IJEP 42(11): 1367-1375 : Vol. 42 Issue. 11 (November 2022)
Abraham Mulualem Teshome*
Debre Markos University, Department of Geology, College of Natural Sciences, Debre Markos, Ethiopia
The study area is located in Injibara town in Amhara regional state. The objective of this study was to investigate groundwater potential zones of the area for the supply of Awi University using geophysical methods particularly, vertical electrical sounding. The groundwater potential investigation considered different options based on information interpreted from geological, hydrogeological and geophysical observations as well as previous reports done in the area and data from existing wells in the study area. Hydrogeological site delineation was carried out and then followed by geophysical investigation. Schlumberger array type of electrode configuration was used to delineate the saturation zones. Tarmaber Gussa formation, quaternary vesicular basalt, covers the depth of the aquifer in selected sites. Weathering, fracturing, vesicles, intergranular pore space and contacts between different lithologic units and lineaments are the major conduits and storage of groundwater in the area. The vertical electrical sounding field data were fed to computer programmer IPI2W software. The software plots graphs and gives different resistivity layers with their thickness. Finally, the data was interpreted. Based on the hydrogeological and geophysical investigations, spring source has been proposed as first priority with corresponding groundwater source as second option for Awi University.
Groundwater, Groundwater exploration, Geophysical method, Vertical electrical sounding, Aquifer
- Abreha, A.G. 2014. Hydrogeochemical and water quality investigation on irrigation and drinking water supplies in the Mekelle region, northern Ethiopia. M.Sc. thesis. University of Twente, The Netherlands.
- Lawrence, A., et al. 2000. Groundwater evolution beneath Hat Yai, a rapidly developing city in Thailand. Hydrogeol. J.,8(5):564-575.
- Sharp Jr, J.M., 1997. Groundwater supply issues in urban and urbanizing areas. Springer Science and Business Media.
- Mostafa, R., et al. 2011. Verification of surface-groundwater connectivity in an irrigation canal using geophysical, water balance and stable isotope approaches. Water resour. manage.,25(11):2837
- Alemayehu, T. 2006. Groundwater occurrence in Ethiopia. Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia.
- Kebed, S. 2012. Groundwater in Ethiopia: features, numbers and opportunities. In Groundwater in the urban environment : Problems, processes and management. Ed J. Chilton, et al. 27th Congress of the International Association of Hydrogeologists. Nottingham, The Netherlands.