. DOI: 10.1016/j.techfore.2004.07.002.
- Hsu, C.W. and A.H. Hu. 2008. Green supply chain management in the electronic industry. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 5(2):205–216. DOI: 10.1007/BF03326 014.
- Mudgal, R.K., et al. 2009. Greening the supply chain practices: An Indian perspective of enablers’ relationships. Int. J. Adv. Operations Manage., 1(2/3):151. DOI: 10.1504/IJAOM.2009.030671.
- Kannan, G., et al. 2008. Analysis and selection of green suppliers using interpretative structural modelling and analytic hierarchy process. Int. J. Manage. Decision Making. 9(2):163. DOI: 10.1504/IJMDM.2008.017198.
- Srivastava, S. K. 2007. Green supply-chain management: A state-of-the-art literature review. Int. J. Manage. Reviews. 9(1):53–80. DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-2370.2007.00202.x.
- Hosseini, A. 2007. Identification of green management system’s factors: A conceptualized model. Int. J. Manage. Sci. Eng. Manage., 2(3):221-228. DOI: 10.1080/17509653.2007.10671022.
- Sarkar, A. and P.K.J. Mohapatra. 2006. Evaluation of supplier capability and performance: A method for supply base reduction. J. Purchasing Supply Manage., 12(3):148-163. DOI: 10.1016/j.pursup.2006.08.003.
- Cronbach, L. J. 1947. Test reliability: Its meaning and determination. Psychometrika. 12(1):1-16.
- Hokey, M. and I. Kim. 2012. Green supply chain research: Past, present and future. Logistics Res., 4(1): 39-47.